No announcement yet.

Radeon Gallium on ubuntu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The xorg.conf option is an ubuntu specific option. It's not upstream.

Comment

• Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      The xorg.conf option is an ubuntu specific option. It's not upstream.
      The changelog it was referred to is for the packaging in the xorg-edgers main PPA. It is only for the users of this PPA. The idea is to make it easy for users to try out latest X bits, using either classic or gallium. The optional -gallium package (overriding classic) is one way to do it, the xorg.conf option is part of another strategy. Although some people are happy to copy files around and/or symlink (also compile drivers themselves) this does not go well with double-click package management.

Some way to install and try out gallium might end up in Debian (experimental) and official Ubuntu (maverick) as well at some later point.

Comment

• Just to report: with the yesterday's update through xorg-edgers ppa my old x1250 came back to pre 9.10 state when using proprietary driver. I wouldn't have thought that was possible since ati put it into legacy and it became no longer supported with new kernel. It just made my eyes water. Thanks for everyone who made it possible! Keep on going!

Comment

• Originally posted by zand View Post
          Just to report: with the yesterday's update through xorg-edgers ppa my old x1250 came back to pre 9.10 state when using proprietary driver. I wouldn't have thought that was possible since ati put it into legacy and it became no longer supported with new kernel. It just made my eyes water. Thanks for everyone who made it possible! Keep on going!
          Do you mean 3D performance or 3D features?

Comment

• I mean the former, performance. I can't say much on the features though.

Comment

• Why in the world no one uses the 3D screensavers as Benchmarks? with -fps I can see the native frame rate and the test is repetitive with same 3D complexity each time the test is run.

Comment

• Many aren't repetitive, random movement and thus random obscuring of other objects.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beiruty View Post
                  Why in the world no one uses the 3D screensavers as Benchmarks? with -fps I can see the native frame rate and the test is repetitive with same 3D complexity each time the test is run.
                  Well some of us do https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Screensavers

It is at least useful for works vs doesn't work testing. Just filed https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=28775 now.

Comment

• Looks like there were a bunch of updates in the xorg-edgers ppa today.

xserver-xorg-core wouldn't update due to xserver-xorg-video-6. Something broke after that because I get the following.
                    Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
                    Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig
                    I ran a ppa-purge and it's still like that.

Xorg.0.log
                    http://pastebin.com/vxMY8Vkz

Comment

• Code:
                      (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/libglx.so
                      (II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
                      Well don't install the nvidia drivers and you won't have this particular GLX problem :-)

Adam

Comment

• derp.

I removed all the nvidia packages, added the xorg edgers ppa again and ran dist-upgrade. Everything is good now. Thanks.

Comment

• Hi guys,

I don't know if is this the right topic, but I've installed Gallium driver on Ubuntu Lucid, so I think i'm not so wrong .

I used default ATI Radeon driver (my chip is a ATI X1600), the open one. Those I've found when I've installed Ubuntu.
                          With this driver Compiz Plugin Alpha Blur give me a lot of lag: I can only use for menu and tooltip, if I try to set it for normal window: my PC get veeeeeeery slooooowly!

I've heard about Gallium driver so i decided to try.
                          I've added this PPA:
                          https://edge.launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa
                          I run an update, upgrade and dist-upgrade and my Xorg, my Mesa-utils and other apps became upgraded.
                          Now my version of Xorg is 1.8.2 .
                          I install libgl1-mesa-dri-gallium and reboot my system.
                          Now Compiz work well (like before the installing), infact Alpha Blur is "laggy".

But now OpenArena, glxinfo or glxgears give me Segmentation Fault when i try to run it.
                          For example OpenArena:
                          Code:
                          a lots of other information
                          ----- Client Initialization -----
                          ----- Initializing Renderer ----
                          -------------------------------
                          QKEY found.
                          ----- Client Initialization Complete -----
                          ----- R_Init -----
                          SDL using driver "x11"
                          Initializing OpenGL display
                          Estimated display aspect: 1.250
                          ...setting mode 8: 1280 1024
                          Segmentation fault
                          - Can I do something more (edit Xorg.conf, install or update other packages, offer for sacrifice windows of my house to Tux) for use correctly Gallium driver?
                          - How can I have with "default" open driver Compiz Plugin Alpha Blur?

Thanks a lot for your advices, sorry for the language, but I'm Italian

Comment

• Can you post a backtrace from the crash?

Comment

• Here's what my Terminal give me.
                              I don't have a real crash: system goes ok, but i think something is wrong.

albi@albi-desktop:~$ glxgears
                              Segmentation fault
                              albi@albi-desktop:~$ glxinfo
                              name of display: :0.0
                              Segmentation fault
                              albi@albi-desktop:~$ /media/Dati/Giochi/openarena-0.8.1/openarena.i386
                              ioq3+oa 1.36 linux-i386 Jan 3 2010
                              ----- FS_Startup -----
                              Current search path:
                              /home/albi/.openarena/baseoa
                              /media/Dati/Giochi/openarena-0.8.1/baseoa/simpsons.pk3 (592 files)
                              /media/Dati/Giochi/openarena-0.8.1/baseoa/pak6-patch085.pk3 (559 files)
                              /media/Dati/Giochi/openarena-0.8.1/baseoa/pak6-misc.pk3 (229 files)
                              /media/Dati/Giochi/openarena-0.8.1/baseoa/pak5-TA.pk3 (139 files)
                              /media/Dati/Giochi/openarena-0.8.1/baseoa/pak4-textures.pk3 (1753 files)
                              /media/Dati/Giochi/openarena-0.8.1/baseoa/pak2-players.pk3 (669 files)
                              /media/Dati/Giochi/openarena-0.8.1/baseoa/pak2-players-mature.pk3 (231 files)
                              /media/Dati/Giochi/openarena-0.8.1/baseoa/pak1-maps.pk3 (100 files)
                              /media/Dati/Giochi/openarena-0.8.1/baseoa/pak0.pk3 (1042 files)
                              /media/Dati/Giochi/openarena-0.8.1/baseoa/more_crosshairs.pk3 (78 files)
                              /media/Dati/Giochi/openarena-0.8.1/baseoa

----------------------
                              5392 files in pk3 files
                              execing default.cfg
                              execing q3config.cfg
                              couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
                              Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
                              ----- Client Initialization -----
                              ----- Initializing Renderer ----
                              -------------------------------
                              QKEY found.
                              ----- Client Initialization Complete -----
                              ----- R_Init -----
                              SDL using driver "x11"
                              Initializing OpenGL display
                              Estimated display aspect: 1.250
                              ...setting mode 8: 1280 1024
                              Segmentation fault
                              albi@albi-desktop:~$

Comment

• Please show us your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.

Adam

Comment

Working...
                                X