AMD's opensource lies exposed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Lol, can't read the nvidia panel? Nouveau doesn't even support the GTX-580 yet. Suck it up buttercup.
    You say it so proudly, like it's a good thing.

You can't run your hardware using free software. What a loser

I'm going to play some more. You can write a post about how much I miss Unigine Tropics and how my life is meaningless because my processor uses 10W more power to decode an HD stream.

I'll read it once I'm finished using the fantastic FREE and OPEN drivers, which do not exist.

http://bugs.gentoo.org/336837
    http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2008/0...reedy-problem/
    http://kerneltrap.org/node/7228
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvi...aris,9839.html
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10..._graphics_bug/

The nvidia blob is just as buggy and breaks just as often as any other driver. You know it as well as anyone.

At least we have a choice over here in ATI-land.

Comment

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      You say it so proudly, like it's a good thing.

You can't run your hardware using free software. What a loser

I'm going to play some more. You can write a post about how much I miss Unigine Tropics and how my life is meaningless because my processor uses 10W more power to decode an HD stream.
      I'm a loser? Your the one that can't come with terms of reality and live in a world "tomorrow will be better, I hope". That is what makes your life meaningless and it is of your own accord. You have the time to waste waiting for tomorrow.

I'll read it once I'm finished using the fantastic FREE and OPEN drivers, which do not exist.
      Well good for you. I can do the same on closed drivers on the same day that the product is released and with a full feature set.

Clap, clap, clap. Congratulations you found some bugs. I would post just the kde bugs on the radeon driver for KDE alone but alas there is a post limit size in these forums.

At least we have a choice over here in ATI-land.
      Of course, drinking koolaid is always a choice.

Comment

That is what makes your life meaningless
        Wow. Getting pretty heated in here. I guess the guy who started this thread accomplished his goal.

Comment

• Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          Wow. Getting pretty heated in here. I guess the guy who started this thread accomplished his goal.
          He was the one that said his life was meaningless.

Comment

He was the one that said his life was meaningless.
            No, he said you could write a post saying his life was meaningless, clearly hinting that he didn't believe that was true. And then you went and did it.

Comment

• Whatever, i'm not invested in this fight. That line just caught my eye as being way over the top, i haven't even read this thread since about page 10 so for all i know he crossed the line a few pages ago and i just missed it.

Comment

I'm a loser? Your the one that can't come with terms of reality and live in a world "tomorrow will be better, I hope". That is what makes your life meaningless and it is of your own accord. You have the time to waste waiting for tomorrow.
                No, young padawan.

Hope makes life meaningful, not meaningless.

Accepting crap from above because you have no choice -- that makes your life meaningless

Well good for you. I can do the same on closed drivers on the same day that the product is released and with a full feature set.
                Can you?

Nvidia doesn't even provide drivers for all their hardware. Unlike AMD

So if you want an Nvidia chip, you have to do your homework carefully, make sure you don't purchase a chip which won't let you boot Linux, then you have to replace your Linux kernel, xorg, mesa and alsa with nvidia's secret solution, and then you hope that they will fix the new batch of bugs they introduced very soon.

Because you can't fix them.

Awesome

Comment

• The thing is -- my card does everything I need it to do, and does it using free and open drivers.

You can't even watch a video on your card without replacing half of your system with Windows drivers hacked on top of an unstable ABI, and keep replacing those at regular intervals because Linux was never designed to work that way.

But you have 1432 FPS in workraft, and I get only 60

Comment

• Originally posted by not.sure View Post
                    Time for a car analogy:
                    If you have a car that is built to open specs, and another one that is rented, but not yours, it's pretty clear which one can be better seen during night, and how long ago the meal was cooked. And after all, that's what counts.
                    well its not so conclusive regarding the meal is it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...years-ago.html

you might also consider “He [Sinclair] is the closed circle. He is returning to the beginning”
                    replacing [Sinclair] with [the man with the plan] if you wish OC

but the better classic thought that really count's as regards many things, not just AMD Gfx/UVD usability etc is
                    "irrelevant. He has opened an unexpected door. We do now what must be done now. His purpose has been fulfilled."
                    well not quite yet , not until that UVD review is officially deemed started/complete and there's an actual public outcome for that officially stated review

this thread has now become the general dumping ground for all subjects and very loosly related points of fact right

Comment

• This thread has always been here.

