Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R600 Gallium3D Driver Now Supports S3TC Library

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #51
    S3TC work for EVE-Online!

    It's a lot slower than "no texture mode" but I may have forgotten to enable something (it'S been a long time I used theses drivers).

    Comment


    • #52
      Isn't the purpose of having OpenGL to be able to steer hardware functions of graphic cards?

      Djeez, this should be something that is in the circuits and gets used by software.
      Not software itself.

      And what about the patents, this is creating a very dangerous situation.
      The patents seem to last until 2017, this is still an insanely huge time.

      Comment


      • #53
        Yeah, with latest master Bioshock does indeed run now. There are still some rendering issues (mainly banding/posterization) but it's a huge improvement over the pitch black darkness without S3TC.

        Comment


        • #54
          Originally posted by plonoma View Post
          Isn't the purpose of having OpenGL to be able to steer hardware functions of graphic cards?

          Djeez, this should be something that is in the circuits and gets used by software.
          Not software itself.

          And what about the patents, this is creating a very dangerous situation.
          The patents seem to last until 2017, this is still an insanely huge time.
          It is not 100% software, but to use the hardware bits, you need the software as well. It's the same problem you can find to use video engines.

          Comment


          • #55
            Starcraft 2 on my shiny new 5870 is running now, ok it's running slideshow style, but it's running.

            A few artifacts still need hammering out as well, but all in all, Yay!

            Comment


            • #56
              Originally posted by plonoma View Post

              And what about the patents, this is creating a very dangerous situation.
              The patents seem to last until 2017, this is still an insanely huge time.
              USA patents you mean.

              Comment


              • #57
                Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                And what about the patents, this is creating a very dangerous situation.
                The patents seem to last until 2017, this is still an insanely huge time.
                oh and BTW, I do not think that VIA would be stupid enough to declare war on the FOSS community that way... they are not that stupid... well I hope for them at least

                Comment


                • #58
                  Enabling S3TC on Ubuntu 11.04 Natty

                  So what's needed to enable S3TC for r600g on Ubuntu 11.04 Natty? Would this work?

                  - Standard Natty kernel (2.6.38)
                  - Standard Natty xserver-xorg-video-ati (6.14)

                  and then manually pull in:

                  - Mesa 7.11 snapshot (from xorg-edgers PPA)
                  - libtxc_dxtn (from http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~mareko/libtxc_dxtn/)
                  - export R600_ENABLE_S3TC=1

                  Anything else?

                  Comment


                  • #59
                    Originally posted by nevado View Post
                    So what's needed to enable S3TC for r600g on Ubuntu 11.04 Natty? Would this work?

                    - Standard Natty kernel (2.6.38) no, you will need 2.6.39
                    - Standard Natty xserver-xorg-video-ati (6.14) 6.14.0 or more probably 6.14.1

                    and then manually pull in:

                    - Mesa 7.11 snapshot (from xorg-edgers PPA) yes
                    - libtxc_dxtn (from http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~mareko/libtxc_dxtn/) yes
                    - export R600_ENABLE_S3TC=1 AFAIK, I think with 2.6.39 it's not useful

                    Anything else?
                    answers in bold.

                    Comment


                    • #60
                      Originally posted by Gizmot View Post
                      oh and BTW, I do not think that VIA would be stupid enough to declare war on the FOSS community that way... they are not that stupid... well I hope for them at least
                      Maybe that's a solution to this. a publicised campaign to boycott VIA products.

                      - for the majority of us boycotting directly branded via stuff is trivial: "I have a bad experience with via mainboards, so please ensure that my new pcs/hosts don't use a via mainboard". In small/medium businesses it's trivial to do that type of thing, and I assume PC manufacturers/large webhosts have little or no loyalty/reason to stick with via over their competitors?

                      I would be surprised if it did not force via to do 'something' - even if it was just explain how the hell they've got into this mess.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X