Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's The R600 Gallium3D Driver Running Gears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Here's The R600 Gallium3D Driver Running Gears

    Phoronix: Here's The R600 Gallium3D Driver Running Gears

    If you read the previous R600g news post from less than an hour ago this should come as no surprise, but: the ATI R600g Gallium3D driver has finally reached the milestone of being able to properly run glxgears. This GLX demo is simple and useless as a benchmark, but is an important development milestone and as talked about in that previous news piece, Jerome hopes to tackle texture support within a few days so then we will see more interesting OpenGL capabilities and we are potentially just days away from being able to run Quake with R600g and a modern ATI graphics processor (you can already do so with an open-source driver stack using the classic Mesa R600/700 driver)...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODQ0Mw

  • #2
    Yes, we have gearage!

    Comment


    • #3
      This is certainly cause for much rejoicing.

      It does sound like it will be rather non-performant until the new shader compiler gets finished, and this is not a priority. Still, it will allow other people to work on other parts of the driver, and with the knowledge from r300g, it should be possible to make progress at least on the feature front.

      So, the way I understand it, the idea is to graft the r600c shader compiler onto r600g for the time being, until the new shader compiler is finished? How well is this expected to work?

      Comment


      • #4
        There's already some bits of texture support landing -- http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...90fd854b23386a
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          LOL. I finally tried out mesa-experimental for my 8200 onboard video after spending most of last night updating and reporting on my test boxes and thinking man this driver stuff is coming together. So anyway nvidia 8200 onboard graphics wouldn't work under fedora 12 and I was hesitant to try it since I have that stupid bug with fedora 13 that won't let you boot the x86_64 install disk. So tough thing to repair system if it goes wrong. I gave up and decided to set run level 3 and give it a go. The stupid thing works. I ran the test day render test on it and it not only worked it performed flawlessly passing EVERY TEST and I have full 1.4 Opengl AND 2.1 opengl support. It smokes stellarium getting 36 to 40 plus frames second. Blender doesn't work at all with all menus being goofed disappeared menu problems.
          So I celebrated tonight by playing a bunch of heretic and hexen with the vavoom package because it has window transparency enhancements to the orginal games which I think are opengl 1.0 but the transparency stuff is 2.1. Man what a trip down memory lane. Made me miss my old 386 system.
          If they get opengl 3.0 3.2 working by the end of the year. I'll freak out.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Hephasteus View Post
            LOL. I finally tried out mesa-experimental for my 8200 onboard video after spending most of last night updating and reporting on my test boxes and thinking man this driver stuff is coming together. So anyway nvidia 8200 onboard graphics wouldn't work under fedora 12 and I was hesitant to try it since I have that stupid bug with fedora 13 that won't let you boot the x86_64 install disk. So tough thing to repair system if it goes wrong. I gave up and decided to set run level 3 and give it a go. The stupid thing works. I ran the test day render test on it and it not only worked it performed flawlessly passing EVERY TEST and I have full 1.4 Opengl AND 2.1 opengl support. It smokes stellarium getting 36 to 40 plus frames second. Blender doesn't work at all with all menus being goofed disappeared menu problems.
            So I celebrated tonight by playing a bunch of heretic and hexen with the vavoom package because it has window transparency enhancements to the orginal games which I think are opengl 1.0 but the transparency stuff is 2.1. Man what a trip down memory lane. Made me miss my old 386 system.
            If they get opengl 3.0 3.2 working by the end of the year. I'll freak out.
            WTF are you talking about dude?
            This thread is about AMD drivers, ***NOT NVIDIA***.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'd be very (positively) surprised if nouveau has full OpenGL 2.1 compliance already.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                I'd be very (positively) surprised if nouveau has full OpenGL 2.1 compliance already.
                The Gallium nv50 driver claims OpenGL 2.1 support.

                Comment


                • #9
                  That's quite impressive given the cold shoulder they get from Nvidia.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    I'd be very (positively) surprised if nouveau has full OpenGL 2.1 compliance already.
                    No idea, but Nouveau seems to have been under more active development than the ATI stuff for the last few months, as usual. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a lot further ahead.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I don't know. ATi stuff has had OpenGL 2 for a very long time, plus there is the entire power management stuff.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Gallium3D == OpenGL 2.1. Even r600g claims it supports that version...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          well, i ve just upgraded to OS 11.2 and with the newer 2.6.34 kernel and its the first time i have had 2d/3d accelartion out of the box so to speak on my HD4830. i know im runningthe classic mesa driver and its so much faster starting X then the catalsyst although ut2004 is a little laggy. i think it will be better for bits from the r300 driver to be graffted on.


                          fingers crossed...........

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I wouldn't say nouveau development is more active than ATI one, at least on the 3D side. nv50 seems to be the only nouveau driver being actively developed and it's basically a one man show (though the man is totally awesome).

                            nvfx (nv30/nv40) is currently dead, there is simply no developer which has time, knowledge, and hardware to be able to develop it. The driver is currently more or less broken and some very important fixes and improvements for it are spread across several branches in mesa git, in case anybody cares.

                            Wielkie G> Actually, no. You can even create an OpenGL 1.3 driver in Gallium.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                              I don't know. ATi stuff has had OpenGL 2 for a very long time, plus there is the entire power management stuff.
                              The opengl stuff isn't anything to do with ati or nvidia. It's done by an entirely different team from what I understand.
                              I just checked it with wine today and unfortunately it's giving 2.1 support but it seems to be using software rasterizer under wine.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X