No announcement yet.

Radeon OpenGL 2.0 support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is Richard's work-in-process code to implement the flow control IL instructions that come down from Mesa. As far as I know the code has run and passed simple test cases but that's all. We wanted to get the code out into the public repository so other developers could see and try it.

It's possible that everything could Just Work (tm) immediately, of course, but unlikely. Enabling GLSL at this point would cause some applications to stop using arb_fp/arb_vp code paths (which work) and use untested GLSL paths instead resulting in application breakage, nasty blog posts, and hordes of angry users marching up the hillside with flaming torches.
    Last edited by bridgman; 18 November 2009, 09:55 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Yeah, you got a point there. But some people are anxious to test the code, even if it isn't fully functional yet. Maybe he could add a temporary environment variable while the code is still experimental to enable GLSL (e.g. LIBGL_USE_GLSL) or something like that...

Comment

We still need to sort out a few extensions before we can enable GL 2 support which is required for GLSL IIRC. The commits today add the necessary shader compiler flow control bits needed for GLSL.

Comment

I thought the plan was to wait for r600g before doing glsl.

So will this code be reusable in the gallium driver? Or is it going to have to eventually scrapped?

Comment

I believe the plan is still to wait for Gallium3D before doing GL 2.0, and leave classic Mesa at (GL 1.5 + GLSL) but that plan was probably made before classic Mesa got to GL 1.5. It's also not clear today how many apps will take advantage of the GLSL extensions if GL 2.0 is not present, so there's an element of "we'll see".

This new code is mostly in the shader compiler (which is likely to get re-used in the initial 600g driver), so most of it will be used in both Gallium3D and classic Mesa.
            Last edited by bridgman; 19 November 2009, 06:19 AM.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              support for r3xx-r5xx is in progress in the r300 gallium driver. glsl support was started:
              http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~nh/mesa/log/?h=r300g-glsl
              thanks. will r300 also get GLSL with classical Mesa as bridgman suggested for r600?

Comment

XBMC need OpenGle 1.4 and GLSL.

That's the last thing preventing me from using opensource stack. I have a radeon 4670, so i think that i'm still gonna wait a few months more before the big step ^^.

Bibi
                Last edited by bibi; 19 November 2009, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  support for r3xx-r5xx is in progress in the r300 gallium driver. glsl support was started:
                  http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~nh/mesa/log/?h=r300g-glsl
                  Holy Shit! A dream come true.
                  I definitely need to get another harddrive and put on another linux-installation on it for testing this bleeding edge stuff.
                  I'll be so happy when I can play HoN without fglrx...

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    This is one of the reasons we think switching to the open source drivers for older GPUs makes sense.
                    Oh fun, so the plan is to restrict new hardware to fglrx and "outsource" support for older hardware to whoever cares enough to do it?

WTG amd

That are the moments I wish I had bought an nvidia card. The ati way always was shitty proprietary support and selective support for OS drivers - with nvidia at least the proprietary stuff is excellent.

Comment

Oh fun, so the plan is to restrict new hardware to fglrx
                      Where did you get that idea?!?

That are the moments I wish I had bought an nvidia card.
                      Because they restrict new hardware to the binary driver and don't support free drivers at all?

Comment

Working...
                      X