Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

r6xx 3D games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by netkas View Post
    the driver is borked in last builds, glxgears with direct rendering - app freeze, with inderect (via aiglx) - system lockup
    Ah, that sounds more normal. As far as I've understood, you're really only supposed to be getting app hangs in direct unless GPU itself hangs whereas with indirect the whole X server can crumble down under you.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
      Ah, that sounds more normal. As far as I've understood, you're really only supposed to be getting app hangs in direct unless GPU itself hangs whereas with indirect the whole X server can crumble down under you.
      If the GPU hangs, you generally lose X too since it uses the 3d engine as well regardless of whether it's direct or indirect. Direct contexts just prevent something like a segfault or an assert in the 3D driver from taking the server out.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by netkas View Post
        the driver is borked in last builds, glxgears with direct rendering - app freeze, with inderect (via aiglx) - system lockup
        If you are using kms make sure you grab the latest bits from drm-next.

        Comment


        • Is there an uptodate howto, where I can se the different branches needed for kms/3d/2d/xv?

          I have builded with 3d support one time before, but it was very unstable then. Now its time to try again. And this time with kms

          But can someone post a short howto with branches and in which order I have to install the stack? thx. When everything is moving so fast, its hard to keep up :-)

          Those saying nvidia driver development is moving faster, is lying.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by tball View Post
            Those saying nvidia driver development is moving faster, is lying.
            Well, nVidia's proprietary drivers have had so big a headstart that it'll still take a long time to catch up even assuming open ATi drivers actually progress a lot faster than them.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by tball View Post
              Is there an uptodate howto, where I can se the different branches needed for kms/3d/2d/xv?

              I have builded with 3d support one time before, but it was very unstable then. Now its time to try again. And this time with kms

              But can someone post a short howto with branches and in which order I have to install the stack? thx. When everything is moving so fast, its hard to keep up :-)
              Now that kernel 2.6.32 is in the RC stage and Mesa 7.6 is out, can one get working 3D on r6xx/r7xx from released source instead of git repositories?

              For instance, can I get 3D (with or without KMS) from these packages?
              linux 2.6.32-rc1
              mesa 7.6
              xf86-video-ati 6.12.4
              libdrm 2.4.14

              Comment


              • Originally posted by octoberblu3 View Post
                Now that kernel 2.6.32 is in the RC stage and Mesa 7.6 is out, can one get working 3D on r6xx/r7xx from released source instead of git repositories?

                For instance, can I get 3D (with or without KMS) from these packages?
                linux 2.6.32-rc1
                mesa 7.6
                xf86-video-ati 6.12.4
                libdrm 2.4.14
                Thats a good question. Does someone know?

                Comment


                • It is a good question.

                  linux 2.6.32-rc1 and xf86-video-ati should be new enough (the kernel definitely is), and I believe that Mesa 7.6 has plenty of r600+ 3d code in it.

                  libdrm is probably not recent enough, though.

                  Here, I have 2.6.32-rc1 with everything else from git, and it works on many things, but hangs with some games. I guess my libdrm and the kernel-drm are still out of sync.

                  I'll have to upgrade to the latest drm-next, but I can't get a snapshot via git so I can't merge that branch.

                  EDIT: The problems I describe are with KMS, without KMS, things work like a charm.
                  Last edited by pingufunkybeat; 09-29-2009, 03:57 PM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    It is a good question.

                    linux 2.6.32-rc1 and xf86-video-ati should be new enough (the kernel definitely is), and I believe that Mesa 7.6 has plenty of r600+ 3d code in it.

                    libdrm is probably not recent enough, though.
                    It's the opposite. libdrm 2.4.14 is new enough. ati 6.12.4 isn't (at least it doesn't work with KMS).

                    I don't know about mesa.

                    Comment


                    • Well, does anyone know what versions I exactly need for kms and 3d?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X