Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open ATI Driver To Receive PowerPlay Push?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    - Thermal/fan controllers. These are 3rd party chips connected via i2c. Drivers need to be written for each of these chips before they can be used. Then you need to wire them up to some interface so you can access the information. There are existing drivers for some of these chips, but we need to write a radeon i2c algo module to expose the radeon i2c buses so they can be used by other drivers. This in itself is a fair amount of work.
    Hu? Bridgman told me on IRC that from r7xx it's done through the ATOM bios?

    Comment


    • #17
      @agd5f

      Thanks for exposing these problems and thoughts behind the code. It's quite interesting.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by sylware View Post
        Hu? Bridgman told me on IRC that from r7xx it's done through the ATOM bios?
        The thermal chip information is stored in atombios data tables on all chips. R6xx and R7xx have built in fan/thermal controllers, however, not all oems use them. You still need driver code to actually query the thermal information.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          It's possible, but it's still a lot of work. Besides, just exposing clocks to users does not ultimately save much power or give a good user experience. There are a lot of factors to consider:

          - Bandwidth. Do I have enough memory bandwidth in this power state to properly feed all active displays as well as the drawing engine? Not enough bandwidth can cause drawing stalls or glitches and blanking or flickering of the displays.

          - Frequency. Is the current clock rate high enough to finish the current operations within an acceptable time window? Often, it's a better user experience and saves more power to bump the GPU to a higher power state than you might think so the operation finishes sooner. Set it too low and performance will suck.

          - Thermal/fan controllers. These are 3rd party chips connected via i2c. Drivers need to be written for each of these chips before they can be used. Then you need to wire them up to some interface so you can access the information. There are existing drivers for some of these chips, but we need to write a radeon i2c algo module to expose the radeon i2c buses so they can be used by other drivers. This in itself is a fair amount of work.

          - Power mode changes. This needs to be done during the blanking period or when the displays are off to avoid visual glitches. Often the latencies required make it hard or impossible to fit this into a vblank period.
          In case to give users full access to clocks/fan/temps only 3rd item is needed, for things like - preventing overheating, overclocking, power saving (I/user can get 2d clocks from atombios with help of RBE and use it)

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by netkas View Post
            In case to give users full access to clocks/fan/temps only 3rd item is needed, for things like - preventing overheating, overclocking, power saving (I/user can get 2d clocks from atombios with help of RBE and use it)
            You need all of them for a decent user experience.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              The thermal chip information is stored in atombios data tables on all chips. R6xx and R7xx have built in fan/thermal controllers, however, not all oems use them. You still need driver code to actually query the thermal information.
              err... I understood that it was a matter of running ATOM bios byte code for that from r7xx. Wrong?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by sylware View Post
                err... I understood that it was a matter of running ATOM bios byte code for that from r7xx. Wrong?
                There is an atom table to initialize the thermal chip, but no tables to query it.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I don't think that's right. Information ABOUT the thermal / fan controllers is stored in AtomBIOS and agd5f has pushed the headers required to interpret that information, but AtomBIOS does not contain drivers for the controllers. The BIOS does often initialize the controller at boot so there may be some code in there but AFAIK that code is not set up as an independent "call me" driver.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    When I think of space ships and ufos' I think about Apple.
                    Maybe in the future Apple finally wins. We end up stuck with brushed-metal spaceships and helvetica text.

                    I really hope that isn't the case.

                    I hope there is a Microsoft planet that is secretly fighting these grey space men. It's almost as if you could make a game. But the Apple faction is strictly limited in it's choice of ships and upgrades.

                    Starcraft. yes, Linux would be the Zerg, lots of complicated upgrade paths.

                    Apple would be the protos with their expensive upgrades and units.

                    Microsoft could be the humans with their easy upgrades and fast generated units.


                    sleep

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by sylware View Post
                      AFAIK, it does not.

                      "Ripping closed source" means reverse engineering the closed source driver. That's what the people of the nouveau project are doing on the nvidia Linux driver.
                      Just a reminder to the AMD assets who lurk around the forum all day when they are not committing changes to mesas git and that sort of thing: This is why I will never buy nvidia graphics cards or even laptops who contain a nvidia chip again. So remind your bosses how important it is to help develop free software drivers.. or we'll all be stuck with intel graphics chips (which would be the only acceptable choice left)

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Yes, please tell them, that with intel graphics, usually comes intel CPU.
                        Anyway, today I am happy with 2.6.32 and Mesa 7.7. 3D worked after arch linux update, and went flawlessy(Q3 engines,Google Earth,Compiz). There are bugs here and there, but I know it is a matter of time. Keep the good work AMD, and I will support you. In january I am going to get myself AMD based PC,..again Congratz.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by squirrl View Post
                          Starcraft. yes, Linux would be the Zerg, lots of complicated upgrade paths.

                          Apple would be the protos with their expensive upgrades and units
                          Not to forget Zergs overran pretty much everyone and everything until Protoss stared obliterating their own planets whenever there was an invasion.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Yes, back to earth and the topic

                            What's the status o the PowerPlay stuff in opensource drivers? I'm currently using fglrx. My laptop's getting bit hot when the Ati card is doing something intensive while also taxing the CPU.

                            I'm willing to switch to open source drivers, though. Is there any hope of the PowerPlay stuff (apart from putting my GPU core to constant lowest clock) getting it's way into 2.6.33? What other features are pushed into 2.6.33 that aren't in 2.6.32?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Neuro View Post
                              Yes, back to earth and the topic

                              What's the status o the PowerPlay stuff in opensource drivers? I'm currently using fglrx. My laptop's getting bit hot when the Ati card is doing something intensive while also taxing the CPU.

                              I'm willing to switch to open source drivers, though. Is there any hope of the PowerPlay stuff (apart from putting my GPU core to constant lowest clock) getting it's way into 2.6.33? What other features are pushed into 2.6.33 that aren't in 2.6.32?
                              You should at least tell what graphic card you have in your laptop. :-) Things are very different between GPU models.
                              I have an X600 RV380, radeon from git, kernel-2.6.32, KMS-disabled, dual head and set a permanent low power state in xorg.conf. Works fine for me, Google Earth and video playback work.
                              Never looked back at fglrx after the devs introduced basic power saving features for my card.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by signor_rossi View Post
                                You should at least tell what graphic card you have in your laptop. :-) Things are very different between GPU models.
                                I have an X600 RV380, radeon from git, kernel-2.6.32, KMS-disabled, dual head and set a permanent low power state in xorg.conf. Works fine for me, Google Earth and video playback work.
                                Never looked back at fglrx after the devs introduced basic power saving features for my card.
                                Hi signor_rossi, I think I remember you from Arch Linux forums. I am giving Arch a break right now since my internet connection is too slow for constant updating, and also due to non-working fglrx (my card is mobility X1600), I am not yet satisfied with the current state of power saving, my laptop is a both hotter and noisier than with my Debian Lenny's fglrx. And it would be the only thing needed for me to make the switch, I don't need any performance, if I need high-performance gaming I boot my Windows XP (or a gaming console).

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X