Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenGL 3.0, GLSL 1.3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OpenGL 3.0, GLSL 1.3

    Congratulations (and thanks). This is a huge step and should not go unnoticed.

    Additional info for r600g: The env var R600_GLSL130=1 enables GLSL 1.3. Along with R600_STREAMOUT=1, it enables full GL 3.
    Code:
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV710
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 8.0-devel (git-10c8552)
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30

  • #2
    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    Congratulations (and thanks). This is a huge step and should not go unnoticed.
    Code:
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV710
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 8.0-devel (git-10c8552)
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
    yes!!!! nice *Party-time*

    with mesa8 my desktop(KDE) runs really fast on my hd4770 really means REALLY.
    my last catalyst test shows to my that my pc is just ILL without the radeon driver.
    webM videos in firefox on youtube also run fine.

    dropping adobe flash and catalyst was a great idea

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
      webM videos in firefox on youtube also run fine.
      In what way does Firefox and its webM rendering use Mesa functionality? Or was this just a side note?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by aceman View Post
        In what way does Firefox and its webM rendering use Mesa functionality? Or was this just a side note?
        Catalyst (fglrx) has massive tearing when any kind of video is played, mesa does not suffer from this problem.
        (side-note: in the blob you can use the TearFree option to get rid of that tearing, I know, but then your video gets really laggy)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by aceman View Post
          In what way does Firefox and its webM rendering use Mesa functionality? Or was this just a side note?
          google chrome use mesa to run webM with shaders.

          and not it is not a side note radeon+mesa+firefox just run fine.

          with fglrx/catalyst not really.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Aquous View Post
            Catalyst (fglrx) has massive tearing when any kind of video is played, mesa does not suffer from this problem.
            (side-note: in the blob you can use the TearFree option to get rid of that tearing, I know, but then your video gets really laggy)
            I think this is the job of the X.org driver (xorg-video-ati). In OSS land, you have the X.org driver named "radeon" (=mode setting, EXA acceleration, v-sync stuff) + Mesa (OpenGL). I think fglrx provides functionality of both so it can affect the video playback in Firefox.
            I just don't think Mesa has anything to do with Firefox video so far. I has with WebGL. See in about:support, Graphics section. Do you have OpenGL accelerated windows there? This acceleration is disabled by default on Linux yet.
            I am a Firefox bug triager, I can look at bug reports if you have filed any on bugzilla.mozilla.org.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by aceman View Post
              I think this is the job of the X.org driver (xorg-video-ati). In OSS land, you have the X.org driver named "radeon" (=mode setting, EXA acceleration, v-sync stuff) + Mesa (OpenGL). I think fglrx provides functionality of both so it can affect the video playback in Firefox.
              I just don't think Mesa has anything to do with Firefox video so far. I has with WebGL. See in about:support, Graphics section. Do you have OpenGL accelerated windows there? This acceleration is disabled by default on Linux yet.
              I am a Firefox bug triager, I can look at bug reports if you have filed any on bugzilla.mozilla.org.
              It depends how the video is rendered and whether there is a compositor running or not. If there is a compositor running, it is the compositors job to avoid tearing since it controls updates to the scanout buffer. If there is no compositor running, then it depends on how the video is rendered. If the video app is using GL to render, it would work similarly to the compositor case (the GL app rendering the video would handle it). If the app is using Xv, then the ddx (xf86-video-ati, etc.) can attempt to avoid tearing.

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks, that is similar to what I was saying. That compositor is not part of Mesa. And it depends more on the X.org driver. As we are talking specific application here, Firefox, it does not use OpenGL for video. Something like mplayer -vo gl2 would use it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by aceman View Post
                  Thanks, that is similar to what I was saying. That compositor is not part of Mesa. And it depends more on the X.org driver. As we are talking specific application here, Firefox, it does not use OpenGL for video. Something like mplayer -vo gl2 would use it.
                  its much more simple: mesa/radeon works perfekt for me with kde4.8+firefox and catalyst does NOT!

                  simple fact.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Good for you. I am not that happy with Mesa so far Mesa 8 even getting worse than 7.11.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by aceman View Post
                      Good for you. I am not that happy with Mesa so far Mesa 8 even getting worse than 7.11.
                      really what is your problem ?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Not sure what you ask now
                        But don't worry, I was always 100% on radeon+mesa. Just that Mesa is not yet giving me what I need in 3D and 8 has some new regressions.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by aceman View Post
                          Not sure what you ask now
                          But don't worry, I was always 100% on radeon+mesa. Just that Mesa is not yet giving me what I need in 3D and 8 has some new regressions.
                          8 isn't final right now. and they maybe the next release 8.1.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by aceman View Post
                            Just that Mesa is not yet giving me what I need in 3D and 8 has some new regressions.
                            What regressions do you speak of? I am using Mesa 7.11 at the moment, so I can not doubt your claim, but I am curious.

                            By the way, how do you get YouTube and WebM to work anyhow? I could never get it working right. I am using Chromium on Fedora 16.

                            And, finally, great work developers!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                              What regressions do you speak of? I am using Mesa 7.11 at the moment, so I can not doubt your claim, but I am curious.
                              Wrong planet rendering in Celestia, garbage display in glxgears when window is maximized, Scorched3D very slow and missing features in the scene. I am on RV710, R600g.
                              I also have start-crash of google-earth (regression from 7.10 that was in 7.11 too) but it happens on software rendering too. So either it is some code Mesa problem (not specific to R600g) or some of my other system libs.

                              But yes, I am testing some development snapshot, not even sure if it is close before 8 or it is early version of 8.1. So I will check 8.0 final comes out. So take this with a big grain of salt.

                              Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                              By the way, how do you get YouTube and WebM to work anyhow? I could never get it working right. I am using Chromium on Fedora 16.
                              Dunno, I am using Firefox and Youtube+WebM works. Can't say for the speed of it, I use the flash version so far.
                              Quaridarium is the pro here on this.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X