Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Page-Flipping Is Flipped On In The ATI DDX Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    There's no new tiling support in this merge other than fixes to make tiling and pageflip work together.

    Comment


    • #17
      Is it worth enabling the 1D tiling on r600+ cards, or should we wait until the both methods are complete?

      Comment


      • #18
        1D tiling will boost 3D performance, 2D tiling will boost it more.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          Tiling is not on by default on r6xx+ asics. That's an error in the article. At the moment there is only support for 1D tiled render buffers which has been there for several months. Support for 2D tiling and tiled textures is a WIP. 1D tiles are 8x8 micro tiles, 2D tiles are macro tiles made of the 8x8 micro tiles (tiled tiles).

          Tiling on r3xx-r5xx is on by default and has been for a while now.
          Holy tiling crap Batman! That's a lot of tiles!
          I wonder why Michael never corrects the articles when someone finds a mistake, omission, etc. Even when the error is obvious or when it's someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by devius View Post
            I wonder why Michael never corrects the articles when someone finds a mistake, omission, etc. Even when the error is obvious or when it's someone who actually knows what they're talking about.
            Now that would be a day job

            Comment


            • #21
              So does anyone here have any guess as to whether this will end up in Fedora 15 or Ubuntu 11.04? Since I have r600 class hardware I would like that.

              Comment


              • #22
                Does anyone know how to get a list of ALL turnable Xorg options?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                  Does anyone know how to get a list of ALL turnable Xorg options?
                  the radeon man page lists all the radeon specific ones:
                  http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...man/radeon.man

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    the radeon man page lists all the radeon specific ones:
                    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...man/radeon.man
                    Thank you!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Anybody know if the newest stack will yield high enough performance for a reasonable experience playing back 1080p in something like xbmc with a hardware decoder like crystalhd? Even with a hardware decoder, because xbmc uses GL rendering, that has been a bottleneck driving CPU usage way up and FPS way down except if you use the blob driver.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        OK, this is odd.

                        I have upgraded to vanilla 2.6.38, and to the xf86-video-ati from git, and the performance is exactly the same as with the old driver and 2.6.37.

                        I have enabled "EnablePageFlip" (which is unnecessary since it defaults to on) and disabled "SwapBuffersWait".

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                          OK, this is odd.

                          I have upgraded to vanilla 2.6.38, and to the xf86-video-ati from git, and the performance is exactly the same as with the old driver and 2.6.37.

                          I have enabled "EnablePageFlip" (which is unnecessary since it defaults to on) and disabled "SwapBuffersWait".
                          Pageflipping won't go any faster than the refresh rate.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            That's good to know. So I should try more demanding stuff?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Openarena anholt demo, with vsync and all bells and whistles at 1920x1080:

                              Without pageflipping: 41.8
                              With pageflipping: 45.3

                              How did other people get double the framerate?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                While this thread is bumped, I was wondering if anyone using swapbufferswait (off) is showing tearing or other decrease in visual quality. Thanks.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X