Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATI R600 Gallium3D Driver Does Instanced Drawing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ATI R600 Gallium3D Driver Does Instanced Drawing

    Phoronix: ATI R600 Gallium3D Driver Does Instanced Drawing

    As some non-OpenBenchmarking.org news this weekend, committed to the mainline Mesa Git repository for Mesa 7.11 is support for OpenGL instanced drawing within the ATI R600 Gallium3D driver...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTE0NA

  • #2
    Care to tell us what Instanced Drawing is?

    Comment


    • #3
      A common use case in GL for some applications is to be able to
      draw the same object, or groups of similar objects that share
      vertex data, primitive count and type, multiple times. This
      extension provides a means of accelerating such use cases while
      restricting the number of API calls, and keeping the amount of
      duplicate data to a minimum.
      http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs..._instanced.txt

      Comment


      • #4
        A simple example would be drawing a forest using a single tree model. You'd pass an instance id and an array of positions and draw the same tree multiple times in various locations.

        Comment


        • #5
          Seems like this is one bolt in an entire skyscraper, yeah? A "real" application won't hold up with this bolt alone, but it's a necessary step towards the final goal of proper OpenGL 3.0 support.

          It's good that people are working on this, but this commit alone more than likely does not open up any new application support: apps writing to GL 2.1 won't use instanced drawing anyway, and apps writing to GL 3.0 or 3.1 will probably use other features of GL that Mesa doesn't yet support. So I dare say this isn't really newsworthy, as nice as it is.

          Would much rather see a complete working GLSL 1.20 shader compiler for r600g, so that my existing apps don't crash deep within r600_dri.so when compiling a fragment shader...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
            Would much rather see a complete working GLSL 1.20 shader compiler for r600g, so that my existing apps don't crash deep within r600_dri.so when compiling a fragment shader...
            Make sure you've filed a bug.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
              Seems like this is one bolt in an entire skyscraper, yeah? A "real" application won't hold up with this bolt alone, but it's a necessary step towards the final goal of proper OpenGL 3.0 support.

              It's good that people are working on this, but this commit alone more than likely does not open up any new application support: apps writing to GL 2.1 won't use instanced drawing anyway, and apps writing to GL 3.0 or 3.1 will probably use other features of GL that Mesa doesn't yet support. So I dare say this isn't really newsworthy, as nice as it is.
              If you have to go from A to B, walking on a path, you must do several small steps. You can't do only one big step.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by whitecat View Post
                If you have to go from A to B, walking on a path, you must do several small steps. You can't do only one big step.
                I think allquixotic agrees with you, and I think his/her point was simply that each one of those steps is not worthy of a news article.

                Comment

                Working...
                X