Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evergreen HDMI audio success, need testers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Thanks for your work, Zajec!

    Unfortunately, very same as FunkyRider, I was once purchasing card for open driver, and had to pick 4770, cause Evergreens were not supported at all back then.
    That way, I would be using 5770 already, but thanks to ATI/AMD it was not to happen. Fglrx is not an option, maybe its improved, but its still unlikely on par to green stuff. Even if it matches, green stuff has wider selection of pieces covered. Nothing new here.

    If SIMD-based HD8xxx will be released and supported by opensource, thanks to documentation and cooperation from AMD, I may purchase one in the future. 7xxx is not an option due to VLIW driver difficulty as far as I understand; purchasing 79xx for sake of very slow driver - is same error I did with 4770, so Im looking to 8xxx. AMD has all time of the world

    Comment


    • #22
      Update on needed dumps?

      Is there a list available indicating which hardware has sufficient dumps provided vs hardware that still needs attention? I've got a 5670 but I saw a comment somewhere suggesting audio supposedly already works with that model (I haven't tested it).

      Edit: I also have a A4-3400 Llano but that's my file server and don't want to take it offline for testing unless it would actually be of value.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
        Is there a list available indicating which hardware has sufficient dumps provided vs hardware that still needs attention? I've got a 5670 but I saw a comment somewhere suggesting audio supposedly already works with that model (I haven't tested it).
        It's not that simple, sometimes the same card can be used in different configurations which makes dumps different. And I have to figure out how to program hardware correctly in every configuration.

        I've received dumps for about 5-10 cards and hopefully figured everything out correctly.

        The patches in (hopefully) final form was already posted, you can read more about this on:
        http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTAyNDY
        http://zajec.net/blog/view/2011-evergreen-hdmi-audio

        Comment


        • #24
          I have a XFX Radeon HD 6770 1GB, which I understand is Evergreen (Its a Juniper XT), so I'm wondering why Audio is not working.

          he's the lspci spam

          01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Juniper XT [AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series]
          01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series]

          As you can see the audio portion is 5700, but when I enable radeon.audio=1 in grub, and try it on my HDMI TV
          (24" Bush LED LCD)

          Its silent and plays like 3x normal speed (As seen from the position indicator in music players)

          I'm running Kernel 3.3.8, on the wiki It says 3.5.x for 6xxx Series? Does that count for rebadged cards?

          Lemonzest

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by Lemonzest View Post
            I'm running Kernel 3.3.8, on the wiki It says 3.5.x for 6xxx Series? Does that count for rebadged cards?
            Lemonzest
            Yep, you need 3.5.x for reliably working HDMI audio on 5xxx or 6xxx series cards. I had a 5700 which also showed the sympthoms you describe. Starting with 3.5.x I never had that issues again. Also HDMI-audion on my new 6850 is working like a charm with 3.5.x kernel.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by Lemonzest View Post
              I have a XFX Radeon HD 6770 1GB, which I understand is Evergreen (Its a Juniper XT), so I'm wondering why Audio is not working.

              he's the lspci spam

              01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Juniper XT [AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series]
              01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series]

              As you can see the audio portion is 5700, but when I enable radeon.audio=1 in grub, and try it on my HDMI TV
              (24" Bush LED LCD)

              Its silent and plays like 3x normal speed (As seen from the position indicator in music players)

              I'm running Kernel 3.3.8, on the wiki It says 3.5.x for 6xxx Series? Does that count for rebadged cards?

              Lemonzest
              For what it's worth, I'm experiencing the same or similar bug with F17's 3.5.3 kernel and a Radeon HD 5570. Occasionally, I do get the first word of the ALSA test sounds to play (i.e. "Front" in Front_Right.wav), but the sound cuts out abruptly. Maybe it's a buffer management issue.

              I'll probably file a bug report when I'm feeling less lazy.

              Comment

              Working...
              X