Open-Source AMD Fusion Driver Stabilizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    in other words we really need a "tear-free-desktop-buffering-cache architecture" like the catalyst one.. to speed up the stuff.
    How does catalyst implement tear-free desktop without vsyncing?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      I doubt it will be a gaming solution then, but for same games which have been just a tiny bit too slow it could work.
      On Windows, the E-350 can run things like Portal 2 with anti-aliasing enabled. It's nota gaming solution but it's not bad either.

The cpu is faster than atom, so maybe even 720p with software decoding should do. But don't expect high speed...
      720p runs fine on software decoding here. Of course, hardware decoding is much better from a power consumption and multitasking standpoint but 720p works without issue even on flashplayer. (1080p is another matter and does require hardware to work correctly).

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
        How does catalyst implement tear-free desktop without vsyncing?
        AFAIK, it uses vsync with triple buffering to improve performance.

Comment

Two weeks ago while I was back in Europe, I then received a response to one of my bug reports from March regarding an E-350 TTM crash. In this bug report response, AMD's Alex Deucher cites a patch that was recently merged into Linus Torvald's kernel tree from one of the DRM bug-fix pulls late into the Linux 2.6.39 kernel cycle. The patch in question is drm/radeon/kms: fix gart setup on fusion parts (v2) with a description of "Out of the entire GART/VM subsystem, the hw designers changed the location of 3 regs. v2: airlied: add parameter for userspace to work from."
          This patch is also in the 2.6.38.7 kernel, so it will probably come to Ubuntu 11.04 in the near to medium future.

Comment

Waking up an old thread!

For guys out there running E350's I have a couple of questions for you.
            1. At this time how has performance stabilized with Linux? Or in other words are birthing pains over in general running Ubuntu or Fedora.
            2. How about the GPU specifically? I know it was a problem initially but have the drivers settled down? Have they gotten faster?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
              1. At this time how has performance stabilized with Linux? Or in other words are birthing pains over in general running Ubuntu or Fedora.
              2. How about the GPU specifically? I know it was a problem initially but have the drivers settled down? Have they gotten faster?

Thanks
              The open-source driver offers pretty good 2d on Gnome Shell (Unity is quite a bit slower). Haven't tested KWin for some time, but it was generally ok back in July (somewhere between Gnome Shell and Unity in performance). Suspend/resume works fine, 3d works (GL2.1 but I'm not gaming on this system). No video acceleration out of the box. No power management.

Fglrx 11.10 still doesn't work with Gnome Shell (visible corruption). It works with Unity and is quite fast if you disable vsync in compiz (tearfree in amdcccle is enough). Performance in KDE is ok (not good, just ok). 3d works (GL4.1) but suspend/resume doesn't. No video acceleration out of the box. Good power management.

You can watch 720p video fine in VLC. Flash, however, is too slow - neither 10.3 nor 11.0 can play fullscreen video smoothly, *regardless* of the resolution, and everything above 360p stutters.

One surprising thing about this APU is how well it runs virtual machines.

All things considered, Windows is around an order of magnitude smoother on this APU if you can live with its other shortcomings: faster 2d, faster 3d, smooth 1080p (both offline and flash), lower power consumption (expect around 30-40% more battery life), correct suspend/resume. The experience is much better overall.

I don't think I can recommend E-series APUs for Linux. Unlike Windows, Linux performance is much more dependent on CPU power (so Atoms are out of the question, too), so a i3 or A6 will offer a much better experience.

My 2cc.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

Thanks
                Mine still runs the stack originally set up on it, ie linux 3.0, git -ati, git mesa (with mesa periodically updated of these). It worked OK then and still works ok.

Everything works that I try to do on it, be it compiling, VMs or 3d. It still has the DPMS flicker bug as far as I can tell (the bug is still open; I haven't tested newer kernels), but it's stable. It was also surprisingly fast, I expected worse from that cpu.

Comment

Mine Thinkpad x120e, with E-350 also runs good. I have to disable kwin effects to run fluidly on external 1920x1200 monitor, though. The biggest issue with this laptop is actually the BIOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                    Mine Thinkpad x120e, with E-350 also runs good. I have to disable kwin effects to run fluidly on external 1920x1200 monitor, though. The biggest issue with this laptop is actually the BIOS.
                    What about about battery life, how many hours you get, and how much is it in Windows?

Comment

Thanks guys!

It appears as if this is still a work in progress for LInux. That isn't a bad thing as it appears to be far enough along for one use I had in mind. That being a platform for EMC.

Comment

Working...
                      X