Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source AMD Fusion E-350 Support Takes A Dive

Phoronix: Open-Source AMD Fusion E-350 Support Takes A Dive

If you have been thinking about picking up a motherboard with one of AMD's new Fusion E-350 "Zacate" APUs to use with the open-source Fusion driver, you may want to hold off for a bit or be forewarned that it could be a bumpy ride...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTE5OA

Why would you want to compile the Kernel on the Fusion Board itself? Just use a i7 or Phenom machine to compile the kernel and copy it over to the testsystem.

Comment

VA-API/XvBA

How does VA-API/XvBA preform on the fusion platform?

Comment

And you should probably first investigate further on this in your log:
        [ 5.125212] r600_cp: Failed to load firmware "radeon/PALM_pfp.bin"
        [ 5.125258] [drm:evergreen_startup] *ERROR* Failed to load firmware!

Damn edittime limit!

Comment

A brand new ASIC doesn't work with the open source graphics drivers? Really??? What a surprise.

Now I'd be surprised if it doesn't work as well as Evergreen does today in 2012...

Comment

Originally posted by Lynxeye View Post

Damn edittime limit!
            He needs linux-firmware 1.48

Comment

Originally posted by Lynxeye View Post
              Indeed, you are lacking the out of kernel firmware, check if your distribution has a radeon-ucode package and install it, otherwise download it from http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode/ and unpack it in /lib/firmware/radeon

Comment

I think I remember Ubuntu 10.10 also had a similar problem where they shipped the firmware but installed it into a wrong directory for some cards. Check this, Michael.

Comment

What is it with the love affair with the word 'defenestrated'?

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
                    Indeed, you are lacking the out of kernel firmware, check if your distribution has a radeon-ucode package and install it, otherwise download it from http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode/ and unpack it in /lib/firmware/radeon
                    Whoops, the Ubuntu package is indeed missing it, but the graphics are still broke.

UPDATE: It turns out that the Ubuntu mainline kernels are missing the Fusion firmware. However, when dropping in the upstream PALM and SUMO firmware, the graphics still fail; black screen with the cursor and it's soft locked-up but there is still remote access. The new dmesg.
                    Michael Larabel
                    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

How about downloading and building a kernel.org kernel? I have no problem on my ASRock E350M1 using 2.6.38_rc6
                      The firmware files can be downloaded from here, too: http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode/

Comment

btw. your new dmesg looks like bug 34137. Workaround: Option "EnablePageFlip" "false" in xorg.conf

Comment

http://people.freedesktop.org/~airli...r-fusion.patch

test that please

Comment

Code:
                            From 3999b9e25d285ef1959f9177936471448476aee1 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
                            Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:04:23 +1000
                            Subject: [PATCH] radeon: add pageflip hooks for fusion

Looks like these got lost in the merge time, should fix bug
                            posted on phoronix in an article. (Note this isn't how you report
                            bugs).

Not-reported-usefully-by: Michael Larabel @ phoronix
                            Signed-off-by: Dave Airlie <airlied@redhat.com>
                            ---
                             drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon_asic.c |    3 +++
                             1 files changed, 3 insertions(+), 0 deletions(-)

diff --git a/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon_asic.c b/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon_asic.c
                            index e75d63b..793c5e6 100644
                            --- a/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon_asic.c
                            +++ b/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon_asic.c
                            @@ -834,6 +834,9 @@ static struct radeon_asic sumo_asic = {
                             	.pm_finish = &evergreen_pm_finish,
                             	.pm_init_profile = &rs780_pm_init_profile,
                             	.pm_get_dynpm_state = &r600_pm_get_dynpm_state,
                            +	.pre_page_flip = &evergreen_pre_page_flip,
                            +	.page_flip = &evergreen_page_flip,
                            +	.post_page_flip = &evergreen_post_page_flip,
                             };

static struct radeon_asic btc_asic = {
                            -- 
                            Dave, I can confirm that the patch atop Linus' tree as of this evening (10 March) fixes my E-350 setup. Acceleration appears to be working fine with KMS and Gallium3D. Thanks.

P.S. I am sorry that you may not like some of my unconventional bug reporting techniques etc, but we all share a common goal -- and that is to improve Linux hardware support. We may just have different approaches to doing so, but this method at least gets the job done (I see that bug #34137 was open for one month with no responses at all) and concurrently allows me to finance my time and hardware expenses.
                            Michael Larabel
                            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Seems to me you could do both : write an article **AND** a bug report.

Comment

Working...
                              X