Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Major Open-Source ATI Improvements Over Two Years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Major Open-Source ATI Improvements Over Two Years

    Phoronix: The Major Open-Source ATI Improvements Over Two Years

    The open-source ATI/AMD Radeon Linux driver stack has made a lot of improvements in recent times with their Gallium3D drivers becoming mature across all generations and support for new features (such as DRI2 page-flipping) landing in the mainline code and beginning to make its way to users. The time required to bring up support for new generations has also been reduced greatly and with the Radeon HD 8000 series there should be a turning point for their open-source strategy. In this article, we are providing an updated look at the course of the open-source driver's performance for the past two years.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=15893

  • #2
    This would be so much better if there were screenshots from each benchmark.

    Because now we don't see whether these "regressions" really were regressions or if they just rendered more details etc.

    Comment


    • #3
      It also would be nice to see whether or not some commercial games like UT2004, QuakeWars or Heroes of Newerth are working and if yes, with what quality of image.

      We have never any feedback on the few commercial title that exists on Linux. I'm waiting for those title to work with opensource drivers to swap from catalyst to open-source.

      Could it be possible to have such review?

      Comment


      • #4
        Agreed

        Agreed with ChrisXY

        Comment


        • #5
          comparison to windows?

          Hi,

          Is the Catalyst driver results in Linux a good comparison to the performance in Windows?
          That is to say, if one would run the same tests on Windows, what would be the results? Similar to Catalyst in Linux?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
            It also would be nice to see whether or not some commercial games like UT2004, QuakeWars or Heroes of Newerth are working and if yes, with what quality of image.

            We have never any feedback on the few commercial title that exists on Linux. I'm waiting for those title to work with opensource drivers to swap from catalyst to open-source.

            Could it be possible to have such review?
            I don't have the games you are referring to, but there has been lots of feedback on the commercial titles, just check http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonProgram

            Personally, I have played the following commercial titles using r600g:

            Doom3 + RoE
            World of Goo
            Aquaria
            Penumbra trilogy
            LugaruHD
            Gish
            QuakeLive

            Stuff like Doom3 is playable, even on low-end hardware, but obviously much slower than with Catalyst.

            Quake4, QuakeWars and Heroes of Newerth are all reported to work. The only commercial "games" currently not working seems to be the Unigine benchmarks, which have just started working on r300g, but not r600g yet.

            Comment


            • #7
              I find it amazing that r300g is consistently above 3/4 of the Catalyst performance now, often even faster. That's all anyone can ask for, and a huge success for the open source community.

              Comment


              • #8
                Mind-blowing. We are just a step from throwing those ugly blobs away.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by misiu_mp View Post
                  Mind-blowing. We are just a step from throwing those ugly blobs away.
                  Exactly. When the performance gets consistently close to catalyst or surpasses it (like on some of these benchmarks) that will be the best option. Until then, anybody needing the best 3D performance needs to stick to the binary driver.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by devius View Post
                    Exactly. When the performance gets consistently close to catalyst or surpasses it (like on some of these benchmarks) that will be the best option. Until then, anybody needing the best 3D performance needs to stick to the binary driver.
                    there are still features in the blobs that are not available in the OS drivers (video decoders, openCL etc) so there is going to be some time before we can get rid of blobs completely.

                    however there are people working on these features and we ll get them at some point

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X