Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody else using Free software DRI drivers with their ATI cards?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Forgot to mention - using the fglrx drivers and not the open source ones.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Fragadelic View Post
      Michael,

      Do you know what the current best performing ATI card is in Linux?

      How well does a 1600pro stack up?

      I tried searching for articles but couldn't find any. If you have a link to one that I may have missed, that would be great.
      Well, the best performing ATI card using the 8.31.5 display drivers would be the X1900XTX. However, that soon will change (remember the X1950 series currently doesn't work with the fglrx drivers without falsifying the chip ID).

      An article coming out less than 24 hours from now on Phoronix should address some additional performance figures, and you'll be able to see where the X1600PRO performs by the delta between the high-end part and the X1300.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #18
        Excellent!

        I'm so glad I stumbled upon Phoronix. This is to the linux world what Tom's Hardware is to the windows world.

        Keep up the good work!

        I usually stay behind the curve on all hardware so the 1600pro or even the 1650pro which doesn't appear to have official fglrx support either would most likely be what I end up with.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Fragadelic View Post
          I usually stay behind the curve on all hardware so the 1600pro or even the 1650pro which doesn't appear to have official fglrx support either would most likely be what I end up with.
          The X1650PRO should work with the fglrx display drivers. It should work with the current display drivers, otherwise I know for certain that the next display drivers will support the: Radeon X1650 Series (RV535 XT (71C1) 71C1), Radeon X1650 Series (RV530 XT2 71C6), and Radeon X1650 Series (RV535 (71C7) 71C7).
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

          Comment


          • #20
            That sounds good cause I am stuck with agp for now and the best I can get locally is 1650pro.

            I would like to see what the Canadian price for the 1950agp will be but I haven't seen it anywhere.

            Comment


            • #21
              I didn't see the 1650 listed among the list of supported chips on teh ATI website so maybe in the next release.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Fragadelic View Post
                I didn't see the 1650 listed among the list of supported chips on teh ATI website so maybe in the next release.
                The list on their website isn't very complete. The real way to find out the supported cards is by having them listed in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

                Originally posted by Fragadelic View Post
                Excellent!

                I'm so glad I stumbled upon Phoronix. This is to the linux world what Tom's Hardware is to the windows world.

                Keep up the good work!

                I usually stay behind the curve on all hardware so the 1600pro or even the 1650pro which doesn't appear to have official fglrx support either would most likely be what I end up with.
                http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=8127 -- It demonstrates the performance of the X1950PRO 256MB as well as comparing it to the X1300PRO 256MB, X1800XL, and X1800XT.
                Michael Larabel
                http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                Comment


                • #23
                  Good review.

                  Is there any way of putting all your results in a table of sorts? That way we could compare all the cards you have reviewed in one place. I think a nice little spreadsheet with card name and the various frame rates would be awesome. A kind of one-stop shop for comparing the cards performance under linux. Just an idea.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Moved GPU discussion regarding article to: http://phoronix.net/forums/showthread.php?t=476

                    So this thread won't go off-topic.
                    Michael Larabel
                    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Michael,

                      Was it you that posted the X800GTO score on Free3d?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Fragadelic View Post
                        Michael,

                        Was it you that posted the X800GTO score on Free3d?
                        Nope, it wasn't me.
                        Michael Larabel
                        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Somebody did and it is top dog now - lol. Over 5400 FPS.

                          I finally got my 6600gt working in my system so the 9200 is back on the shelf for now. Still POSTs slow but working great otherwise.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            What's this Free3D-Site being talked about, and where can I find it? Google doesn't come up with anything profound...

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              http://free3d.org/
                              Michael Larabel
                              http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X