Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD's opensource lies exposed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    Originally posted by Qaridarium
    this is only right if you have an very low distance view in the future. the speed doubles every 2 years and yes also on the lowend systems.
    yes they double and so the resolution and codec complexity of the videos!
    and hey the UVD unit can not handle VP8/webM means your statement is pointless for HTML5+webM
    hey, who said new chips won't incorporate this support?

    Originally posted by mirv
    but if (read: when) I have an interest in using AMD's APUs in an htpc, then I'd probably want video decode first.
    All the web is moving towards HD content, even the cheapest and smallest linux devices can do it if they have nvidia hardware onboard and if you think video acceleration is only for htpc then discussion is pointless.
    Just tell me the name of your planet and... naah not again :P

    Comment


    • #42
      Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
      yes they double and so the resolution and codec complexity of the videos!


      hey, who said new chips won't incorporate this support?



      All the web is moving towards HD content, even the cheapest and smallest linux devices can do it if they have nvidia hardware onboard and if you think video acceleration is only for htpc then discussion is pointless.
      Just tell me the name of your planet and... naah not again :P
      Where, and really please point this out, did I even remotely mention that video accel was only for htpc's? And please, refrain from the insults, or you might just bite off more than you can chew.

      Comment


      • #43
        Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
        yes they double and so the resolution and codec complexity of the videos!
        i don't think so. on 1900X1200 pixels with steroscoopic view on 60hz peer eye on an long therm of period you will not get any better than that in the mass market.

        be sure. today you only get 1650x1050 and only 24hz peer eye and mostly no stereoscoopic view.

        double the resolution is a no way on the mass market.

        and codec complexity no i don't think so mpeg2 is used today LOL and h264 is years old on an long time of period you will net get any better than h264-stereoscoopic view.

        and i think VP8 is less complex than h264-





        Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
        hey, who said new chips won't incorporate this support?
        yes sure they are but its pointless thats because VP8 is fast on normal cpus.




        Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
        All the web is moving towards HD content, even the cheapest and smallest linux devices can do it if they have nvidia hardware onboard and if you think video acceleration is only for htpc then discussion is pointless.
        Just tell me the name of your planet and... naah not again :P
        right but HD content means low quality 1650x1050 pixels at 24fps with no stereoscoopic view.

        on an long period you will not get any better than 1900x1200 pixels at 60fps with stereoscoopic view.

        means no you don't get 4K resolutions with 100hz and multidimmensionalstereoscoopic views

        means no.. every bullshit cpu in 2 years can handle this shit .

        Comment


        • #44
          I really don't see the purpose of this thread other than flame baiting

          Comment


          • #45
            Originally posted by Qaridarium
            right but HD content means low quality 1650x1050 pixels at 24fps with no stereoscoopic view.
            on an long period you will not get any better than 1900x1200 pixels at 60fps with stereoscoopic view.
            means no you don't get 4K resolutions with 100hz and multidimmensionalstereoscoopic views
            means no.. every bullshit cpu in 2 years can handle this shit .
            What happened to superscalar thinking? Are we still in the times of this chip?



            What if the user not only watches a video but does something like this at the same time?

            http://craftymind.com/factory/html5v...nvasVideo.html

            Destroy the video for several times and see the CPU cycles cry. It gets near the computation limit of my Athlon 64 X2 5600+ which is clearly a high-end class hardware. And this is only a low-res video
            This is why video acceleration is so important. People won't be just watching the video but interacting with it and offloading video decode to the gpu is a good idea.
            Your "low-end system does everything" theory can break easily with emerging technology so be careful with it...

            Comment


            • #46
              Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
              What happened to superscalar thinking? Are we still in the times of this chip?



              What if the user not only watches a video but does something like this at the same time?

              http://craftymind.com/factory/html5v...nvasVideo.html

              Destroy the video for several times and see the CPU cycles cry. It gets near the computation limit of my Athlon 64 X2 5600+ which is clearly a high-end class hardware. And this is only a low-res video
              This is why video acceleration is so important. People won't be just watching the video but interacting with it and offloading video decode to the gpu is a good idea.
              Your "low-end system does everything" theory can break easily with emerging technology so be careful with it...
              This is true for all hardware - I wouldn't expect my old k5 system to be able to run a modern desktop env. Why do you say AMD/ATI are lying? Who do you think are the developers of the free ATI driver?

              Comment


              • #47
                Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
                What if the user not only watches a video but does something like this at the same time?

                http://craftymind.com/factory/html5v...nvasVideo.html

                Destroy the video for several times and see the CPU cycles cry. It gets near the computation limit of my Athlon 64 X2 5600+ which is clearly a high-end class hardware. And this is only a low-res video
                I can play it flawlessly (destroying the video several times) with my 1.4Ghz cpu and without any h264 offloading.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

                Comment


                • #48
                  Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
                  yes they double and so the resolution and codec complexity of the videos!
                  That you're saying that means you're...twelve, maybe? I distinctly remember the 17" monitor I got in 2001 supporting 2560x1920. I kept it at 1600x1200 so I could get the 100Hz refresh rate. Not 1280x1024. Not 1280x720. Not 1920x1200. Do you know how many displays (of any size) have been made in the past five years that can touch that? Not without pretty deep pockets, you don't. Resolutions have gone down, and display technology is almost as bad as printing technology at maintaining a pace greater than "glacial".

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    I can play it flawlessly (destroying the video several times) with my 1.4Ghz cpu and without any h264 offloading.
                    Did you check your cpu usage? What happens if anything beside the browser is open on your desktop? And this is only a low-res 640x360 video...

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      So let me understand the point of this thread.

                      AMD promised open specs, AMD delivered open specs.

                      Therefore, AMD is lying.

                      OK, great thread, enjoy it :P

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X