Radeon HDMI Audio Set For Linux 2.6.33 Kernel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Louise View Post
    Who uses audio in HDMI? People with HTPC's?
    If I ever set up a 2 seat system. I'll just use main sound board for one seat and hang some powered speakers off the 2nd monitor.

Comment

Bad Idea - big time

98% (a percentage that is a mere starting guess) of people using ATI cards are NOT running HTPCs, they are just normal desktops. So what? The HDMI driver grabs sound card zero and effectively mutes your computer. The savvy user knows this and edits /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf to move the HDMI sound to -2. The noob goes wtf? and goes back to Windows. If it is part of the kernel then the sound output from the soundcard will not work right from the start.

Just my two cents worth. I have a desktop with an HD3450 that does not have HDMI, yet the driver makes the device anyway so i had to fix my sound up. I also have an HTPC running a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard with onboard HD3200 and it does have HDMI sound, which I do not use for the reasons given above. The output from the TV is nobbled for DRM requirements so I need Optical spdif out to my amp. Again I had to work at fixing the sound. One day I will replace my amp with an HDMI model, but my current amp is working well so it will not be for a long time.

I am a 12 year plus Linux user, and I worked out the problem and solution without effort. A noob is going to struggle with even where to start.
      Last edited by grege; 12-17-2009, 03:50 AM.

Comment

OTOH the new open source driver is awesome

I am a Sidux user and the wonderful people who package Sidux have made the latest drivers available in the repos. My machine with an HD3450 now runs the open source radeon driver with desktop effects and xv acceleration. So far it has been rock solid. It is also installed on my HTPC and works just as well with the onboard HD3200.

A big thank you to those who have slaved away to create the radeon driver.

Comment

Originally posted by grege View Post
          98% (a percentage that is a mere starting guess) of people using ATI cards are NOT running HTPCs, they are just normal desktops. So what? The HDMI driver grabs sound card zero and effectively mutes your computer. The savvy user knows this and edits /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf to move the HDMI sound to -2. The noob goes wtf? and goes back to Windows. If it is part of the kernel then the sound output from the soundcard will not work right from the start.

Just my two cents worth. I have a desktop with an HD3450 that does not have HDMI, yet the driver makes the device anyway so i had to fix my sound up. I also have an HTPC running a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard with onboard HD3200 and it does have HDMI sound, which I do not use for the reasons given above. The output from the TV is nobbled for DRM requirements so I need Optical spdif out to my amp. Again I had to work at fixing the sound. One day I will replace my amp with an HDMI model, but my current amp is working well so it will not be for a long time.

I am a 12 year plus Linux user, and I worked out the problem and solution without effort. A noob is going to struggle with even where to start.
          There are more frustrating things
          Can't call myself a newbie, but still couldn't find a way to disable playback from mic on X31 without muting mic. Sound on Linux is a mess. And configuration is anything but easy and intuitive.

Comment

Originally posted by grege View Post

Something wrong with your distro pal, F12 with RHD -- audio *just works* out of the mainboard soundcard with no issues. The problems only happen when you tell PA to use the RHD soundcard, but that is to be expected. Certainly isn't going to scare off any newb's when it *just works*.

Comment

There are millions of combinations of motherboards, sound cards and video cards. There are on board video chips and onboard sound chips and standalone versions. Many distros and kernel and driver versions. There is KDE and Gnome and Xfce4 etc. And ALSA, Pulseaudio and Phonon.

Your particular combo may be working OK for now, and good luck to you. In my experience the HDMI audio driver often (but not always) causes grief whether from the fglrx or xorg-radeon drivers and across three different disros and multiple distro versions.

Sometimes you can run with your sound card not as soundcard 0, but eventually something breaks.

All we need is a simple way of saying to the setup do not make an HDMI sound device please. This can be achieved through xorg.conf entries and editing alsa-base.conf, but that is not simple for beginners. Plus xorg.conf is meant to be disappearing.

Comment

Radeon HDMI Audio Set For Linux 2 6 33 Kernel

Thats the point. If therere many people using Linux as a server, then Windows Server can well take its place in the market as a Hypervisor product, even if people move away from Windows Server to provide regular services.

Comment

Working...
                X