Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R600 Gallium3D Driver Now Supports S3TC Library

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • R600 Gallium3D Driver Now Supports S3TC Library

    Phoronix: R600 Gallium3D Driver Now Supports S3TC Library

    While there is not integrated support for S3 Texture Compression (S3TC) support fully integrated into the Mesa / Gallium3D code-base over patents covering the algorithm, there are Mesa drivers that support hooking into an external S3TC library. This external S3TC support requires setting a special variable in the build process and building the S3TC library (named libtxc_dxtn.so) after obtaining the code from an independent source. This move shifts the legal burden from the Mesa developers and onto the user...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTEwNg

  • #2
    ---great---

    Comment


    • #3
      Michael: "there is not" >> "there is no"

      On topic: Shifting legal burden on user may prevent major distributions in shipping that support. As it was with libdecss

      Comment


      • #4
        Awesome!

        Question though: where do I put R600_ENABLE_S3TC=1 to test this?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
          On topic: Shifting legal burden on user may prevent major distributions in shipping that support. As it was with libdecss
          And if i understand right it is not enough to install the lib. You need to recompile mesa.

          Comment


          • #6
            AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you very much!
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Perry3D View Post
              And if i understand right it is not enough to install the lib. You need to recompile mesa.
              That is easy to do on Gentoo Linux.

              Comment


              • #8
                OK, never mind. It's not an option to put into xorg.conf. It's an env variable. I just tried it and now VMWare can use 3D acceleration to run a guest with compositing enabled:

                http://i53.tinypic.com/29egbhx.jpg

                (Yes, I'm running Gentoo Linux )

                Comment


                • #9
                  And hw video acceleration is demanded for how long? Like years? Yet we still have nothing and even Christian Konig seems to be working on something else.

                  Sorry, but it bothers me a lot.

                  Having a new feature is always appreciated, Dave is the man!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Can you do a little test for me?
                    What happens if you remove the lib after recompiling mesa with the lib? Are you getting segmentation faults or undefined references? Or does just the support for texture compression disappear?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                      Michael: "there is not" >> "there is no"

                      On topic: Shifting legal burden on user may prevent major distributions in shipping that support. As it was with libdecss
                      and there will be tutorials/packages/whatever on how to enable it the next day

                      someone buy Dave a beer (or more)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                        someone buy Dave a beer (or more)
                        I'd rather buy him some amphetamines and increase his productivity :P

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Perry3D View Post
                          Can you do a little test for me?
                          What happens if you remove the lib after recompiling mesa with the lib? Are you getting segmentation faults or undefined references? Or does just the support for texture compression disappear?
                          I just tried. Uninstalled it and restarted xdm. Everything keeps working correctly and only S3TC support won't work anymore.

                          So I guess Mesa/Gallium just tries to load the lib at runtime. That's good; that means anyone can install it and it will "just work".

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Yay.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                              I just tried. Uninstalled it and restarted xdm. Everything keeps working correctly and only S3TC support won't work anymore.

                              So I guess Mesa/Gallium just tries to load the lib at runtime. That's good; that means anyone can install it and it will "just work".
                              Yes, it is dynamically opened at runtime.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X