Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATI Radeon KMS Leaves Staging Area In 2.6.33

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ATI Radeon KMS Leaves Staging Area In 2.6.33

    Phoronix: ATI Radeon KMS Leaves Staging Area In 2.6.33

    David Airlie has called upon Linus to pull in a new set of DRM patches for the Linux 2.6.33 kernel, which should land with the Linux 2.6.33-rc7 release. These graphics patches for the Linux kernel bring a few fixes for TTM, Radeon DisplayPort tweaks, r600 blit mutex, and support for the VMware graphics driver with older versions of the VMware Workstation...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Nzk0Mg

  • #2
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: ATI Radeon KMS Leaves Staging Area In 2.6.33

    David Airlie has called upon Linus to pull in a new set of DRM patches for the Linux 2.6.33 kernel, which should land with the Linux 2.6.33-rc7 release. These graphics patches for the Linux kernel bring a few fixes for TTM, Radeon DisplayPort tweaks, r600 blit mutex, and support for the VMware graphics driver with older versions of the VMware Workstation...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Nzk0Mg

    Hooookay. Will RD890GX/880G chipsets be Evergreen? They should be here within a few months. Will there be even preliminary native kernel Evergreen support by then? Inquiring minds want to know...

    Comment


    • #3
      From what hardware news sites are saying, it doesn't look like 880G/890GX will be Evergreen-based. All the slides seem to say DX10 or DX10.1, which suggests the R600/R700 generation.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
        From what hardware news sites are saying, it doesn't look like 880G/890GX will be Evergreen-based. All the slides seem to say DX10 or DX10.1, which suggests the R600/R700 generation.
        It's quite common for AMD embedded GPUs to use last-gen 3D technology, coupled with the latest ouput support, UVD, etc. which would require the r800 modesetting support even if the Mesa 3D code only required a few updates from r700.

        Comment


        • #5
          *dances like a madman in the laboratory here*

          Finally! Officially! Oh please, Linus, give us a stable 2.6.33 release!
          Thanks AMD/free devs!

          Now it just needs power management (which would've been one of my primary concerns since my passively cooled 3870 becomes quite hot wo. PM) and some more ... but hey, I'll soon be able to enjoy KMS. Awesome. (that means goodbye tricky fb console setup, right?)
          I hope my userland will be ready for this soon enough.

          Cheers!

          Comment


          • #6
            Yeah, 2.6.33 plus Mesa 7.8 is going to rock!

            Comment


            • #7
              KMS is still not ready in 2.6.33. It's simply too slow and full of graphical glitches (I'm on an RV770). But it's good that it's out of the staging area, as any promising driver should.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by madbiologist View Post
                Yeah, 2.6.33 plus Mesa 7.8 is going to rock!
                It's working very good here (except to problems mentioned by RealNC), but it will start rocking when Gallium3D will be ready :>

                Comment


                • #9
                  IIRC, the main holdup was getting the infrastructure for powersaving ready.

                  Does this mean that kernel-based powersaving is coming soon?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    power saving will likely come in 2.6.34

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X