Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

r6xx 3D games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    The Phenom II are monster processors, I'm really enjoying working with mine.

    Anyway, I enjoy playing OpenArena here. I can simply not have enough of the Quake3 gameplay. I hope the remaining bugs get resolved soon, although it seems like there is some black voodoo involved and that the crashes and corruption are really hard to pinpoint.

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      Anyway, I enjoy playing OpenArena here. I can simply not have enough of the Quake3 gameplay. I hope the remaining bugs get resolved soon, although it seems like there is some black voodoo involved and that the crashes and corruption are really hard to pinpoint.
      Well, at least in Quake 3 they WERE fixed yesterday. I played 5 levels without problems. But I updated mesa/drm a couple of hours ago and the crashes returned.

      Comment


      • #23
        git bisect - and you will hopefully make the developers happy

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by whizse View Post
          git bisect - and you will hopefully make the developers happy
          Nope, now it works again xD. Maybe it was because I updated without reloading the drm/radeon modules and there was some mismatch.

          (edit) Ooops, here they are again. Weird, some times I can play for hours without any problem; sometimes it crashes in some seconds. I'll see if I can find what triggers the crash.
          Last edited by Fran; 08-22-2009, 02:53 PM.

          Comment


          • #25
            For me, the crash is when finishing the first level on OpenArena. It plays perfectly, but at the moment when I win, it crashes.

            I can play the third level all the way through, and it doesn't crash, even after finishing it.

            Levels 2 and 4 play well, but crash in mid-game after a while.

            This is all with LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1, there is no way to test it in direct mode, as there's not way in hell I can win a level without seeing anything

            Comment


            • #26
              Aren't phenom's pretty noisy and power hungry compared to intel ones (perf per watt wise) ? I'm sorry I don't want to start any flame war, I'm just uninformed, but from what I've been told and what I have at home (3800 xp), I'm really suspicious. I always bought AMD, but never managed to have a silent computer (maybe I suck at choosing the hardware).
              Anyway the topic is about games, I'm really eager to test some more.

              Comment


              • #27
                I got a Phenom II this month and it's been great so far. The stock cooler is quiet enough (most of my noise is from using a cheap case) and it's never gone above 50C.

                And remember that Intel's quoted TDP wattages are averages, AMD's are maximum values.

                Comment


                • #28
                  The first Phenoms were supposedly power-hungry, the Phenom II aren't, at least not significantly more than comparable Intel processors, to the best of my knowledge.

                  As for games, the devs are working really hard to fix this stuff.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Thx for the corrections.

                    I tried democracy 2 with wine. it reached the main menu, but as I didn't want to crash my setup, I left the game before starting a new one. Which crashed X. The game is ok under wine with fglrx, nvidia but garbage with intel.
                    i will do it once again, and report the crashes if I can.
                    Last edited by lucky_; 08-22-2009, 05:48 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by lucky_ View Post
                      I tried democracy 2 with wine. it reached the main menu, but as I didn't want to crash my setup, I left the game before starting a new one. Which crashed X. The game is ok under wine with fglrx, nvidia but garbage with intel.
                      Intriguing. I just started the same game's demo with Windows and it crashed.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X