Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S-video port not recognized with ATI Radeon 8500

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • S-video port not recognized with ATI Radeon 8500

    I just did a clean install of Mythbuntu Maverick RC on a computer with an ATI Radeon 8500 video card with a VGA, DVI and S-video port. According to all the sources I can find, TV-out should be supported on that card (R200). However, no matter what I do, I can't get the drivers to detect/show the S-video port.

    The card (identified by lspci) is:
    Code:
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R200 QL [Radeon 8500 LE]
    When I type "xrandr", the output does not show "S-video".

    Code:
    $ xrandr
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 4096 x 4096
    VGA-0 connected 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 376mm x 301mm
       1280x1024      60.0*+   75.0  
       1152x864       75.0  
       1024x768       75.1     70.1     60.0  
       832x624        74.6  
       800x600        72.2     75.0     60.3     56.2  
       640x480        72.8     75.0     66.7     60.0  
       720x400        70.1  
    DVI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    $
    Initially my xorg.conf was nonexistent, but I've attempted modifying it to be the following:

    Code:
    Section "Screen"
            Identifier      "Default Screen"
            DefaultDepth    24
    EndSection
    
    Section "Device"
            Identifier      "Default Device"
            Driver  "radeon"
            Option  "ATOMTvOut" "true
            Option  "TVDACLoadDetect" "true"
            Option  "TVStandard" "ntsc"
    #       Option  "monitor-S-video" "TV-monitor"
            Option  "ForceTVOut" "true"
    EndSection
    However, that had no effect in the output of xrandr. The Xorg.0.conf shows:

    Code:
    [  1334.935] (WW) RADEON(0): Option "ATOMTvOut" is not used
    [  1334.935] (WW) RADEON(0): Option "TVDACLoadDetect" is not used
    [  1334.935] (WW) RADEON(0): Option "ForceTVOut" is not used
    I can't think what to try next (short of finding another video card), and I have been unable to find any references to this problem for older (R200) cards, rather than newer cards. Does anybody have any suggestions?

    - Ben

    System Info:
    Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat RC
    Linux v1 2.6.35-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP i686 GNU/Linux

    From Xorg.0.log
    Code:
    [  1334.718] 
    X.Org X Server 1.9.0
    Release Date: 2010-08-20
    [  1334.718] X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
    [  1334.718] Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-27-server i686 Ubuntu
    [  1334.718] Current Operating System: Linux v1 2.6.35-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Sun Sep 19 20:34:50 UTC 2010 i686
    [  1334.718] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-22-generic root=UUID=dab2b073-9b22-4360-b041-451e09824d0a ro quiet splash
    [  1334.718] Build Date: 16 September 2010  05:39:22PM
    [  1334.718] xorg-server 2:1.9.0-0ubuntu7
    ...
    [  1334.730] (II) LoadModule: "radeon"
    [  1334.730] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so
    [  1334.731] (II) Module radeon: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    [  1334.731]    compiled for 1.9.0, module version = 6.13.1
    [  1334.731]    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
    [  1334.731]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 8.0
    I can post the rest of my Xorg.0.log if anyone is interested.

    References:
    http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonTV
    http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI#TV_out

    man radeon says:

    TV-out support (only on R/RV/RS1xx, R/RV/RS2xx, R/RV/RS3xx. Experimental support on R/RV5xx, R/RV6xx, and R/RV7xx through the ATOMTvOut option);

  • #2
    You can report bugs directly on https://bugs.freedesktop.org.

    Comment


    • #3
      TV-out is not supported on asics that use the rage theatre chip rather than the integrated tv-out controller. Chips that used the rage theatre are the original r100 (radeon 7200) and the original r200 (radeon 8500 and 9100). All other radeons have an integrated tv-out controller.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by agd5f View Post
        TV-out is not supported on asics that use the rage theatre chip rather than the integrated tv-out controller. Chips that used the rage theatre are the original r100 (radeon 7200) and the original r200 (radeon 8500 and 9100). All other radeons have an integrated tv-out controller.
        @agd5f: Thank you for replying, and saving me the time of trying to find a solution, and/or filing a bug report.

        Just to be perfectly clear, this means there is no way to get the TV-out working on this particular video card (with this kernel/X.org version), because it is not supported by the open-source video driver, and the closed-source binary from ATI doesn't work with the newer kernel. Is that correct?

        Is this documented somewhere?

        I'm going to assume there is no point in filing a feature request because either (a) such a feature request already exists, and/or (b) there is virtually no chance this feature request would be implemented. Is that an accurate assessment?

        Thanks again!

        - Ben

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by chiron80 View Post
          @agd5f: Thank you for replying, and saving me the time of trying to find a solution, and/or filing a bug report.

          Just to be perfectly clear, this means there is no way to get the TV-out working on this particular video card (with this kernel/X.org version), because it is not supported by the open-source video driver, and the closed-source binary from ATI doesn't work with the newer kernel. Is that correct?

          Is this documented somewhere?

          I'm going to assume there is no point in filing a feature request because either (a) such a feature request already exists, and/or (b) there is virtually no chance this feature request would be implemented. Is that an accurate assessment?
          IIRC, it's supported in gatos (http://gatos.sf.net) but no one ever ported the code to xf86-video-ati or kms. Unfortunately, I don't have the hw or the time at the moment. However, the rage theatre was pretty similar to the integrated tv-out so it shouldn't be too complex to port the code over.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by chiron80 View Post
            Just to be perfectly clear, this means there is no way to get the TV-out working on this particular video card (with this kernel/X.org version)
            If you can see your comp booting up on the TV OK then you may get it to work using xorg's vesa driver. Depending on what you want to do it, could be a workaround.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by legume View Post
              If you can see your comp booting up on the TV OK then you may get it to work using xorg's vesa driver. Depending on what you want to do it, could be a workaround.
              The TV shows no reaction at all, at any point during the boot or otherwise.

              Oddly (not sure this matters), prior to this weekend the computer was running Windows XP and if I left the TV plugged in during boot, it would start to load Windows and then crash (again, nothing showed on the TV). The TV-out worked fine, but I had to unplug during boot, then plug back in and re-enable it in the ATI control panel after it was done booting.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by chiron80 View Post
                The TV shows no reaction at all, at any point during the boot or otherwise.
                Oh, I guess the rage cards behave differently then.

                As for fglrx, ubuntu seems to get special versions for their latest releases - I am not sure of the details of what kernel/xorg is supported.

                More info somewhere on the non OSS section of this forum.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by chiron80 View Post
                  @agd5f: Thank you for replying, and saving me the time of trying to find a solution, and/or filing a bug report.
                  You can still file a bug on the missing documentation Or better, add what Alex said to the wiki and man page.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by legume View Post
                    Oh, I guess the rage cards behave differently then.

                    As for fglrx, ubuntu seems to get special versions for their latest releases - I am not sure of the details of what kernel/xorg is supported.
                    AMD is matching the Ubuntu release cycles so if Ubuntu 10.10 requires support for Xorg 1.9, AMD will provide 1.9 support in Catalyst 10.10

                    The special version is only a prerelease (beta) of the upcoming release.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by tormod View Post
                      You can still file a bug on the missing documentation Or better, add what Alex said to the wiki and man page.
                      All the info you need is in the gatos tree, it just needs to be ported to kms by someone with the hw.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                        All the info you need is in the gatos tree, it just needs to be ported to kms by someone with the hw.
                        I meant the information for users that the TV-out support does not cover these R200 cards, not information for developers... The man page only says TV-out is supported on R/RV/RS200 cards, that's why I thought the OP was just another bug report.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Updated the man page.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X