Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the trick to get gpu-acceleration on vidoe working with amd gpus?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have faith that we'll eventually see the gallium3D vdpau state tracker extended to HD, and one day there will be a nice code drop courtesy of AMD's devs. The bad news is that the bulk of development takes place behind closed doors and is slowed because of the legal review process. The good news is that AMD hired more devs to work on this stuff and good things come to those who have patience.

Comment

Of course, the real question is why can Intel provide video acceleration in their open-source drivers and AMD cannot? How did they solve their IP problems? Why can't AMD do the same?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        Of course, the real question is why can Intel provide video acceleration in their open-source drivers and AMD cannot? How did they solve their IP problems? Why can't AMD do the same?
        That's easy. Obviously H.264 decoding engine does not have to be so
        tightly integrated to DRM hardware. But once you mix them poorly,
        it'll take more than a silicon revision to fix that. SB got things right
        and their decoding engine is decoupled from DRM so it can be of use.

It's either that, or AMD is using some of the patents in their silicon
        that actually do not belong to them and don't want any litigation
        exposure.

And that's why my next CPU will be Intel if something doesn't change.
        HD3000 is enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          Intel does not care when open-source code for their hardware is released. But perhaps AMD does not like too much technical data to be visible to everyone by just looking in the code.

Comment

Working...
          X