ATI dropped the ball again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Not anymore, with the latest kernel, you get great savings, as both voltage and clock frequency are scaled.
    Unfortunately without a working dynpm it's just useless crap
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      Panix, I really think that you should not use ATi stuff and only ever use Nvidia for everything.

What the hell is Lubuntu anyway?
      Look it up.

I'll switch to Nvidia when you solder a Nvidia card in my (ATI-equipped) laptop. I hope you are good at it.

Comment

After messing around with KMS and this ATI-equipped laptop, I can say I'll be avoiding any kind of ATI card from now on. Only because I might have to get a cheap laptop and settle on whatever is available (would it be with ATI).

I won't be buying any ATI card for my desktop as long as I use Linux with it, that's for sure!

ATI SUCKS!

I believe I disabled KMS but dmesg | grep drm seemed to show it was still enabled. Later, I tried another command (Kano's) and now maybe it isn't?

ATI doesn't support Linux, bottom line. A crappy open source driver they don't support when the card gets too old for them to the binary driver that is constantly broken or devoid of features to bugs that seem to be continue to the next release... etc. etc. ATI is in Mikey$oft's bed, period. I guess others get fooled.

Comment

Disabling KMS doesn't make drm go away; drm just starts up when X initializes DRI rather than at boot time.

You didn't mention what problem you were trying to solve by disabling KMS - is it in another thread or something ?

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
            After messing around with KMS and this ATI-equipped laptop, I can say I'll be avoiding any kind of ATI card from now on. Only because I might have to get a cheap laptop and settle on whatever is available (would it be with ATI).

I won't be buying any ATI card for my desktop as long as I use Linux with it, that's for sure!

ATI SUCKS!

I believe I disabled KMS but dmesg | grep drm seemed to show it was still enabled. Later, I tried another command (Kano's) and now maybe it isn't?

ATI doesn't support Linux, bottom line. A crappy open source driver they don't support when the card gets too old for them to the binary driver that is constantly broken or devoid of features to bugs that seem to be continue to the next release... etc. etc. ATI is in Mikey$oft's bed, period. I guess others get fooled.
            r200 is very old.. r200 also does not support any modern 'shader'

means your dx8 shader 1.4 hardware isn't flexible.

be sure no modern driver architecture will ever run in this for galium3d you need OGP2.1 hardware at minimum or better ogl3 hardware.

wine for exampel need opengl2.1 shader functions.. if not its drops you to dx7 level ....

r200 is released in 2001 ... means its 9 year old hardware. ..

and hey read this

wikipedia about r200:

"Some segments of the Linux user community, which prefer to avoid the IP-encumbered ATI drivers due to stability and long term maintainability reasons, still prefer the R200-based chips, as they are among the fastest modern video cards with stable open source 3D drivers."

LOL ;-)

come one sell this old notebook and get a R300 based one..

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              Well, Ubuntu claims to "just work", so they should have disabled KMS by default on chips that don't work with it. I guess that means you should report it to the Ubuntu bug tracker.
              I wouldn't recommend disabling KMS in Ubuntu

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rm/+bug/569838

However, I guess a leaking system is better then not working one (but then, any other system is probably better then leaking one). This and some other important bugs make me feel Canonical doesn't care about resolving them at all. It's usually enough to upgrade to newer versions...

Comment

Working...
              X