Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HDMI audio support for RV730 in radeon/radeonhd?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndyW View Post
    It would help if the Xorg wiki had feature tables in order to make it easier to determine whether something like this is meant to be working, has a known bug or has not been implemented yet.
    The best I could find was http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature
    Unfortunately it doesn't break things down to the individual chip types. The changelog at http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeonhd doesn't help much either, it just says "Added support for HDMI audio on RS690 and R700."

So I guess bridgman's comment above is the best inidcator we can get at the moment.

Comment

You could also try asking one or more of the people listed in the code commit titled "R700 HDMI audio support" at http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...a742818e18df72

Comment

I've got a set of patches on top of Christian's to clean up and document the registers and bits. Might also fix rv730, but I don't have an hdmi sink to test with at the moment. As soon as the patches are approved, I'll post them to the ML.

Comment

Sounds good - I am up for HDMI testing on RV730 (or any other testing for that matter, though my main focus is on 2D and audio as this is an HTPC project). Will the patches be for radeonhd or for the drm-next KMS driver?

Madbiologist: Thanks for the link. I take back what I said about the feature table, though you are right it would help to break out into individual chipsets, given the differences within even the same family. The wiki is difficult to navigate - it is hard to find something unless you know pretty much exactly what it is to start with.

Comment

AFAIK the issue with audio on 730 (probably 710 as well) is the only chip-specific one we have; probably not worth reformatting the entire table to deal with it.

There are chip-specific bugs from time to time, which probably wouldn't make it into the table anyways; might make more sense to treat the 730 audio support as a bug rather than a missing feature.

Personally I would rather see a relatively small table that is accurate and up to date than a hugely detailed table which has not been correct since 1999

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              I've got a set of patches on top of Christian's to clean up and document the registers and bits. Might also fix rv730, but I don't have an hdmi sink to test with at the moment. As soon as the patches are approved, I'll post them to the ML.
              agd5f: You mentioned your patches again in the #radeonhd IRC channel the other night - any idea when they will get approved, or if can I get hold of them before to test on RV730 / HDMI audio?

Thanks,

Andrew

Comment

I'll check on their status today.

Comment

Have there been any recent developments with this?

Comment

Yes - Christian Konig got it fixed just before Christmas, and it was commited to radeonhd git master at end of December. Not sure if it has made it into any distro packages yet. Works great on my HD 4670!

Comment

Originally posted by AndyW View Post
                      Yes - Christian Konig got it fixed just before Christmas, and it was commited to radeonhd git master at end of December. Not sure if it has made it into any distro packages yet. Works great on my HD 4670!
                      My 4350 won't take it. I've got the two xorg.conf lines in there, aplay -l clearly shows it, MPlayer acts like everything is okay, I'm using 48 KHz sound with 16-bits per sample, alsamixer says it's unmuted...BUT NO SOUND!!!

I think I'll just wait for KMS to support it. That sounds like a much easier approach anyway.

Comment

@AndyW can you post your xorg.conf.

No sound on my HD 4650 on gentoo with radeonhd from git.

Thanks

Comment

Here it is: http://pastebin.com/j5CVRwiK

Pretty much the only place you need to check for HDMI audio settings is in Section "Device", and there I think it is only
                          Code:
                          	Option	    "Audio" "on"
                          that is required.

Can you give more info on what you have done & what the problem is?

Comment

First, sorry for my English but I'm French.

I add in my xorg.conf your setting but no sound.

HDMI audio is working fine with ati-drivers.

I've update radeonhd fron git wich support my chipset RV730.

Here is my xorg.conf

http://pastebin.com/K6DMhZib

Here is var/log/Xorg.0.log

http://pastebin.com/P8D8ux3z

aplay -l

Code:
                            **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
                            card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: HDA Generic [HDA Generic]
                              Subdevices: 1/1
                              Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
                            card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
                            If I run aplay -D plughw:1,3 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

Code:
                            Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
                            But no sound

I don't see any error message and I don't find what is wrong.

Comment

First sorry for my English but I am French

I have installed radeonhd from git wich support my chipset RV730
                              My card is working with ati-drivers.

I have put in my xorg.conf your settings.

Here is my xorg.conf

http://pastebin.com/hw9wGSCg

Here is my Xorg.log

http://pastebin.com/LvXqLyH2

My aplay -l

card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: HDA Generic [HDA Generic]
                              card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]

When I try
                              aplay -D plughw:1,3 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
                              I have
                              Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
                              But no sound

I have no error so I don't know where to search.

Thanks

P.S: Sorry if double post but I don't find my first message

Comment

Working...
                              X