Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R600 Gallium3D Shader Compiler Milestone Hit

Phoronix: R600 Gallium3D Shader Compiler Milestone Hit

Beyond working on a R600/700 winsys as well as a command submission checker for these ATI Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 series graphics processors, Jerome Glisse of Red Hat has also been busy at work on a shader compiler for the R600/700 ASICs with the still-in-early-development Gallium3D driver. Over the weekend Jerome hit one of his first milestones with this code. As Jerome mentions on his blog, the shader compiler is still beginning to work: as in a tri-flat being rendered using this new compiler infrastructure...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally some love for R600+ cards!

With so much going on on R300g and almost no R600 commits for ages I was starting to doubt my decision to buy ATI.

Comment

I can hardly wait for r600g. Especially if the gsoc project for opengl 3.2 will really happen.

Are there any plans to make the r300g be the default driver? (Say in Mesa 7.9.) Or that's not going to happen until gallium3d 1.0?

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
        Finally some love for R600+ cards!

With so much going on on R300g and almost no R600 commits for ages I was starting to doubt my decision to buy ATI.
        Mesa is not the only project where development is happening. There's the DDX, Kernel DRM and other stuff.

Comment

Nice! My last video card was an r300 and I think the work on that has been pretty much exhausted. I have an r700 now and glad to see someone working on my card. Hope performance gets up to or even exceeds Windows performance (exceed perhaps by being more flexible and configurable).

Keep at it!

Comment

Sincere congrat's on the pretty triangle, but...

How long until I can run Doom 3, Nexuiz, Google Earth, X3, Jack Keane, & the Penumbra series etc. with open source drivers on an r600+ at max settings? Ever?

Comment

Originally posted by alazyworkaholic View Post
              How long until I can run Doom 3, Nexuiz, Google Earth, X3, Jack Keane, & the Penumbra series etc. with open source drivers on an r600+ at max settings? Ever?
              When you're too old to bother with that stuff

Comment

It's a black triangle.

Comment

Doom 3, Nexuiz, and Penumbra work already on the classic Mesa driver in Mesa 7.8.

I haven't tested the other ones, but I suspsect they'll work.

However last I checked the shadows are messed up in Doom 3, so I had to disable them. And the performance isn't that great. I'd say Doom 3 and Prey were getting about 20-30fps on Medium/High. I didn't benchmark them; but they were playable.

Edit: Thanks for the Gallium work Jerome.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
                    And the performance isn't that great. I'd say Doom 3 and Prey were getting about 20-30fps on Medium/High. I didn't benchmark them; but they were playable.
                    lol

Comment

Working...
                    X