Radeon Gallium on ubuntu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by marek View Post
    To my knowledge there have been some patches which haven't been tested much yet. I'd rather wait until it's more stable.
    No "some patches", but glisse pushed into d-r-t and ddx master around week ago. you only need to enable pageflip in xorg.conf.
    There were problems initially mainly with mesa classic(blackscreen, hangs, xorg,module reloads and even reboots were needed), but its mostly fixed now(sometimes xorg crashesh when moving aroung mesa classic window, but its not critical for me), and it doesnt cause blackscreen with dynpm now(it damny rulez).

I am using r500/T60p, ddx/mesa master and d-r-t and wmaker(but tested compiz and it generally worked with pageflip/dynpm). So maybe add some conditionals around your glFinish commit for pageflip.

Comment

• Originally posted by evil_core View Post
      No "some patches", but glisse pushed into d-r-t and ddx master around week ago. you only need to enable pageflip in xorg.conf.
      There were problems initially mainly with mesa classic(blackscreen, hangs, xorg,module reloads and even reboots were needed), but its mostly fixed now(sometimes xorg crashesh when moving aroung mesa classic window, but its not critical for me), and it doesnt cause blackscreen with dynpm now(it damny rulez).

I am using r500/T60p, ddx/mesa master and d-r-t and wmaker(but tested compiz and it generally worked with pageflip/dynpm). So maybe add some conditionals around your glFinish commit for pageflip.
      @Marek: And generally some today code caused hardclockups of system in first 10 seconds after starting OpenArena in Gallium mode(it also happens with Classic). reverting glFinish patch dont helps, I can avoid lockups by setting r_finish to 0, but it was set before and didnt locked machine) (probably GPU hang)

Comment

• Originally posted by evil_core View Post
        it also happens with Classic
        Well if it happens with classic it might not related to Mesa at all, classic hasn't seen any new code for a long time... unless there is a bug in the compiler. If you still think it's a Mesa-driver issue, please git bisect (use "sync" when you expect lockups) and ideally file a bug.

I don't usually use drm-radeon-testing, it's too bleeding-edge for me. When I develop, I need to be sure that if there is a new regression, it's caused by me and not by some other part of the system. Otherwise Ḯ would be wasting my time trying to figure out what's wrong with my code.

Also, before disabling the glFinish code, I need to be sure that DRI2 Swap&Sync does fix the input lag Axiom (and me) noticed. The current behavior of glFinish *is* the correct one, and games shouldn't use it at all because it's known to be a performance killer and it's discouraged by every (serious) GPU vendor out there. The well-written games don't use it.

Comment

• Hi,
          I am running stock Ubuntu Lucid + edgers PPA.
          I wanted to try the new gallium driver, so I installed the libgl1-mesa-dri-gallium package following instuctions from the PPA.
          But even after reboot, it seem that the gallium driver is not used.

Kernel: 2.6.32-22-generic (distribution default kernel)
          My GK: Mobility Radeon X2300 (RV515)

Relevant part of glxinfo:
          Code:
          OpenGL vendor string: DRI R300 Project
          OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 (RV515 718A) 20090101 x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL DRI2
          OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 7.9-devel
          If I am not mistaken, there should be R300g for gallium and OpenGL 2.1 ?

Any pointers what could be wrong ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Melf View Post
            Hi,
            I am running stock Ubuntu Lucid + edgers PPA.
            I wanted to try the new gallium driver, so I installed the libgl1-mesa-dri-gallium package following instuctions from the PPA.
            But even after reboot, it seem that the gallium driver is not used.

Kernel: 2.6.32-22-generic (distribution default kernel)
            My GK: Mobility Radeon X2300 (RV515)

Relevant part of glxinfo:
            Code:
            OpenGL vendor string: DRI R300 Project
            OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 (RV515 718A) 20090101 x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL DRI2
            OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 7.9-devel
            If I am not mistaken, there should be R300g for gallium and OpenGL 2.1 ?

Any pointers what could be wrong ?
            To switch to gallium, try to install "gallium" pack from the edgers PPA.

Comment

• Originally posted by zand View Post
              To switch to gallium, try to install "gallium" pack from the edgers PPA.
              Well, there is no package called gallium in the PPAs. There is only the libgl1-mesa-dri-gallium, which I have already installed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Melf View Post
                Well, there is no package called gallium in the PPAs. There is only the libgl1-mesa-dri-gallium, which I have already installed.
                I experienced the same trying nouveau from xorg-edgers. My solution was to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the correct gallium dir (can't remember which, but you can find it easily listing the content of package libgl1-mesa-dri-gallium).

Comment

• Thanks for pointing to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, it looks like I found where the problem was

There was some ancient fglrx script still included in /etc/profile, which was probably messing with LD_LIBRARY_PATH. After removing it, gallium is used even without explicitly setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Results ?
                  About 200 more FPS from i-know-its-not-a-benchmark-glxgears (900 vs 700) and 3d apps seem to be snappier.
                  I havent tried video yet, should I expect some improvements under gallium ?
                  Othervise no artifacts so far.

Comment

• I think there isn't much work done on the video acceleration, we've been concentrating solely on the 3D area.

Comment

• under r300h, glknots shows break ups in it surface and bad lighting effect.

Comment

• Since about a week ago Compiz is not working with r300g. When I run compiz --replace it falls back to Metacity. I can't find any error logs or anything. It still works on r300c.

I have been using the xorg-edgers ppa. I used to compile it myself from the git repo which I also tried and it does the same thing.

Comment

• Since upgrading from 20100523 (fa552261) to 20100528 (f4bcd0ca) lugaru locks the machine up solidly, pretty much as soon as the rabbit starts to move. Anyone else seeing this? (I am using lucid + "radeon gallium" PPA on RV410)

Any educated guess on which commit could have caused this? I can do some bisecting, but the full machine reset cycle makes it a pain.

Comment

• Originally posted by rob2687 View Post
                            Since about a week ago Compiz is not working with r300g. When I run compiz --replace it falls back to Metacity. I can't find any error logs or anything. It still works on r300c.

I have been using the xorg-edgers ppa. I used to compile it myself from the git repo which I also tried and it does the same thing.
                            I suppose it's been fixed with this commit:
                            http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...69ce13272bc120

Originally posted by tormod View Post
                            Since upgrading from 20100523 (fa552261) to 20100528 (f4bcd0ca) lugaru locks the machine up solidly, pretty much as soon as the rabbit starts to move. Anyone else seeing this? (I am using lucid + "radeon gallium" PPA on RV410)

Any educated guess on which commit could have caused this? I can do some bisecting, but the full machine reset cycle makes it a pain.
                            I'll test Lugaru soon...

Comment

• Originally posted by tormod View Post
                              Since upgrading from 20100523 (fa552261) to 20100528 (f4bcd0ca) lugaru locks the machine up solidly
                              It is not confined to lugaro, also some compiz effects (the window switcher on super-tab) can trigger this.

Comment

• Could you please file a bug?

Comment

Working...
                                X