Comment

• Nvidia doesn't even provide drivers for all their hardware. Unlike AMD
                        Unlike AMD's inferior, buggy and feature poor linux support, nvidia's linux drivers work as expected, with good xserver-kernel support updates and good bug fixing, stabilization.

This chip (being released in 2001) is still supported by nvidia's legacy drivers, with proper up-to-date xserver-kernel support.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-d...19-driver.html

Comment

• Your definition of proper means without KDE 4 effects support as then the screen tends to turn black with 96.xx series. But for some simple games a geforce 3 is still faster than a 9800 pro with oss drivers.

Comment

• Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
                            Unlike AMD's inferior, buggy and feature poor linux support, nvidia's linux drivers work as expected, with good xserver-kernel support updates and good bug fixing, stabilization.
                            Xrandr 1.3 is still not supported, 17 months after release.

Good xserver-kernel support indeed. Multi-monitor broken.

This chip (being released in 2001) is still supported by nvidia's legacy drivers, with proper up-to-date xserver-kernel support.
                            Is that Optimus? How well is that supported with good xserver-kernel support?

Why don't you buy one and tell us?

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                              Here's the problem :

BTW I've read 37 pages of thread and haven't found any actual AMD opensource lies yet, did I miss something juicy ?
                              well "opensource lies" is such as derogatory label i suppose , perhaps "PR innovations" are a more acceptable label and we can get the thread name changed LOL....

on a totally separate subject before i forget....FYI

as regards getting some good and valid PR i noticed in the x264dev log's that the assembly devs are looking to add AMD AVX and perhaps improve AMD Encoding performance for the up and coming 2011
                              http://www.compression.ru/video/code...ion_movies.png MSU video codec comparison http://www.compression.ru/video/codec_comparison/

"2011-01-28 05:36:46 < pengvado> but there is a vpcomltb and there is no vpcmpltb
                              2011-01-28 05:36:57 < Dark_Shikari> oh you mean vcmp has gt only
                              2011-01-28 05:36:58 < Dark_Shikari> ic
                              2011-01-28 05:37:24 < Dark_Shikari> vphsubbw might be interesting?
                              2011-01-28 05:38:44 < Dark_Shikari> hmm. VPMACSDD would be useful for high bit depth quant perhaps
                              2011-01-28 05:38:53 < Dark_Shikari> 32 * 32 + 32 -> 32
                              2011-01-28 05:39:25 < Dark_Shikari> and VPMACSSDD (saturating)
                              2011-01-28 05:39:55 < Dark_Shikari> ... they have 16x16 MAC too
                              2011-01-28 05:39:56 < Dark_Shikari> for integer
                              2011-01-28 05:39:58 < Dark_Shikari> this might be useful.
                              "

but with it only a around week away and their having to use the http://developer.amd.com/cpu/simnow/Pages/default.aspx it makes it hard to help and test AMD CPU improvements.

it might be in you're interest bridgman to pop over there #x264dev ASAP and find a way to offer them some remote shell access to your current AVX capable and other new CPU's so they can write the AVX assembly routines etc and test it on the real things... if your so inclined, OC Intel Francois Piednoel was also so inclined and in a position to organise this remote access but apparently that didn't happen , so you have an opportunity to on up him and get a good but of PR and praise in the codec_comparison etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by popper View Post
                                2011-01-28 05:39:55 < Dark_Shikari> ... they have 16x16 MAC too
                                That's a Big MAC, eh.
                                http://bigmac.yolasite.com/resources...lds_bigmac.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X