Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

r6xx 3D games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Fran View Post
    Well, even Diablo 2 vid test fails in the Direct3D detection, so I suppose it IS too soon, yeah :P
    Counter Strike 1.6 works pretty well in OpenGL mode.
    Skyboxes didn't work, and you could see sprays through walls. I didn't try playing online because I'd probably get VAC banned if I could see other players through walls.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
      Skyboxes didn't work, and you could see sprays through walls. I didn't try playing online because I'd probably get VAC banned if I could see other players through walls.
      It's not like anyone would know anyway... Here we see an interesting use case of open drivers. You can actually tweak them to allow you to cheat.

      Comment


      • #18
        Really nice job, I am running compiz fine with good performance on my laptop equipped with HD 34xx mobile edition.
        I just have to notice some refresh issues:
        It happens with every applications, I have to minimize maximize to force a redrawing.
        I'm running xorg-edgers ppa, which has merged agd5f's branch.
        I'll try several games and report their status.

        Well I'm realy pleased by how things are going, Next purchase is ATI, hope AMD cpus get back on track soon.
        They seem to have a hard time comparing to their intel counterparts.

        OK, so UrbanTerror doesn't work, the menus are garbled and when I start the game (unreadable menus but I now where to click blindly) it crashes right after the progress bar reaches the end. (when you enter the world).
        Extremetuxracer crashes as well.

        I tried neverball, it works with some artifacts inside the ball, (triangles are switching/rotating in the ball )
        Last edited by lucky_; 08-22-2009, 11:37 AM.

        Comment


        • #19
          I'll be happy when I can run UT2004 without rebooting into fglrx. It'll run on ancient OpenGL1 PCI cards so hopefully there's not much left to do...

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by lucky_ View Post
            Well I'm realy pleased by how things are going, Next purchase is ATI, hope AMD cpus get back on track soon.
            They seem to have a hard time comparing to their intel counterparts.
            Actually AMD Phenom IIs compete pretty well with i7s, especially since the motherboards are so much cheaper for AMD cpus.
            Sure AMD doesn't compete with Intel's $1000 i7 975, but I don't think they've lost many sales because of that.

            The Phenom II X4 955 and 965 compete pretty well against the i7 920, and they're $50 cheaper. The X3s and X2s are also really good for their price.

            Comment


            • #21
              The Phenom II are monster processors, I'm really enjoying working with mine.

              Anyway, I enjoy playing OpenArena here. I can simply not have enough of the Quake3 gameplay. I hope the remaining bugs get resolved soon, although it seems like there is some black voodoo involved and that the crashes and corruption are really hard to pinpoint.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                Anyway, I enjoy playing OpenArena here. I can simply not have enough of the Quake3 gameplay. I hope the remaining bugs get resolved soon, although it seems like there is some black voodoo involved and that the crashes and corruption are really hard to pinpoint.
                Well, at least in Quake 3 they WERE fixed yesterday. I played 5 levels without problems. But I updated mesa/drm a couple of hours ago and the crashes returned.

                Comment


                • #23
                  git bisect - and you will hopefully make the developers happy

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by whizse View Post
                    git bisect - and you will hopefully make the developers happy
                    Nope, now it works again xD. Maybe it was because I updated without reloading the drm/radeon modules and there was some mismatch.

                    (edit) Ooops, here they are again. Weird, some times I can play for hours without any problem; sometimes it crashes in some seconds. I'll see if I can find what triggers the crash.
                    Last edited by Fran; 08-22-2009, 02:53 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      For me, the crash is when finishing the first level on OpenArena. It plays perfectly, but at the moment when I win, it crashes.

                      I can play the third level all the way through, and it doesn't crash, even after finishing it.

                      Levels 2 and 4 play well, but crash in mid-game after a while.

                      This is all with LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1, there is no way to test it in direct mode, as there's not way in hell I can win a level without seeing anything

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Aren't phenom's pretty noisy and power hungry compared to intel ones (perf per watt wise) ? I'm sorry I don't want to start any flame war, I'm just uninformed, but from what I've been told and what I have at home (3800 xp), I'm really suspicious. I always bought AMD, but never managed to have a silent computer (maybe I suck at choosing the hardware).
                        Anyway the topic is about games, I'm really eager to test some more.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I got a Phenom II this month and it's been great so far. The stock cooler is quiet enough (most of my noise is from using a cheap case) and it's never gone above 50C.

                          And remember that Intel's quoted TDP wattages are averages, AMD's are maximum values.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            The first Phenoms were supposedly power-hungry, the Phenom II aren't, at least not significantly more than comparable Intel processors, to the best of my knowledge.

                            As for games, the devs are working really hard to fix this stuff.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Thx for the corrections.

                              I tried democracy 2 with wine. it reached the main menu, but as I didn't want to crash my setup, I left the game before starting a new one. Which crashed X. The game is ok under wine with fglrx, nvidia but garbage with intel.
                              i will do it once again, and report the crashes if I can.
                              Last edited by lucky_; 08-22-2009, 05:48 PM.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by lucky_ View Post
                                I tried democracy 2 with wine. it reached the main menu, but as I didn't want to crash my setup, I left the game before starting a new one. Which crashed X. The game is ok under wine with fglrx, nvidia but garbage with intel.
                                Intriguing. I just started the same game's demo with Windows and it crashed.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X