Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working DisplayPort Arrives For Radeon KMS

Phoronix: Working DisplayPort Arrives For Radeon KMS

David Airlie has announced on his blog that he and Alex Deucher have finally got support for DisplayPort-driven graphics cards and monitors working with the open-source ATI Linux driver stack. Not only is there user-space mode-setting support via the xf86-video-ati DDX driver, but the kernel mode-setting for this latest monitor interface is working too...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Nzc0Mw

Ah, the beast has been tamed. Well done, both of you!

Comment

Cool!

Will this also work with Evergreen, or does it use DisplayPort differently than R600/R700 ?

Comment

I thought only

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/x...ati/log/?h=dp2

had support for DP?

Comment

Looks like the code has moved on from agd5f's branch :

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...?h=displayport

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne.../drm-radeon-dp

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
            Will this also work with Evergreen, or does it use DisplayPort differently than R600/R700 ?
            last news was that even DVI doesn't work on Evergreen yet. Modesetting changed quite a bit due to eyefinity.

Implementing DP on r600 is a prerequisite to implementing DP on evergreen, though.

see here.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
              last news was that even DVI doesn't work on Evergreen yet. Modesetting changed quite a bit due to eyefinity.

Implementing DP on r600 is a prerequisite to implementing DP on evergreen, though.

see here.
              I see. Thanks for clearing that out

Comment

What proportion of users actually use DP? Reason I ask is that I've never actually seen any kind of display device that actually uses this kind of connector (although I do have one board that has a DP output... which has never been used).

Just curious, not implying anything.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                  What proportion of users actually use DP? Reason I ask is that I've never actually seen any kind of display device that actually uses this kind of connector (although I do have one board that has a DP output... which has never been used).

Just curious, not implying anything.
                  Its a relatively new standard and I would assume it will get quite a bit of support over time since unlike DVI/HDMI, it is royalty free.

It also has other benefits such as greater bandwidth, but these may not be of too much use on consumer laptops/desktops with average sized monitors.

Comment

It's just starting to become important; took longer than expected for DP displays to hit the market in volume.

Comment

From
                      http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Featur...eonDisplayPort

DisplayPort has a higher link bandwidth than dual-link DVI. Monitors can take advantage of this by providing higher resolutions, higher color depths, and higher refresh rates. DisplayPort also runs at a lower voltage than DVI and LVDS, using less power. Future laptops will likely switch to embedded DisplayPort for the local panel for this reason. With this feature, Fedora users can take advantage of the the technical superiority of DisplayPort.
                      Known DP sinks:
                      * Apple: 24" LED
                      * Dell: 2408WFP, 3008WFP
                      * HP: LP2275w, LP2480zx

Comment

Congrats on the driver progress.

It's interesting how some innovations take longer than others to make an impact in the marketplace. PCIexpress took off right away, for example, driven by the gaming market, but DisplayPort is taking some time. One of the arguments is that DP could make for cheaper "direct-drive" monitors, but none of the vendors actually offers any such thing at present.

One niche where I think it could be useful is in "Stereo 3D" use. Doubling the frame rate with today's resolutions requires a lot of bandwidth, which DP is good at, and DP 1.2 will explicitly support Stereographic 3D. DP's micro-packet architecture seems better suited to this purpose, and the generation of the goggles sync signal could be left up to the display device.

A lot of the Stereo 3D scientific workstations in the world run Linux rather than Windows.

Comment

You can add the HP LP2475w to that list too.

My HP LP2475w also has a DP connector. Not that I have a card that I can connect it to...

Comment

Working...
                          X