Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TV-Out Lucid - Output S-video disconnected

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by molar View Post
    I'm trying to get the video overlay to show in full screen only on the TV, and not on the desktop. it's called "theater mode" in the proprietary ATI driver. do you know by any chance if this can be done?
    Just enable dualhead with the tv as one of the heads and run the video fullscreen on that head.

    Comment


    • #32
      @agd5f:
      I've opened up a new topic, since it's not related to the first problem

      @xeros:
      I've saved your patch, I'm still playing with 9.10 and want to solve the TV theatre mode problem on a more stable release. as soon as I figure out how to do this, I'll use your kernel. thx again.

      Comment


      • #33
        @agd5f:
        forgot the topic:
        http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23827

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by molar View Post
          @xeros:
          I've saved your patch, I'm still playing with 9.10 and want to solve the TV theatre mode problem on a more stable release. as soon as I figure out how to do this, I'll use your kernel. thx again.
          It's not my patch, it's agd5f's and all the thanks should go to him :-)
          Kernel that I've built is Ubuntu Lucid kernel + two patches get from 2.6.34-rc5:
          1. drm/radeon/kms: disable the tv encoder when tv/cv is not in use
          2. drm/radeon/kms: fix tv dac conflict resolver

          Btw. don't you have any problems getting S-video output on Kermic, too? Is it working all the times?
          What card do you have?

          I for example have to change many times "tv standard" between pal and ntsc to get one of these on the S-video output. I'm still not sure if it's hardware or driver bug. Yes, I know I should bug report that but I don't have any clue how to get any logs of this problem - everything looks like it works properly from kernel, Xorg, xrandr logs... (nothing is changing there after I get proper output). I'll report it soon, but I'd like to know if anyone has simmilar problem first.

          Comment


          • #35
            I've managed to see video one time on the TV and this was on Karmic. I can't recall the exact steps I've did, but I don't remember switching between PAL and NTSC. my TV is multi system anyway.

            I've got a radeon 9550 card. In karmic I need to set in the xorg.conf in order to have it permanently. I'm trying to figure out this now. but when I've done the xrandr commands from here
            http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI#TV_out

            it worked great.

            Comment


            • #36
              @xeros:
              the update worked great! I'll stick with 10.04 and try to make the zaphod mode, dualhead, theater mode, or whatever it's called to work.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by molar View Post
                @xeros:
                the update worked great! I'll stick with 10.04 and try to make the zaphod mode, dualhead, theater mode, or whatever it's called to work.
                Nice to hear that.
                Could you please make some more testing in yours free time (it's not a rush as I can get picture on TV in max few minutes by mixing xrandr commands changing standards) - do you have always S-video TV Out working?
                I've read the link you've post and the commands are the same I did on older Kubuntu versions, too.
                I'm thinking if my problem with TV standard activation is really a hardware or graphic card BIOS bug as our cards are quite simmilar and use the same driver - I've got AGP Radeon 9600 (RV350).
                Btw. my TV is multistandard, too (accepts both NTSC and PAL).

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by xeros View Post
                  I've changed the version number so it's not going to be replaced or break by simple update/upgrade but you won't have further security fixes/updates of this version.

                  $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xeros/xeros-test
                  $ sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.32-22xeros-generic linux-headers-2.6.32-22xeros-generic

                  and reboot.

                  i386 packages are now built, too.
                  I'm testing it right now...

                  I tried above commands, and I get an error while running second command. Any clue ?
                  -----
                  ~$ sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.32-22xeros-generic linux-headers-2.6.32-22xeros-generic
                  Reading package lists... Done
                  Building dependency tree
                  Reading state information... Done
                  E: Couldn't find package linux-image-2.6.32-22xeros-generic
                  ------

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    @xeros:

                    do you want specific data or settings that I can pull from my system? I'm using a gigabyte card on a gigabyte K8ns pro motherboard. Please tell me if you want to check something specific.

                    I've installed VLC and configured it to show the full screen on the TV using the XVideo overlay settings in the program. I've encoutered some loss of gamma (known problem) and set it during the player. The video isn't perfect to my tase, but I think that's more of a decoder problem. will have to check it out later.

                    anyway, I think that the dekstop is a bit sluggish sometimes, another problem is small vertical lines on the right end of the screen when I open a menu (occurs only sometimes) and the visual effects always revert to "none" even after I set them to "normal". I really hoped that ubuntu will supply at least the same graphic performance of WinXP, but it give a bit more sluggish graphic response.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by mplsrover View Post
                      I tried above commands, and I get an error while running second command. Any clue ?
                      -----
                      ~$ sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.32-22xeros-generic linux-headers-2.6.32-22xeros-generic
                      Reading package lists... Done
                      Building dependency tree
                      Reading state information... Done
                      E: Couldn't find package linux-image-2.6.32-22xeros-generic
                      ------
                      Sorry, it should be:
                      $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xeros/xeros-test
                      $ sudo apt-get update
                      $ sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.32-22xeros-generic linux-headers-2.6.32-22xeros-generic

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by molar View Post
                        @xeros:

                        do you want specific data or settings that I can pull from my system? I'm using a gigabyte card on a gigabyte K8ns pro motherboard. Please tell me if you want to check something specific.
                        Thanks, just if you could tell me if S-video is working now everytime you poweron your computer. In my case reboot was not sufficient to brake it - I've needed to cut the power off after shutdown of PC to show that S-video tv standard was not properly set/enabled.

