Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Direction Of ATI Radeon Graphics In Ubuntu 11.04

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Enthusiasts just need to document how to do things for other enthusiasts.

    A wiki were to put how to get the best performance and highest FPS. How to get s3tc and other options.

    Document it, put it in a wiki.

    Let people know that what is default is for stability and sanity sake.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      That is a decent argument. It's the default behaviour that people will get without tweaking, but one has to admit that the default Ubuntu behaviour is really stupid (Compiz always on).

      Still, it would be nice to benchmark what the drivers can actually do at this moment, especially if we're talking about trivial changes. The way it is right now, you have to add 60% to every number you publish for open source drivers, and this can't be the point of a benchmark.

      What about a "default" benchmark (no tweaks) and a "best" benchmark (minor one-liner tweaks that everybody uses anyway)?
      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

      That's a good page to start with. The option you are talking about isn't there. Feel free to add it (and make it stick , and we'll re-run the benchmark.

      Comment


      • #18
        why are u discussing optimized configurations vs default... meanwhile the results of this article are very promising!

        Mesa 7.11 - r600g is getting a consistent 1/3 - 1/2 of fglrx performance, while a few months ago Mesa 7.10 - r600g was getting a 1/5 fglrx performance. Nice job!

        Comment


        • #19
          So this means that when I switch back to xorg-ati I should use the R700g instead of R700. Cool, I thought that the Gallium driver was still lagging behind stability-wise.

          I think I'll stay on fglrx for a while since Minecraft has a much better framerate on it.

          Comment


          • #20
            I always wish they could pull in just a little more recent builds of mesa and kernel drm But they are pretty conservative and so the masses have to live with ancient mesa for 6 months.

            I feel bad for the LTS people though; you either run the binary driver or run it on a server... no good open source 3d graphics on LTS, ever.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by mtippett View Post
              https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

              That's a good page to start with. The option you are talking about isn't there. Feel free to add it (and make it stick , and we'll re-run the benchmark.
              Look, I appreciate the work you're doing and all that, but now you're simply pulling my leg.

              How about "man radeon"?

              I mean, there are people who do not use Ubuntu and I don't see why you're pointing to an outdated Ubuntu community site on the internet when you have the full manual installed together with the driver sitting on your drive.

              You do have the point, though, in that the rate of development of open drivers often makes it difficult to follow which xorg options are still valid (and used), which options are new, and what they do. Hopefully things will stabilise as the drivers mature.

              Comment


              • #22
                EDIT: yes, I understand that this is an Ubuntu benchmark, but still, all these community sites simply parrot things from the radeon man page, which is the same for ALL distributions.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                  EDIT: yes, I understand that this is an Ubuntu benchmark, but still, all these community sites simply parrot things from the radeon man page, which is the same for ALL distributions.
                  While it's true that the man radeon contains the information you need, man-pages can be a bit daunting. Just check the man xorg.conf. How many Linux users actually understand what it says + how meticulously is it updated?
                  Some sections even say: "Nobody knows how this works"

                  EDIT: Oh, and I just want to make clear that I haven't actually read the radeon man page. Didn't realize there was one, so I'll check it out later.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
                    I always wish they could pull in just a little more recent builds of mesa and kernel drm But they are pretty conservative and so the masses have to live with ancient mesa for 6 months.

                    I feel bad for the LTS people though; you either run the binary driver or run it on a server... no good open source 3d graphics on LTS, ever.
                    10.04 LTS runs Compiz just fine on my 4670. I don't ask for anymore than that. I feel bad for the non-LTS users serving as defacto beta-testers 75% of the time.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by locovaca View Post
                      10.04 LTS runs Compiz just fine on my 4670. I don't ask for anymore than that. I feel bad for the non-LTS users serving as defacto beta-testers 75% of the time.
                      Tss, don't reveal Mark's development model to the public! Otherwise he won't be able to afford a condo for a few billions anymore.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X