Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Survey on high priority Radeons bugs -> 2009-10-29

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Does that maybe mean that U devs do not use R600 hardware to test

    Comment


    • #17
      Or that they're all secretly running Kanotix and only pretending to install Ubuntu. I don't know.

      The most likely explanation is that the release is still in development. The impact of always loading the Intel KMS drm seems to go a lot further than 6xx/7xx hardware:

      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/392039

      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ce/+bug/399702

      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/404496
      Last edited by bridgman; 09-16-2009, 06:29 PM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        EDIT - just remembered something -- I noticed you mentioned that Google Earth wasn't working well -- it seems to run fine if you run it from the command line with vblank_mode=0.
        I just copied that part from the X.org wiki page, but I'll add that tip (thanks). As for Google Earth, it effectively locks up my system because it's a 32-bit program. I need to build a 32-bit mesa, but I haven't got around to it.

        ... might be easier/better to patch in the r600 drm bits.
        That would be really nice. They patched in the kernel bits needed for EXA/Xv in the last build, but I have a feeling that they'll stick with pure software Mesa in Karmic.

        They shouldn't be shipping the r600 3D driver without the proper drm bits.
        Yeah, it looks like they're patching mesa to not include it at the moment.

        Does that maybe mean that U devs do not use R600 hardware to test
        ..or test that hardware with only fglrx?

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Ah yes, looks like the Intel KMS drm is still being loaded automatically even if you're running with non-Intel graphics.

          Blacklisting the Intel drivers and updating the initramfs then rebooting allowed the drm to start properly and then everything worked.
          This sure sounds like a high priority bug to me, why on earth are they loading Intel graphics drivers when there is no Intel GPU present?

          I'm planning to switch to Karmic in about 2 weeks time, I sure hope this is fixed by then.

          Comment


          • #20
            Because they use absolutely stupid code - did not install U nor did i test kms on intel, but the code which loads em is really easy to find even when you just test the live image:

            https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ls/+bug/392039

            Look at my comments.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              EDIT - just remembered something -- I noticed you mentioned that Google Earth wasn't working well -- it seems to run fine if you run it from the command line with vblank_mode=0.
              Intriguing. Maybe it works for my rv670 without any params because the vblank sync requires interrupts whose documentation is yet undelivered...

              Comment


              • #22
                Actually right now the documentation is unwritten. You can't call it undelivered yet

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Actually right now the documentation is unwritten. You can't call it undelivered yet
                  That's a matter of perception, I guess. I could say a pizza delivery company hasn't yet delivered me a pizza regardless of whether it's still in the oven or not, couldn't I? (I wonder what it is with me and pizzas, I seem to raise them at every occasions; maybe I'm just hungry)

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Alberto Milone (Canonical), hours ago:

                    Originally posted by OMGWTFBBQ
                    We are still looking into the possibility to get a working 3D driver for
                    r600 in time for Karmic. I can't promise anything though.
                    Would be pretty cool if you ask me.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                      That's a matter of perception, I guess. I could say a pizza delivery company hasn't yet delivered me a pizza regardless of whether it's still in the oven or not, couldn't I? (I wonder what it is with me and pizzas, I seem to raise them at every occasions; maybe I'm just hungry)
                      I think a better analogy here would be that the pizza company has not delivered a pizza which you have not yet ordered, which is one of those philosophical concepts best discussed over pizza at 3am. Since I live out in the sticks I make my own pizza, thereby avoiding the potential deadlock situation.

                      Anyways, I don't think interrupts are gating the initial release of 6xx/7xx 3D.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                        I think a better analogy here would be that the pizza company has not delivered a pizza which you have not yet ordered, which is one of those philosophical concepts best discussed over pizza at 3am. Since I live out in the sticks I make my own pizza, thereby avoiding the potential deadlock situation.

                        Anyways, I don't think interrupts are gating the initial release of 6xx/7xx 3D.
                        I suspect a lot of beer would also help the dicussion. And yeah, I don't claim interrupts mean that much right now. Mostly will probably reduce CPU usage (due to polling not happening anymore) and we getting working vsync with KMS.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X