AMD Radeon HD "Cayman" Finally Moves On With Acceleration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed is OK, fan kills my ears

Built in and up and running, it actual needs the BARTS ucode as 6970M chip.
    I guess you can only control the GPU speed, not the memory clock or the fans speed (I used Waermeleitpaste and the other cooling block, that came with the card)?

This is on "low" profile and I had no hanging or anything in videos, browser or something:
    Code:
    # cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/radeon_pm_info 
    default engine clock: 680000 kHz
    current engine clock: 299980 kHz
    default memory clock: 900000 kHz
    current memory clock: 900000 kHz
    voltage: 950 mV
    Whatever power options I change, the fan doesn't go down...
    Code:
    radeon-pci-0100
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    temp1:        +64.5C
    The 60 degree celsius are ok, I had the same with the Catalyst (but is was able to set the fan speed to 30%, which could be fake because it was as noisy as with the radeon driver). Overall works good, I can even play OilRush with ~7-10 fps and graphic glitches. Finally, I can kick my deskopts around between the two screen using xrandr (this is a pain with nvidia and ati binary drivers).
    Last edited by disi; 08-14-2011, 07:59 AM.

Comment

The power tables in VBIOS often contain a separate entry for >1 screen where the memory clock is kept high since refreshing multiple large displays requires more memory bandwidth. Might be worth trying with a single screen, rebooting to make sure the driver picks up the appropriate table entry, to see if memory clock goes down on "low" then.

I'm not offering this as a solution, just a way to better understand what is going on.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        The power tables in VBIOS often contain a separate entry for >1 screen where the memory clock is kept high since refreshing multiple large displays requires more memory bandwidth. Might be worth trying with a single screen, rebooting to make sure the driver picks up the appropriate table entry, to see if memory clock goes down on "low" then.

I'm not offering this as a solution, just a way to better understand what is going on.
        You are a genius

Code:
        disi@disi-bigtop ~ $ cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/radeon_pm_info 
        default engine clock: 680000 kHz
        current engine clock: 99990 kHz
        default memory clock: 900000 kHz
        current memory clock: 150000 kHz
        voltage: 900 mV
        Code:
        radeon-pci-0100
        Adapter: PCI adapter
        temp1:        +48.5C
        Using only the laptop screen and it is quiet as a lam

p.s. it would be cool, if one could manually control this...
        //edit: is this going to change at some stage or hard wired into the vbios?
        Last edited by disi; 08-14-2011, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
          You are a genius
          I just remember stuff, I think agd5f told me about it

Originally posted by disi View Post
          //edit: is this going to change at some stage or hard wired into the vbios?
          I doubt the power tables themselves will change but over time I expect you'll see more flexibility in how the tables are interpreted. Right now the main goals are "be stable" and "don't melt the chip" and those are hard enough already.
          Last edited by bridgman; 08-14-2011, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X