Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R600 Open-Source Driver WIth GLSL, OpenGL 2.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is this the heart of your argument about how AMD is trying to kill OpenGL? Cuz i never understood where that was coming from.
    It came from this page: http://unigine.com/download/
    Have a look at the known driver issues with ati cards when using OpenGL.
    You may also have a look at my previous post (138) here: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...=21068&page=14

    Comment


    • Originally posted by barbarbaron View Post
      It came from this page: http://unigine.com/download/
      Have a look at the known driver issues with ati cards when using OpenGL.
      You may also have a look at my previous post (138) here: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...=21068&page=14
      Oh, sorry, I confused you and q. If the Unigine problems mean ATI is trying to kill OpenGL, then I guess the Mesa and OSS developers are really trying to can it, huh?

      Comment


      • Oh, sorry, I confused you and q. If the Unigine problems mean ATI is trying to kill OpenGL, then I guess the Mesa and OSS developers are really trying to can it, huh?
        You extend the meaning of pointless beyond its original context.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Sorry Q, but I don't understand your point either.

          Why are you specifying workstation cards for OpenGL but not for DirectX ? In both cases you either need the workstation optimizations (for best performance with huge models) or you don't... and if you *don't* need the optimizations etc... then you might as well use a consumer card for OpenGL as well.
          be sure the architur of openGL gives much more power to AMD to cut out extansione/features.

          in the directX world amd can't cut out some features because directx hase some core features thats mean every game and every programm und microsoft use this features...
          now you can build a CAD only up to this features CORE-DirectX !

          in the OpenGL world if you cut out this features the CPU render the exstansion means SLOW...
          in the DirectXworld the CORE-DX feature set always renderet by the GPU!

          OOO yes "for best performance" LOL
          yes thats true amd can extra optimation DirectX to..'

          but thats not what i mean.....

          a directX cad runs on a gamer-directX cart much faster than a OpenGL cad on a Gamer-card...

          for exampel BLENDER only use the CPU and very basic openGL 'Gamer-Card' extansions.... because of the war of 'Quatro/FireGL' against openGL......

          in my point of view Quatro/FireGL kills OpenGL!

          Comment


          • i respect your point of view. I however get a funny feeling that you are full of shit.

            I can extract this:

            - AMD and Nvidia are killing openGL
            - They cut out OGL features?
            - DX is faster on a gamer card then OGL on a gamer card?
            - Blender uses the cpu alot due to a quatro/firegl war?

            you also note : "but thats not what i mean...."

            Invalidating the first 2/3 of your post.

            I am left slightly confused.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
              be sure the architur of openGL gives much more power to AMD to cut out extansione/features.
              I guess... but AFAIK the differences between the driver stack are in the areas of optimizations and app certifications from workstation ISVs, not extensions/features (unless you call the optimization a feature, of course ).

              Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
              in the directX world amd can't cut out some features because directx hase some core features thats mean every game and every programm und microsoft use this features...
              now you can build a CAD only up to this features CORE-DirectX !

              in the OpenGL world if you cut out this features the CPU render the exstansion means SLOW...
              in the DirectXworld the CORE-DX feature set always renderet by the GPU!
              See above.

              Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
              a directX cad runs on a gamer-directX cart much faster than a OpenGL cad on a Gamer-card...
              Possible. Might be true for workstation cards as well. Do you have any examples where the same app is currently supported on both APIs on the same OS (to eliminate differences between OSes and graphics frameworks) ?

              Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
              for exampel BLENDER only use the CPU and very basic openGL 'Gamer-Card' extansions.... because of the war of 'Quatro/FireGL' against openGL......
              OK, I'll bite. Which extensions do you think are missing from gaming opengl drivers that cause the Blender devs to only use the most basic features ? Isn't it more likely that the use of a minimal OpenGL set is targeted at open source drivers rather than gaming vs workstation drivers ?

              Your reasoning is excellent as always, but you base your conclusions on "facts" which don't seem to have any grounding in reality, or which are based on over-generalization of a single outlier case. It might be worth a bit of time to validate your underlying "facts" first.
              Last edited by bridgman; 12-28-2009, 02:41 PM.

              Comment


              • At the risk of getting back on topic:
                Are these "R600 Open-Source Driver WIth GLSL, OpenGL 2.0" good enough to run something like Far Cry(1) in wine?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by not.sure View Post
                  At the risk of getting back on topic:
                  Are these "R600 Open-Source Driver WIth GLSL, OpenGL 2.0" good enough to run something like Far Cry(1) in wine?
                  You can always try. Personally I haven't seen anything but the trivial tests and demos that come with Mesa render correctly with GLSL.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                    You can always try. Personally I haven't seen anything but the trivial tests and demos that come with Mesa render correctly with GLSL.
                    I would, but I don't have the hardware. I'm thinking of dumping my (nvidia) notebook in favour of one with ATI card. And it's very difficult to find any useful info about how much trouble I'd run into in between all the flame wars going on here.

                    Comment


                    • There's a status page of several programs here:

                      http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonProgram

                      It doesn't list Far Cry, but as you can see most wine games are listed as garbage unfortunately.

                      Comment


                      • GLSL on 6xx/7xx is at the point where it passes most of the unit tests and has started app testing & bug fixing.

                        I wouldn't call it ready for general use yet.
                        Last edited by bridgman; 12-28-2009, 03:49 PM.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by not.sure View Post
                          I would, but I don't have the hardware. I'm thinking of dumping my (nvidia) notebook in favour of one with ATI card. And it's very difficult to find any useful info about how much trouble I'd run into in between all the flame wars going on here.
                          hey in 'my point of view'

                          OpenGL2 means something like DirectX8/9b...

                          i think farcry1 is a dirctX9c game.....

                          then you need OpenGL2.1+'VTF'+'3-4 wine-openGL3.2 extensions'

                          ins short words... no!

                          there are still 1 wine bug in wine or catalyst 9.12 and 9.12 have openGL3.2 with Wine extansions and 3.2 means also full Vertex Textur fetch VTF support.
                          mesa7.8/radeon do not have VTF and only 1 wine extension (of 4) and no ogl2.1 and no ogl3.2 at all

                          they also can fix wine and chance the nvidia stylisch dx9VTF(mean dx10/ogl3) in an pure ATI directx9c-shader3-ugly one.

                          but you still need OGL2.1+(WineOGL3.2 extensions for best performance).

                          i think the Opensource driver can handle this in mybe 6 monds!

                          Comment


                          • Far Cry 1 has got OpenGL and D3D engine.

                            r_Driver = "OpenGL"

                            You have to force in the config file to use it. Better use google befor you post something wrong

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                              There's a status page of several programs here:

                              http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonProgram

                              It doesn't list Far Cry, but as you can see most wine games are listed as garbage unfortunately.
                              Mhm ok thanks. Is there a similar list for fglrx?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Kano View Post
                                Far Cry 1 has got OpenGL and D3D engine.

                                r_Driver = "OpenGL"
                                That's correct. And last time I checked, with the nvidia blob both work without issues.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X