Whoops, ATI's Evergreen Will Bring A New Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    The other problem is that Im not able to find any 4770 with blow-out pipe cooling, 4830 and 50 eat too much, I have 420W psu. :/
    In a few seconds, energyman is going to knock on your door

So, you mean, even on 4770 the only driver with 3D is fglrx and for 5xxx cards it is also the only one for 2D? Do I copy it right?
    Yes. Don't know about KMS, I lost it with Fedora 12 when HD3300 -> HD5770

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
      WTF? 5770 with working 2D on open-source drivers?
      Can you doublecheck?
      Ehm... I remember removing my 4870x2, enjoying KMS for 3 months or so with my onboard HD3300... then actually buying a 5770, taking it out of the box, plugging it into my PCI-E slot, fastening it with a screwdriver, booting Fedora 12, seeing that my KMS has gone and watching a YouTube movie...

Now that I am posting this from my desktop without using Lynx, I think that I am pretty sure 2D is actually working, yes...

Comment

Thank you

OK so far ?
        THAT WAS AWESOME. Talk about excruciatingly clear. Thank you I've been wondering the same for a while. Now i can tell where Wayland fits in and stuff. you should put this post at the top of the xorg wiki or something.

Comment

I dont understand, guys...
          Whats current opensource drivers status on 4770 and 5670?

Comment

4770 has 2d and 3d, 5670 has neither.

Comment

hd5 has modesetting.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
                shit this looks more and more like a dog chasing it's tail, when is it going to be an end so we can use the new graphics cards and everything will work, like in Windows?
                You need to lay off the drugs pal, since when did ANYTHING *just work* in windoze? I'm afraid that NOTHING has EVER *just worked* there -- you need to install hardware driver or be stuck with the VESA driver (which they call "VGA".

do linux users always have to use hardware that are ten years old?
                No, you have the option of using the EXACT SAME hardware driver in linux as you use in windoze -- they call it "catalyst". Same code, same driver, no difference.

Perhaps we could finally use R800 for linux desktop for good when R1000 releases on market. So expect to see OGL 3D on your HD 5870 in the year 2012.
                Where are you coming up with these numbers?

Comment

Pff, so with opensource:
                  4770 - 2D yes - 3D(basic) yes
                  5670 - 2D yes - 3D none?

Its kinda important to me, cause with compiz work has more fun
                  And Im on all ati hardware(not i3-540, and selling 9800gt instead of keeping) for the sole sake of supporting them. I also remember "awesome" experience installing nvidia blob on debian as well as being in need to have gcc, glibc and xorg that confirm to nvidia on my (lovely) gentoo.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    4770 has 2d and 3d, 5670 has neither.
                    Boot a Fedora LiveCD, because evergreen does 2D

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                      You need to lay off the drugs pal, since when did ANYTHING *just work* in windoze? I'm afraid that NOTHING has EVER *just worked* there -- you need to install hardware driver or be stuck with the VESA driver (which they call "VGA".
                      Actually nowadays Windows tends to have these certified drivers that are really just vendor drivers that have undergone lots of scrutiny that are bundled with the operating system. So if you have very new hardware, you probably end up doing what you said but with non-bleeding-edge it often works out of the box nowadays with Windows. (kind of what we're moving towards with Linux too, I guess)

Comment

Working...
                      X