Amd/ati apu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amd/ati apu

Wondering what is happening at AMD for linux driver development for next year APU? I do assume that AMD is smart enough to develop a free software cross platform driver (common core) that will have outstanding linux support just after release (unlike my new 5750 card that is picking up dust)... thus at the same time completly swipe away NVIDIA linux market share...

Any news about that?

Originally posted by Gizmot View Post
    Wondering what is happening at AMD for linux driver development for next year APU? I do assume that AMD is smart enough to develop a free software cross platform driver (common core) that will have outstanding linux support just after release (unlike my new 5750 card that is picking up dust)... thus at the same time completly swipe away NVIDIA linux market share...

Any news about that?
    The big thing that you seem to be missing is the fact that the whole open-source driver initiative of AMD involves Fusion (APU). The fusion chips are to contain EVERGREEN R800 GPU.

Does it not seem somewhat convenient that their open source drivers will be arriving at a state of "ready to go" at the same time as the Fusion chips come out? That is no coincidence!

They're not coming out publicly and announcing this, but it is clear, based on the timing of everything, that this is the objective: Ready to go out of the box support for FUSION chips at the moment they are available to consumers.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      They're not coming out publicly and announcing this, but it is clear, based on the timing of everything, that this is the objective: Ready to go out of the box support for FUSION chips at the moment they are available to consumers.
      I think Brigman actually said something like this before (so it is kinda official), i.e. that the Fusion-chips were AMDs main motivation for increasing their open-source support.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
        I think Brigman actually said something like this before (so it is kinda official), i.e. that the Fusion-chips were AMDs main motivation for increasing their open-source support.
        Possibly. Bridgman is a great source of (unofficial) official information.

Comment

According to the rumors I could found with my friend google, it does look like first generation fusion chips would use existing technology such as R800 chips.
          Also, I do find interesting the lack of response (to which the post was clealy aimed to) from Brigman to this low posts/high views thread.
          The other interested market perspective to this is also: what will happens at nvidia if ati was to pull off such a move?

Comment

Who is Brigman ?
            Test signature

Comment

Support for the Fusion parts in new markets was one of the reasons for restarting open source graphics driver activity, although the major one was that it was something AMD's big CPU customers wanted to see. Linux has a really significant market share in the server CPU business, maybe 20x what we see in the GPU business.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Who is Brigman ?
                Your evil twin

Comment

now I see...

the whole plan was to be able to provide support for amd fusion chips right out of the vanilla linux kernel for the following reasons:

1. CPU/and or GPU combo support for server, virtualisation and super computers. Admins dont want to mess with crappy and buggy closed source drivers.
                  2. OEM support in order to fight ARM small devices about to flood the market.
                  3. ATI is getting raped by Nvidia when in comes to linux rendering farms.

providing actual open source drivers was just required for markets totally unrelated to consumers graphic cards.
                  At least now we know when the driver is going to be ready...

Comment

3. ATI is getting raped by Nvidia when in comes to linux rendering farms.
                    I have to concur, in particular in GPGPU and OpenCL applications. I hope some people will open their eyes and don't awake too late.

providing actual open source drivers was just required for markets totally unrelated to consumers graphic cards.
                    At least now we know when the driver is going to be ready...
                    I still believe that having two drivers is big waste of time and resources. How many people are working on the Open Source driver: two to three? Those would better suited to fix long-standing bugs in the OpenCL or multimedia stacks... IMHO, having a single good driver is better than two incomplete ones.

Comment

Working...
                    X