Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Survey on high priority Radeons bugs -> 2009-10-29

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Ah yes, looks like the Intel KMS drm is still being loaded automatically even if you're running with non-Intel graphics. Blacklisting the Intel drivers and updating the initramfs then rebooting allowed the drm to start properly and then everything worked. Thanks !

    EDIT - just remembered something -- I noticed you mentioned that Google Earth wasn't working well -- it seems to run fine if you run it from the command line with vblank_mode=0.
    Last edited by bridgman; 09-16-2009, 03:20 PM.

    Comment


    • #12
      For many people includign me, with R6xx+, Ubuntu 9.10 doesn't work at all at the moment.

      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ti/+bug/419126

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        For many people includign me, with R6xx+, Ubuntu 9.10 doesn't work at all at the moment.

        https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ti/+bug/419126
        They shouldn't be shipping the r600 3D driver without the proper drm bits.

        Comment


        • #14
          You mean mesa?

          Comment


          • #15
            Mesa built with "r600" included in the --with-dri-drivers= option string...

            ... might be easier/better to patch in the r600 drm bits.

            Comment


            • #16
              Does that maybe mean that U devs do not use R600 hardware to test

              Comment


              • #17
                Or that they're all secretly running Kanotix and only pretending to install Ubuntu. I don't know.

                The most likely explanation is that the release is still in development. The impact of always loading the Intel KMS drm seems to go a lot further than 6xx/7xx hardware:

                https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/392039

                https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ce/+bug/399702

                https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/404496
                Last edited by bridgman; 09-16-2009, 06:29 PM.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  EDIT - just remembered something -- I noticed you mentioned that Google Earth wasn't working well -- it seems to run fine if you run it from the command line with vblank_mode=0.
                  I just copied that part from the X.org wiki page, but I'll add that tip (thanks). As for Google Earth, it effectively locks up my system because it's a 32-bit program. I need to build a 32-bit mesa, but I haven't got around to it.

                  ... might be easier/better to patch in the r600 drm bits.
                  That would be really nice. They patched in the kernel bits needed for EXA/Xv in the last build, but I have a feeling that they'll stick with pure software Mesa in Karmic.

                  They shouldn't be shipping the r600 3D driver without the proper drm bits.
                  Yeah, it looks like they're patching mesa to not include it at the moment.

                  Does that maybe mean that U devs do not use R600 hardware to test
                  ..or test that hardware with only fglrx?

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Ah yes, looks like the Intel KMS drm is still being loaded automatically even if you're running with non-Intel graphics.

                    Blacklisting the Intel drivers and updating the initramfs then rebooting allowed the drm to start properly and then everything worked.
                    This sure sounds like a high priority bug to me, why on earth are they loading Intel graphics drivers when there is no Intel GPU present?

                    I'm planning to switch to Karmic in about 2 weeks time, I sure hope this is fixed by then.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Because they use absolutely stupid code - did not install U nor did i test kms on intel, but the code which loads em is really easy to find even when you just test the live image:

                      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ls/+bug/392039

                      Look at my comments.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X