                        Originally posted by molar View Post
                        I've installed VLC and configured it to show the full screen on the TV using the XVideo overlay settings in the program. I've encoutered some loss of gamma (known problem) and set it during the player. The video isn't perfect to my tase, but I think that's more of a decoder problem. will have to check it out later.
                        I don't see a gamma problem here - IMO video is very good (for S-video capabilities), a lot better than it was in WinXP few years ago.

                        Originally posted by molar View Post
                        anyway, I think that the dekstop is a bit sluggish sometimes, another problem is small vertical lines on the right end of the screen when I open a menu (occurs only sometimes) and the visual effects always revert to "none" even after I set them to "normal". I really hoped that ubuntu will supply at least the same graphic performance of WinXP, but it give a bit more sluggish graphic response.
                        Do this bugs exist on Lucid, too?
                        I've had some of these - small coloured horizontal but not vertical lines at upper marigin of desktop sometimes on Kubuntu 9.04 or 9.10 but I haven't saw any on Lucid, yet.
                        No problems with visual effects (in KDE on Kubuntu), too - since I've upgraded from 9.10 (to 10.04 beta) I think it's always working and I can enable/disable them when I want to without problems.
                        I haven't noticed any sluggish graphic response, too - whole desktop (with effects) works a lot better than on recent NVidia card (with it's binary drivers) at work. And I have two KDE fully loaded at the same time everytime (multiseat configuration with two simmilar Radeon R3xx cards). The system is a bit less responsive only at logging in into KDE - it's because of two instances of KDE loading at the same time and preload service for most used applications.

                        Take a look at system processes and CPU/RAM usage - maybe there's in background something that eats yours PC resources.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          1. After updating the kernel, svideo worked just out of the box every time. no need for further configuration (except from the first time just to define the screens resolutions.

                          2. I've got WinXP on the same computer. no need for everything video is crystal clear. on Lucid it's seems that the codec isn't perfect. I've read about this on many places. I going to try Mint linux that is bundled with the codecs, to see maybe it's better there.

                          3. I'm working on Lucid now. the system isn't sluggish, but there is a small feeling of "slow" sometimes. I can't put my finger on it. I will check this out in a while. I think I'll let Lucid work through some updates a bit.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by molar View Post
                            1. After updating the kernel, svideo worked just out of the box every time. no need for further configuration (except from the first time just to define the screens resolutions.
                            Good to hear that it works without problems for you but so it has to be only mine problem.

                            Originally posted by molar View Post
                            2. I've got WinXP on the same computer. no need for everything video is crystal clear. on Lucid it's seems that the codec isn't perfect. I've read about this on many places. I going to try Mint linux that is bundled with the codecs, to see maybe it's better there.
                            I'm curious what's that. Do you have any link to talk about this? Or maybe a photo of the screen? :-)
                            I have two options on TV inputs when I get video from PC - it's 'AV2' and 'SVHS'. On 'AV2' option I some litle color problems (not totally different colors but something like not properly set/lost some contrast and gamma maybe) but on 'SVHS' I get good clear picture and video from my PC. It's only a change from remote control of TV, not the cables. Maybe it's something like that what do you have?

                            Originally posted by molar View Post
                            3. I'm working on Lucid now. the system isn't sluggish, but there is a small feeling of "slow" sometimes. I can't put my finger on it. I will check this out in a while. I think I'll let Lucid work through some updates a bit.
                            I'm not using Ubuntu but Kubuntu from few years and I always see that the default configurations eat too much resources of my PC - for example update-apt-xapian-index, update-notifier-kde, popularity-contest, virtuoso-t, etc... You have to look at running processes what eats yours resources. Sorry if you know it already but on KDE (Kubuntu) it's Ctrl+ESC shortcut but I don't know if it works the same in Gnome (Ubuntu). You can always watch processes on console, too - it's 'top' command.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Hi Xeros, I had (well... my girlfriend had...) the same problem with s-video, then I installed kernel's packages from your ppa, but problems still persist.

                              In her Acer Aspire 3020, with an ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700, I can't get the s-video to connect: xrandr always says it's disconnected, while with dmesg I have "[drm] crtc 1 is connected to a TV" and the tv screen is completly black.

                              I'm using KMS on Ubuntu Lucid and I have no Xorg.conf file.

                              Any clue? What info could be useful to resolve the problem?

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                TV out doesn't work on R4xx cards (X700 and X800 variants).

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X