6850 on Ubuntu Oneiric

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6850 on Ubuntu Oneiric

I'm considering upgrading to 6850. Anyone know if it works fine out of the box (open drivers) on Ubuntu Oneiric 11.10? I don't care about 3D, except to the degree that Compiz does.

Or if you know 6870 works/doesn't, I'll take that too imply the same for 6850.

Alternatively, I might be persuaded to rely on fglrx, if it's possible to get real video acceleration without jumping through hoops - i.e. just installing packages from default repos. I have no idea what the state of that is.

Should work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      Should work fine.
      and hdmi audio ?

Comment

Not yet. (stupid 10 char...)

Comment

Not yet. (stupid 10 char...)
          "NOT yet" vs "Should work fine."

maybe write it next time like this "should work fine.* *=NOT YET"

Comment

Thanks for that. I really appreciate it. You've added a lot of useful information to this thread. It's genuinely helpful to someone looking for help.

Comment

Thanks for that. I really appreciate it. You've added a lot of useful information to this thread. It's genuinely helpful to someone looking for help.
              yes sorry. i count this as a ironic phrase.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                "NOT yet" vs "Should work fine."

maybe write it next time like this "should work fine.* *=NOT YET"
                The original poster asked about enough support to run Compiz. Response was "should work fine". A separate, completely different question was asked about HDMI audio, response was "not yet".

Wondering why the responses to two different questions need to be combined into a single answer in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  The original poster asked about enough support to run Compiz. Response was "should work fine". A separate, completely different question was asked about HDMI audio, response was "not yet".

Wondering why the responses to two different questions need to be combined into a single answer in the first place.
                  for me a pc without sound is a broken pc. and its not "fine"

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                    for me a pc without sound is a broken pc. and its not "fine"
                    Sure, but lack of HDMI audio doesn't mean a PC without sound, it means a PC without the ability to route the sounds to an HDMI-attached TV or audio system.

Comment

Sure, but lack of HDMI audio doesn't mean a PC without sound, it means a PC without the ability to route the sounds to an HDMI-attached TV or audio system.
                      for a consumer this means 2 possible ways: he get a system without sound or he need to buy a analog sound system for maybe 50 .

and i know AMD is the first company in the world paying customers 50 for an obsolete analog sound system.

Comment

Hold on, are you claiming that *most* consumer users rely on an HDMI-attached TV for their only sound source ?

I know that *some* rely on HDMI audio for their only sound source (it's pretty much the standard HTPC config) but AFAIK most consumer users still either use built-in speakers (laptops, all-in-ones) or cheap external speakers.

Comment

Getting a bit side tracked I see...

I have no need for HDMI audio, so it should indeed work fine for my purposes. I use an analog sound system and/or a headset. That's certainly a requirement I would have mentioned, if I needed it.

Thanks for that info, agd5f.

Now anyone know about fglrx and video acceleration?
                          Last edited by Otus; 01-06-2012, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Otus View Post
                            Now anyone know about fglrx and video acceleration?
                            The va-api/xvba wrapper from splitted desktop is a dead-end, although it was better than no acceleration and I'm glad the dev got a nice gig at Intel.
                            This article (and relevant discussion) should answer your question: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTAyODU[/code]

Comment

Hold on, are you claiming that *most* consumer users rely on an HDMI-attached TV for their only sound source ?

I know that *some* rely on HDMI audio for their only sound source (it's pretty much the standard HTPC config) but AFAIK most consumer users still either use built-in speakers (laptops, all-in-ones) or cheap external speakers.
                              "most" i don't know market share numbers but my system right now do only have hdmi sound.

and: "(it's pretty much the standard HTPC config) " is not SOME standard means MOST.

you're contradicting yourself!

Standard=most

and: " but AFAIK most consumer users "use--> [WINDOWS]

sure there are many brain-death Windows users with a HDMI monitor with sound and a cheap analog soundsystem to.

there are many stupid people around the world sure!

and in the end AMD's argument is: you have to be stupid and spend 50 in an obsolete sound system or install a windows7 and pay 100 to Microsoft.

Dirty business! i think Microsoft pays AMD for this.

Comment

Working...
                              X