Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TV Out with Radeon 9200 and the OS radeon driver, possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RoboJ1M View Post

How do I get the magical tv_horizontal_size setting?

Sadly I've also read that this setting will not fix the current problem,
    Strip missing from the right hand side of the image (looks like overscan)
    Those options are not available with kms at the moment. No one has gotten around to porting the code from ums to kms. You'll need to disable kms to use them for now.

Comment

Originally posted by RoboJ1M View Post
      We're running Ubuntu 10.04, those driver props aren't there.
      We only have "tv standard"
      Will upgrading to 10.10 get use those props?
      Is there a PPA with the latest drivers?

Code:
      scott@media-centre:~$ xrandr --output S-video --set tv_horizontal_size 2
      X Error of failed request:  BadName (named color or font does not exist)
        Major opcode of failed request:  149 (RANDR)
        Minor opcode of failed request:  11 (RRQueryOutputProperty)
        Serial number of failed request:  27
        Current serial number in output stream:  27
      scott@media-centre:~$
      Thanks,

J1M.
      Well, I've had good looking TV output on Radeon 9600 (r300 driver) @ Kubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 without need to set those later parameters.
      Just be sure to use "load detection" instead of load_detection and "tv standard" instead of tv_standard as this has changed with UMS -> KMS change.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        XBMC doesn't use XV? Seems like the place to complain would be to XBMC since that would be THEIR defect... and its a SERIOUS one.
        No, not really.

Xv sucks. MythTV will also ditch it in the next version (or the version after).

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          No, not really.

Xv sucks. MythTV will also ditch it in the next version (or the version after).
          That has nothing to do with Xv "sucking". Mythtv is just bloating out. It will make mythtv suck.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            Those options are not available with kms at the moment. No one has gotten around to porting the code from ums to kms. You'll need to disable kms to use them for now.
            I don't suppose there's a button for that? :\

Can somebody explain how to disable kms and use ums?

Ta,

J1M.

Comment

boot with radeon.modeset=0 on your kernel command line in grub.

Comment

Hi,

I added radeon.modeset=0 after ro splash in the grub line and booted it.
                Unfortunately we just end up with a black and flickery screen.

Pressing the power button shut the machine down, so it hadn't crashed.
                However it would not go any further.

Regards,

J1M.

Comment

Solved it.

Needed to plug in another monitor so we could type:

Code:
                  xrandr --output S-video --set load_detection 1
                  Unfortunately no amount of adjusting the size and position could correct the problem.

The good news is that I used xrandr to create a new modeline of 785x600, pulling the right edge in and put the lines in /etc/gdm/init/default.

Now the entire screen (including the right scroll bar!) is visible.

I shall probably tweak it further to use all of the available screen.

While I've got the ear of smart people I have one final TV-out related question to ask.

Is it possible to fake the ratio, sqaushing it vertically, so that the widescreen TV that it's being send to shows a picture with the correct aspect ratio (16:9)?

So, just like anamorphic DVDs.

Googling suggests that if I could set the screen size for the output that X would figure all this out for me, but the screen size is 0mm x 0mm and I can't see any way to set it with xrandr.

Anybody know the answer to that one?

Thanks,

J1M.

Comment

Originally posted by Meneer Jansen View Post
                    Don Quichote crusade: I won't rest (read: stop testing) until the Linux community can accept Ati/AMD cards as a worthy piece of hardware, fit for everything you'd like to do with your Linux box. Because I want to be able to recommend everybody I know to try Linux one time. No matter what hardware they own

Having said that: the radeon open source driver is really really really really really really good! Some say it's even better than the closed one because old Ati's (like mine) DO work w/ the open one.
                    Likewise, I recommend ATI for anyone using Linux, because:

1) They actively support the open source community.
                    2) The open source ATI drivers are amazing, barring overscan correction, they just work!

Anyway, good luck fellow ATI crusader!

OT: If I wanted to write a Gnome application to assist with correcting overscan on ATI and Intel chipsets (I have 3 to do!), where would I start?
                    I'm thinking of a simple app that adjusts the current modeline with up, down, left, right, width and height buttons. Then something that spits out the xrandr lines to stick in the gdm scripts.
                    I'm a C# developer by trade but I'm thinking, what, python? Is there a good IDE for that? Mono?
                    Or maybe I could start hacking in the Gnome "Monitors" application?

Thanks,

J1M.

Comment

The pre-avivo tv-out encoder was a PITA to set up properly. That's why it only supports 800x600 at the moment. In theory the scaler can scale any size desktop image down the the native timing sizes, you'd just need to figure out the proper crtc timing values and pll ratios.

Comment

Working...
                      X