Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mirv View Post
    Does Quake4 run?
    The demo doesn't for me on 6xx as it refuses to start with s3tc disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by legume View Post
      The demo doesn't for me on 6xx as it refuses to start with s3tc disabled.
      Same here. Forcing s3tc with driconf or installing libtxc_dxtn.so makes it run here, but it's unplayable because the graphics is all messed up.

Comment

yep just tried too, s3tc doesn't work, forcing the setting on makes it start, but show corrupt zebra textures, add it to the row of apps that need it.

Comment

btw
          when can we actually expect glsl for the open source drivers?
          want ma heroes of newerth on my notebook

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
            btw
            when can we actually expect glsl for the open source drivers?
            want ma heroes of newerth on my notebook
            well glsl i think is already in mesa 7.8 but is still experimental, i would bet for mesa 7.9 for a fully functioanl glsl

Comment

I just want to make clear for any radeon devs that read this: bloody awesome work! I just need the features that aren't ready yet, but the drivers are actually further along than I would have expected by now.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                I just want to make clear for any radeon devs that read this: bloody awesome work! I just need the features that aren't ready yet, but the drivers are actually further along than I would have expected by now.
                Indeed, things started suddenly clicking together and we've gone from little/no 3d to two different working 3d stacks. Doom3 is a great milestone - I certainly didn't expect gallium to pick up steam so quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
                  I run Ubuntu 9.10 + the xorg-edgers lucid PPA which has mesa 7.8 and xserver 1.8. I can not recommend to mix lucid/karmic packages, but just to give you some bad ideas to try out
                  Do you get those random freezes with compiz enabled in Ubuntu 9.10?

I got a couple that not even alt-sysrq+RSEIUB would get me out of. Had to power cycle. No other machine ATM to try ssh ing on though...

Ubuntu 9.10 x86-64 + catalyst 9.11 + 4850 mobility radeon

[EDIT]
                  also check your eye on pulseaudio, mine frequently creeps up to over 2.4GB RESIDENT RAM used -> horrible thrashing and unresponsiveness as all DRAM + VM is sucked down...

@OP
                  You're just lucky that recent catalyst releases have cleared up, finally, most of the basic nagging problems that alot of us have lived with for 9m(or more). Alot of people still complaining about video, and I certainly notice that compiz + fglrx is nowhere near even as good as Intel + compiz or nVidia + compiz. It's just a general anchor on performance with AMD + catalyst, not to mention it seems to affect video enough with it on that I think I know why those people were complaining about poor video for so long. (I used to have to have compiz off, because my nb wouldn't wake up with catalyst + compiz enabled... wonderful drivers)
                  [/EDIT]
                  Last edited by cutterjohn; 27 November 2009, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experience, it looks very promising. We now have to waiy for better 3D support and xvba.

Another question : how do you set quality settings and brightness with this driver ? If there is a gui, where could I find a screenshot ?

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post
                      Do you get those random freezes with compiz enabled in Ubuntu 9.10?

[...]

Ubuntu 9.10 x86-64 + catalyst 9.11 + 4850 mobility radeon
                      I doubt it, since he's using xorg-edgers he's probably using the open source drivers and not that catalyst junk you are using
                      Last edited by monraaf; 27 November 2009, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X