Compiz Running With Mesa On R600/700 GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pure awesomeness!
    definitly going to buy a notebook with an amd gpu!

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
      pure awesomeness!
      definitly going to buy a notebook with an amd gpu!
      But why you do not buy complete AMD notebook. CPU,GPU and chipset

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
        Ubuntu should use the 2.6.31 when release, so, there will be no 3D support for r6xx/r7xx cards on Ubuntu 9.10.
        Ubuntu 9.04 did backport r6xx drm to their 2.6.28 kernel so I would not exclude the possibility of them doing it again.

Comment

Yeah also working here, alt-tabbing is slow though but it's working! Good progress, the OpenGL game neverball also runs now (although with some flickering and artifacts).

Comment

The article brought up R800, so I'm wondering if R800 will be clumped together with R600/RV700 and use the same set of drivers.
            It won't be like the transition from R500 to R600 right?

Also, as a KDE user, since it works with Compiz, does it work with Kwin?

Comment

dang, just moved back to fglrx for 3d goodness...
              (card: radeon 3200hd)

Still I can hope that this will lead to out of the box compiz on opensuse 11.2
              (I know it's dreaming for a bit too much... but what's the harm in hoping

Comment

Does anyone know the git url for this branch?

I knew buying a 780G would pay off

Comment

@Drago

Buying ATI Chipset + GPU as laptop is the worst case you can do. Look:

Technical support and discussion of the open-source AMD Radeon graphics drivers.

It is nice that you see a pic and xv is working and hopefully soon even compiz, but i consider it a bad deal when the binary driver does not run on pure AMD/ATI hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                    Does anyone know the git url for this branch?

I knew buying a 780G would pay off
                    mesa master:

My drm branch:

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
                      I would have liked to be that enthusiast but this won't happen.
                      To get a proper 3D support on r6xx/r7xx, you'll need the 2.6.32 (assuming the ATI devs would be in time to merge it to it next month).
                      Ubuntu should use the 2.6.31 when release, so, there will be no 3D support for r6xx/r7xx cards on Ubuntu 9.10.

That being said, I would like to tell that advanced users should use rolling distro so as more users could contribute to bug reporting.
                      ubuntu has a PPA with hot new xorg, mesa, libdrm

there are hot new kernels at http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

this seems just as good as compiling from git, but with a lower risk of breaking everything

Comment

Working...
                      X