X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Sound

Hi,
    My first time on this forum.
    I am having a similar problem - although I have an Intel i5 processor and HD 5700 series card. Everything was working fine in Kubuntu 11.04 but after upgrade to 11.10 no sound at all. Adding radeon.audio=1 to grub has made no difference.
    Any suggestions as to where else I should look?

Thanks

Comment

Same problem , i have amd 785g and amd 5450 no sound with kuibuntu 11.10.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
        It's a module option, not a grub option. I'm not too familiar with grub2, but I think you would add it to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT. e.g.,

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.audio=1"
        now i do have killed the borg catalyst

i also upgrade to 3.1 linux kernel and i also upgrade to oibaf radeon driver PPA

but

don't work? no sound...
        Last edited by Qaridarium; 10-28-2011, 08:36 AM.

Comment

After an edit to /etc/default/grub, you have to run sudo update-grub2 (or sudo update-grub).

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertP View Post
            After an edit to /etc/default/grub, you have to run sudo update-grub2 (or sudo update-grub).
            hey thank you... now i do have sound

Comment

after sudo update-grub2
              workssssssssssssss

thanks

Comment

why does the same functionality works with the catalyst ?

in my point of view this can't be the source if the catalyst do not have the same black screen ...

maybe they build an magic auto-detect ?

Comment

i dont use catalyst, ati free. I have 785g (radeon hd 4200) and hdmi work good with this grub patch.

Comment

Originally posted by ooHe0Eejem1 View Post
                    why does the same functionality works with the catalyst ?

in my point of view this can't be the source if the catalyst do not have the same black screen ...

maybe they build an magic auto-detect ?
                    its not a magic autodetect its a DRM UVD shit some displays force you to use this shit.

Comment

No HDMI sound on ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Hello,

I'm on Arch Linux 64bit and use the open source radeon driver.

Unfortunately I switched to the latest kernel *and* from proprietary catalyst driver to open source radeon driver, so I can't say whether it worked before the new kernel with the open source driver.

lspci recognises the audio as
                      Code:
                      01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series]
                      and I enabled radeon.audio=1 in menu.lst
                      Code:
                      kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/f16ef16a-2e5c-4725-97e0-9ae1f947c86f ro radeon.modeset=1 radeon.agpmode=-1 radeon.audio=1
                      but I can't play back audio. When I try, the audio software plays back at incredible speed and no sound is there. mplayer, vlc, audacity, paplay, aplay, speaker-test all show the same behavior.
                      pavucontrol however indicates a level change in the audio volume.

My card is an Evergreen model and http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature indicates that HDMI audio is not supported for them. Although shouldn't lspci not be able to see it then?

Comment

No, lspci devices always appear regardless of the driver used. The HDMI audio is just detected as a seperate chip, which also needs a driver to be loaded. It seems like Juniper HDMI Audio is not yet supported by snd-hda-intel.

Comment

I'm currently experiencing the exact same as `qubodup`. I did add `radeon.audio=1` and ran update-grub, but it still doesn't work. Furthermore, audio plays at incredible speed (like qubodup reported).

Is there a know fix for this behaviour?

Comment

Working...
                          X