No announcement yet.

ATI Mobility Radeon HD4670 Overheating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you try the Catalyst driver on a supported distro first, maybe start with Ubuntu 12.04 ?

EDIT - I'm guessing you're talking about the Catalyst legacy driver because that's what you quoted, but if I guessed wrong please reply back. I read your post a few times and wasn't sure if you were talking about latest Catalyst, legacy Catalyst or open source drivers.
    Last edited by bridgman; 07-31-2012, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Can you try the Catalyst driver on a supported distro first, maybe start with Ubuntu 12.04 ?

EDIT - I'm guessing you're talking about the Catalyst legacy driver because that's what you quoted, but if I guessed wrong please reply back. I read your post a few times and wasn't sure if you were talking about latest Catalyst, legacy Catalyst or open source drivers.
      Yes, I talking about the Catalyst Legacy that epic fail, with no indication of the cause.

And about the lack of PM support of open source drivers.

Finally, I apologize for the words a little hot, but by some days I struggle to make this laptop to work again (with Catalyst). And I failing...
      Last edited by LuckyCyborg; 07-31-2012, 07:36 PM.

Comment

but if they're packaging NVidia drivers (similar legacy model) then they'll already have had to work through that (unless they just package the latest).
        They just package the latest.

And they don't package Catalyst at all. It's up to community repos to provide packages, and also provide packages of older versions of X when Catalyst lags behind in support. But these repos do already contain 12.6-legacy packages.
        Last edited by Gusar; 07-31-2012, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Hello, as i know you somehow related to AMD, i have some suggestion : how about make control mem/gpu clock via kernel args(something like radeon_low_profile=n / radeon_mid_profile=n) ? As i can see a lot of people have invalid profiles info and even this temp solution will work for them. Of course with some foolproof.
          I know i should send suggestions to mailing lists, but i dont know in which one

Comment

Originally posted by sstp View Post
            Hello, as i know you somehow related to AMD, i have some suggestion : how about make control mem/gpu clock via kernel args(something like radeon_low_profile=n / radeon_mid_profile=n) ? As i can see a lot of people have invalid profiles info and even this temp solution will work for them. Of course with some foolproof.
            I know i should send suggestions to mailing lists, but i dont know in which one
            dri-devel handles the kernel-side.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyCyborg View Post
              What a glorious fail on a HD4200 frakking with a lovely black screen, on kernel 3.4.x and xorg 1.12.3...

I even dropped the idea of ​​ever use the discrete video card (and I payed for that HD5650), but the reduced battery autonomy from 3:00 to 1:00 (using MID, LOW freezes the screen), make me to huge love the open-source ATI drivers.
              Umm...you do realize you can use the built-in vgaswitcheroo to switch between integrated and discrete cards for most AMD GPUs, right? It should work finely; I have a similar working setup on my HP dv7 with Fedora 17...

Comment

Anything new about HD4670 power management?

Comment

Working...
                X