The Open-Source ATI R500 Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys,
    while i'm waiting for ATI to release something that works with FC7.... i tried the following instructions about avivo from:
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=753&num=1

as all installation goes smooth no errors.... when i do startx... it complain that module avivo is not found.

have i missed anything?

thanks

Comment

There was some comment in the past that this driver does not work with the apple mactel macbook pro. Is this still the case?

Comment

Originally posted by khakhovich View Post
        Hey guys,
        while i'm waiting for ATI to release something that works with FC7.... i tried the following instructions about avivo from:
        http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=753&num=1

as all installation goes smooth no errors.... when i do startx... it complain that module avivo is not found.

have i missed anything?

thanks
        Hey mate,
        I've got good news for ya the new ATI drivers work on FC7; i got them working ealier today.

Here's something i posted earlier today

I've just got it up and running on Fedora 7 after afew alterations:-

Had to downgrade my x server-

su - (if your not already root)
        wget http://ftp.cica.es/fedora/linux/core...6.fc7.i386.rpm
        rpm -U --oldpackage xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.2.0-6.fc7.i386.rpm

Ran the (8.38.6) ati.run file; installed custom with kernel modules:-

Then there was a dependency that i was missing; which i grabbed with yum -
        yum install compat-libstdc++-33

Once that is all done just add fglrx into you xorg file and away you go.

Good luck mate,
        Dom
        Last edited by domzanator; 06-26-2007, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crumpet View Post
          There was some comment in the past that this driver does not work with the apple mactel macbook pro. Is this still the case?
          I have yet to see any commits in git for the Avivo driver showing that the Mac Intel ATI GPUs are yet to be supported. Hopefully soon though.
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            I have yet to see any commits in git for the Avivo driver showing that the Mac Intel ATI GPUs are yet to be supported. Hopefully soon though.
            In fact i wasn't clear enough the macbook pro 15 will work (i got one) but th 17 won't (PLL are bad), when i was saying that mbp 15 was not working it's the external VGA output which is not working thanks to apple which wired the VGA 2 with DVI 1 (i believe they are the only one to do that) so to detect a monitor i have to probe as if it was VGA 1. I want to find an elegant solution to this but i fear i will need to add a workaround for mbp.

Comment

Ahh Too bad . I have a 17" mbp.... if I can do anything to help in your tests just let me know as I long to have a working open source driver- I did try to install it but all it did was to flash the screen.

UPDATE: I could see that you have made various updates to the git.. so I reinstalled and today( June 28) it works on the 17" mbp! Now I can get the correct screen resolution of 1680x1050 ... something that was not possible with the vesa driver. Many thanks for all the great work you are doing - I wish I could help but I suspect that I am not competent enough.
              Last edited by crumpet; 06-28-2007, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Anyone managed to install avivo drivers on ubuntu feisy?

Comment

I tried installing it on Debian yesterday, but I had problems with the ./autogen.sh part. I will try it on Fedora 7 today.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                    I tried installing it on Debian yesterday, but I had problems with the ./autogen.sh part. I will try it on Fedora 7 today.
                    Hi all,
                    The avivo driver works on fedora 7; i guessing it would work on ubuntu as well. But i wouldn't move to avivo drivers as of it; still get alot of tiering. I would stick to ATI drivers for now.

Peace,
                    Dom

Comment

fedora7/t60

hi there, ive nearly got the avivo driver working. it compiles fine etc and when i change xorg.conf it seems to be close to working. The screen is distorted - black line in centre of screen and blue gradients on either side.

when i move the mouse i can see white traces. I think the problem is my laptop (lenovo t60 x1300/r500) has a 1024x768 screen (i think others have got it working on higher res screens).

Any ideas. ATI/fglrx and vesa work fine.

Dan

forgot to mention - its fedora8/ rawhide
                      Last edited by danielpugh; 08-07-2007, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X