Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

xf86-video-ati X.Org Driver 6.13 RC2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • xf86-video-ati X.Org Driver 6.13 RC2

    Phoronix: xf86-video-ati X.Org Driver 6.13 RC2

    Alex Deucher this morning put out the xf86-video-ati 6.12.6 point release, which isn't too interesting, but of greater interest he did put out a second release candidate for the forthcoming KMS-capable xf86-video-ati 6.13 DDX driver. There's already a lot to be found with this long-overdue and major xf86-video-ati 6.13 X.Org driver update, but added to this second release candidate (that's officially v6.12.192) is an ATI R600/700 GPU fix that should significantly improve the performance of EXA DFS acceleration...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODA2NA

  • #2
    Overdue ? The 6.13 release was scheduled to coincide with KMS moving out of kernel staging AFAIK, and that only happened in 2.6.33.

    Comment


    • #3
      Exactly in which areas does the EXA DFS/GetImage performance matter? Just curious...

      Comment


      • #4
        One example mentioned on IRC was running a composited desktop over XRender rather than OpenGL.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          One example mentioned on IRC was running a composited desktop over XRender rather than OpenGL.
          great !

          so if the opengl performance isn't strong enough yet, there's still the fallback of XRender for kde4

          I'm anxiously awaiting support for Evergreen series: Juniper, Cypress, etc.

          thanks !

          Comment


          • #6
            Sorry for being *buntu-centric, but anyone knows if the GPU fix for R600/700 will be backported for Ubuntu lucid? Many thanks!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mendieta View Post
              Sorry for being *buntu-centric, but anyone knows if the GPU fix for R600/700 will be backported for Ubuntu lucid? Many thanks!
              Lucid will probably follow the 6.13 series until the final release.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                Lucid will probably follow the 6.13 series until the final release.
                Ah, I assume by "following" you mean really "back-porting". Thanks!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                  Ah, I assume by "following" you mean really "back-porting". Thanks!
                  No need to backport. Lucid isn't released yet, they will just adopt the 6.13rc2 release that includes the change within the next days or so.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    i'm not sure, but flash videos seems to be no more laggy in firefox with the dfs patch.

                    (i'm using a rv620 chipset)

                    someone can confirm ?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                      No need to backport. Lucid isn't released yet, they will just adopt the 6.13rc2 release that includes the change within the next days or so.
                      Oh yes, dead on, thanks!
                      http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?ke...id&section=all

                      Note that for other components (Kernel, xserver, etc) they are one major release (or more) behind, and heavily backporting, so I assumeed they were doing the same for the ati driver, but I was wrong

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Yes, Overdue

                        Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                        Overdue ? The 6.13 release was scheduled to coincide with KMS moving out of kernel staging AFAIK, and that only happened in 2.6.33.
                        No proper releases in a year is what most sane people would call overdue. And there is no real excuse for it either. What this whole charade graphically shows, is that the "developers" are singularly unsuited to the task.

                        And all the crap that you spout, Mr Bridgman, is only adding to the widespread view that the radeon driver has been hijacked by idiots, with the full knowledge and complicity of AMD.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm like http://xkcd.com/231/ only with trolls instead of cats

                          Ow, look at this, isn't our new troll cute?

                          Now, who's a good troll? You are! Yes you are!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                            Ow, look at this, isn't our new troll cute?

                            Now, who's a good troll? You are! Yes you are!
                            Or a baby in dire need of a teething ring. Poor gordboy.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                              Ow, look at this, isn't our new troll cute?

                              Now, who's a good troll? You are! Yes you are!


                              I second that, some of the folks developing the OSS driver for ATI hang out here and they are not only very talented, but also cool people. And they do this, for me, for free. Bridgman is also a nice person, always informative. I have nothing but respect for all those people, and my graphics money goes to Intel and AMD for supporting Open Source.

                              I had to get that out, although I promised myself earlier in my life not to feed the trolls !

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X