Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm about to go out and get a 780G, what can I expect?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm about to go out and get a 780G, what can I expect?

Assuming everything goes to plan, in a few hours I'll be replacing my 6-year-old, loud, unstable, power-hungry Pentium 4 frankenstein monster with an AMD64 that's probably just as loud but runs slightly faster...

I've been holding off on this upgrade for a few months, but it looks like the driver side of things is starting to come together. What works and what doesn't right now?

You want to use onboard vga with fglrx or oss? With fglrx you will get lots of problems, like new kernel support, flickering videos and such things. With oss driver only 2d is supported well. I would definitly NOT use that onboard vga - you could get nvidia onboard too.

Comment

Yeah, I know onboard has always been a bit flaky, it's more of a stop-gap until I can get a real VGA card. I can live with 2D for now anyway.

Comment

With the oss Drivers you get 2D EXA and Xv. The 3D part has reached the glxgears milestone so maybe at end of the year you has 3D support for compiz etc.

About the fglrx i have no problem with it. But its true what Kano say about the Kernel Support. The latest supported version is .27 or .28
        Last edited by Nille; 07-21-2009, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Hmm... the total price wasn't anywhere as high as I expected so I've gone ahead and ordered a R700 card now as well. Not worth worrying about integrated graphics bugs just to save loose change.

Comment

You gain nothing with dedicated ATI. Those use the same drivers, only a NVIDIA gfx card would be better.
            Last edited by Kano; 07-21-2009, 09:22 AM.

Comment

If I wanted the "nVidia experience", I'd be buying a Mac instead.

Comment

fglrx experience is fully crap. Not even john carmack thinks that fglrx would be capable to run his latest id tech 5.

http://www.linuxgames.com/archives/14005

Comment

Well then I guess I'll consider that if I ever build a gaming PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    fglrx experience is fully crap. Not even john carmack thinks that fglrx would be capable to run his latest id tech 5.

http://www.linuxgames.com/archives/14005
                    This is not the problem from ATI or other Vendors but from OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                      This is not the problem from ATI or other Vendors but from OpenGL.
                      That isn't stated anywhere at all by Carmack, just an assumption made by some forum posters. Simple fact is that Carmack said that the NVIDIA binary driver can probably handle it, and the binary driver is OpenGL, so logically any other device should be able to handle it as well. It may be a question of requiring some NVIDIA extension, but there is nothing in the world that stops ATI or Intel or anyone else from implementing NVIDIA OpenGL extensions, no more than anything is stopping them from implementing full OpenGL 3.1 other than their own development priorities.

That's one of the neat things about OpenGL -- it is technically limitless in what it can do, as it forces neither the driver developers nor the application developers to stick to a fixed feature set.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
                        Assuming everything goes to plan, in a few hours I'll be replacing my 6-year-old, loud, unstable, power-hungry Pentium 4 frankenstein monster with an AMD64 that's probably just as loud but runs slightly faster...

I've been holding off on this upgrade for a few months, but it looks like the driver side of things is starting to come together. What works and what doesn't right now?
                        Just on the loudness: I have a 45W (all without display) idle system, 75W max, and besides the PSU and an ultraquiet case fan it is completely passively cooled. So nothing here with loudness.
                        I don't know about the large Phenoms, most of them will probably require active cooling but e.g. the 4850e can be passively cooled. The newer onboard HD3300 can become quite hot but then the powersaving is not yet implemented in the free drivers (but is to come soon). Most things here work, it is mainly the 3d and powersave functions I'm waiting for. All other parts seem to work, but then some things depend on manufracturer's implementation (sensor & IO chips like ITE, Fintek), Network chips, sound chips and so on, so you'll still have to look at the very motherboard you're going to buy.

Comment

Wau Kano. You are very very ATI/AMD unfriendly. Do you even have an ATI card?
                          I think his choice of card is very good. FGLRX is not that bad, and you can patch the driver to run on 2.6.30 and 2.6.31. Yes its not optimal, but something you can live with.

Besides he gets oss drivers sooner or later, and thats a very good thing in the long run! KMS here we come :P

Actually I'm sitting here with a HD3650 card, and I would choose ATI again! :O And I don't consider myself a fanboy even. I just don't got any problems with fglrx, what I am using it for (running native games). Kwin compositing runs quite good too, with a patched version of Xorg (don't know if its a driverfault or xorg).

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                            Just on the loudness: I have a 45W (all without display) idle system, 75W max, and besides the PSU and an ultraquiet case fan it is completely passively cooled. So nothing here with loudness.
                            I don't know about the large Phenoms, most of them will probably require active cooling but e.g. the 4850e can be passively cooled. The newer onboard HD3300 can become quite hot but then the powersaving is not yet implemented in the free drivers (but is to come soon). Most things here work, it is mainly the 3d and powersave functions I'm waiting for. All other parts seem to work, but then some things depend on manufacturer's implementation (sensor & IO chips like ITE, Fintek), Network chips, sound chips and so on, so you'll still have to look at the very motherboard you're going to buy.
                            Thanks for the info. Yeah, noise was one of the main things I was worried about. I made sure the graphics card was fanless, and I went for a slightly underpowered CPU instead of maxing it out. From what I've seen, CnQ seems to do a decent job of keeping noise down too.

I bought an almost-silent Atom box a few weeks back too, so I can offload all my server stuff to it. Previously that was all running on an old 70W Pentium 3, which wasn't bad, but even that was loud compared to the new one.

I'm not too worried about other drivers; if something critical doesn't work I've got a shelf full of spare PCI cards...

Comment

@tball

I got serveral ATI cards from Kanotix users, like 9700, 9800, X700 (Pro) (very short lifetime), and lately a 3450 HD just to optimize my fglrx script and to test the oss drivers.

I know how much work it is to collect patches for fglrx, some i found even myself. I do that since fglrx driver 3.2.8. I patched even the binary part of it to support Xserver 1.4 1 month before ATI provided updated drivers.

I guess I know the quality of ATI drivers, of course I own several NVIDIA cards up to 8800 GTS 512 too to compare both.

fglrx has much more rendering problems, completely unsupportet patches for new kernels only, bugs that are in the driver for over 1 year are completely normal. The driver is a piece of shit, i only support it because lots of Kanotix users have got ATI cards.

Comment

Working...
                              X