Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Open-Source ATI R500 Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Open-Source ATI R500 Driver

    Phoronix: The Open-Source ATI R500 Driver

    Last week the first open-source ATI R500 (Radeon X1000 series) driver had entered the world. This new driver (named the xf86-video-avivo) is very early into development, but a small set of developers have been working on reverse engineering this GPU class for the past couple of months. This driver does not yet contain any 3D functionality or support for features that most end-users expect. At this point, the driver just contains very basic initialization and set video mode support for a portion of the Radeon X1000 family. Even with this very basic R500 driver, we couldn't help but to explore the Avivo driver for the past few days.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=10247

  • #2
    Very interesting. Might try it with my X1900XT 512 soon... is it already supported in git?

    I have 6 weeks school holidays starting tomorrow so I could test it for fun.

    Comment


    • #3
      Out of interest, were you able to test with an X1400?

      I added the PCI id for my Lenovo T60 (id is 7145 - M54 Mobility X1400). I get normal looking output on the left side of the screen, but tearing on the right side..

      Thanks,
      Jon.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        Very interesting. Might try it with my X1900XT 512 soon... is it already supported in git?

        I have 6 weeks school holidays starting tomorrow so I could test it for fun.
        Not supported in git... You'll need to add the IDs manually (see the article).
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jone View Post
          Out of interest, were you able to test with an X1400?

          I added the PCI id for my Lenovo T60 (id is 7145 - M54 Mobility X1400). I get normal looking output on the left side of the screen, but tearing on the right side..

          Thanks,
          Jon.
          Had no problems with it using yesterday's git. When did you checkout from git?
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Just about 15 mins ago.

            Am assuming I didn't do anything dim when adding the id, it is an RV515 right? Am running with the 1400x1050 panel, so I guess I could try some different resolutions etc..

            Thanks.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jone View Post
              Just about 15 mins ago.

              Am assuming I didn't do anything dim when adding the id, it is an RV515 right? Am running with the 1400x1050 panel, so I guess I could try some different resolutions etc..

              Thanks.
              Yes, RV515. It works for me with 1400 x 1050. There was a git commit a few days ago that corrected it for odd resolutions (those that when divided by 64 wasn't an integer) but that should be all fixed.
              Michael Larabel
              http://www.michaellarabel.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                Fedora 7 with X1700 problem with open-source

                Hi all,

                I've tried using the xf86-video-avivo open-source driver for ati but can't seem to get it working. Could someone please push me in the right direction?

                This is my output:-

                [root@localhost xf86-video-avivo]# ./autogen.sh prefix=/usr/
                autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
                autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
                autoreconf: running: aclocal
                autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
                autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Libtool
                autoreconf: running: /usr/local/bin/autoconf
                configure.ac:38: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DISABLE_STATIC
                If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
                See the Autoconf documentation.
                configure.ac:39: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
                configure.ac:53: error: possibly undefined macro: XORG_DRIVER_CHECK_EXT
                configure.ac:78: error: possibly undefined macro: XORG_MANPAGE_SECTIONS
                configure.ac:80: error: possibly undefined macro: XORG_RELEASE_VERSION
                autoreconf: /usr/local/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1
                [root@localhost xf86-video-avivo]# pwd
                /usr/xf86-video-avivo

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by domzanator View Post
                  Hi all,

                  I've tried using the xf86-video-avivo open-source driver for ati but can't seem to get it working. Could someone please push me in the right direction?

                  This is my output:-

                  [root@localhost xf86-video-avivo]# ./autogen.sh prefix=/usr/
                  autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
                  autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
                  autoreconf: running: aclocal
                  autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
                  autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Libtool
                  autoreconf: running: /usr/local/bin/autoconf
                  configure.ac:38: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DISABLE_STATIC
                  If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
                  See the Autoconf documentation.
                  configure.ac:39: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
                  configure.ac:53: error: possibly undefined macro: XORG_DRIVER_CHECK_EXT
                  configure.ac:78: error: possibly undefined macro: XORG_MANPAGE_SECTIONS
                  configure.ac:80: error: possibly undefined macro: XORG_RELEASE_VERSION
                  autoreconf: /usr/local/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1
                  [root@localhost xf86-video-avivo]# pwd
                  /usr/xf86-video-avivo

                  Do you have xorg-x11-server-sdk installed?
                  Michael Larabel
                  http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Michael, can you please show me a link where we can see changes between the git commits in text form? I know projects where it says for example "fixed a bug where it could crash blabla" and then there's the code of the changes (in which I'm not interested in). Does the avivo driver project has something like that? I really am interested in the work they do from now on.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X