Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Improved Memory Security For Radeon DRM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Improved Memory Security For Radeon DRM

    Phoronix: Improved Memory Security For Radeon DRM

    Yesterday the TTM memory manager and Radeon kernel mode-setting code entered the mainline Linux kernel Git tree, which means it will be part of the next Linux 2.6.31 kernel release. In the 2.6.31 series this new Radeon driver will be marked as "staging" as there is still some work left to be accomplished and further testing needs to be done with this driver and different Radeon graphics cards...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzMzMw

  • #2
    Dear Phoronix,

    Can you please link to some mail archive other than the abomination that is sourceforge? Much appreciates - an anonymous user.

    Personally, I find gmane to be much more readable. and faster.

    Comment


    • #3
      Seconded. Gmane is so much easier to read, sourceforge could only be the worst choice for a link.

      Edit: adding the link:
      http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp....ri.devel/36435
      Last edited by susikala; 06-18-2009, 02:06 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Couldn't be bothered looking for it in gmane, but here you go:
        http://www.mail-archive.com/dri-deve.../msg40780.html

        Comment


        • #5
          when can we expect kms for r600-r700 to enter the kernel?

          Comment


          • #6
            The pacing item here is memory management for 6xx-7xx. We may need to release some additional HW info in order to finish memory management (specifically interrupts), not sure but looking into it.

            It's probably safe to say "either 2.6.31 or 2.6.32" but hard to be more precise.

            Comment


            • #7
              it's very subjective which parts should be developed earlier:

              for me it's definitely not KMS

              any info when additional power management support or improvements will be added to the xf86-video-ati or radeonhd driver ?

              currently my box is getting warmer several degrees (centigrade) which also implies higher power consumption compared to fglrx/catalyst, for several people there's also the problem of fast spinning fans which is unacceptable

              I know that 3D surely still takes a while for R600 or R700 but at least proper power management should be there

              (even without DRI it's already faster than fglrx during 2D operations )

              thanks

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
                it's very subjective which parts should be developed earlier: for me it's definitely not KMS

                any info when additional power management support or improvements will be added to the xf86-video-ati or radeonhd driver
                Here's the problem - additional power management support really needs to go in the kernel on top of KMS. The next real step in power management is dynamic adjustment of clocks and voltage, and that requires hooks into both modesetting and 2D/3D acceleration. The only place all that information comes together is in the kernel with KMS running, so that's where the power management code needs to go.

                It is certainly possible to build additional protocols to pass modesetting info from a userspace driver down to the kernel, but since KMS is already in progress none of the devs thing it's worth implementing a throw-away solution in userspace.

                Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
                currently my box is getting warmer several degrees (centigrade) which also implies higher power consumption compared to fglrx/catalyst, for several people there's also the problem of fast spinning fans which is unacceptable
                Are you already using ForceLowPowerMode and related options ?
                Last edited by bridgman; 06-18-2009, 05:59 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Have you tried the power management stuff in xf86-video-ati master and it isn't good enough?

                  I think the kernel MM is important to do ASAP because almost everything else they're doing right now relies on it working first. Power management can get tacked on at any time.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    3% ? That's nothing. 100% that's a big deal.

                    Actually I wonder where we are going in graphics. It is easy to think of things to use CPU power for, but what happens when we have GPU's that can do Lord of the Rings type of graphics real time?

                    Physics doesn't scale like graphics does. If you do physics that effect game play, you have to simulate it all the time. E.g. it would be bad if you knocked some boxes over, and they land in one way if you look at then, and if you turn around, while they fall, they land in a different way

                    So I think we will get GPU's that can do very close LotR movie quality in the next generation of GPU's.

                    I say "Lord of the Rings movie quality is enough for anyone", so let's just burn some percentages off on security

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      Here's the problem - additional power management support really needs to go in the kernel on top of KMS. The next real step in power management is dynamic adjustment of clocks and voltage, and that requires hooks into both modesetting and 2D/3D acceleration. The only place all that information comes together is in the kernel with KMS running, so that's where the power management code needs to go.

                      It is certainly possible to build additional protocols to pass modesetting info from a userspace driver down to the kernel, but since KMS is already in progress none of the devs thing it's worth implementing a throw-away solution in userspace.
                      I also realized this a few minutes after having written that post - so I guess both (KMS and better power management) will come soon

                      thanks bridgman and of course also to the other devs working on this one



                      Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      Are you already using ForceLowPowerMode and related options ?
                      yes I am, I guess:

                      Option "ForceLowPowerMode" "True"
                      Option "DynamicPM" "True"
                      Option "ClockGating" "True"
                      should be enough ?

                      I've read that dynamicclocks doesn't work on R600 or R700 or even leads to hardlocks so I've left that disabled ...

                      kernel is 2.6.30 w. drm and radeon kernel-modules, driver is: xf86-video-ati and mesa (both latest from upstream)

                      system: ~amd64 Gentoo

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Yeah, I'm happy to see power management go into the kernel, because that means it will be operating even if I boot up in text mode and never start the X server. (Which I do, quite often, because it still lets me get some work done faster...)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                          We may need to release some additional HW info in order to finish memory management (specifically interrupts), not sure but looking into it.

                          It's probably safe to say "either 2.6.31 or 2.6.32" but hard to be more precise.
                          Any ETA for this interrupts docs? And how is it possible to get it into .31? During -rc state, or it is so simple that you think there is possibility to release docs and code before merge window close? .31 will be great as it will provide huge base of testers from *buntu.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
                            I've read that dynamicclocks doesn't work on R600 or R700 or even leads to hardlocks so I've left that disabled ...
                            AFAIK ClockGating == DynamicClocks, it has just been renamed at some point to reflect more clearly what it does.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ssmaxss View Post
                              Any ETA for this interrupts docs? And how is it possible to get it into .31? During -rc state, or it is so simple that you think there is possibility to release docs and code before merge window close? .31 will be great as it will provide huge base of testers from *buntu.
                              No ETA on the doc yet; I'm just checking status of patent applications.

                              What I'm not sure of right now is whether interrupts are needed to make KMS/MM "work" or just to make it "nice". The only way it would get into 2.6.31 would be if the code glisse is already working on could go in without significant changes.

                              Hardware enablement is always a bit different from other driver/kernel enhancements, since if it's done right the chance breaking existing functionality is essentially zero and the worst that would happen is that the code has problems on some of the new hardware - vs not working at all before. It's one of those "on the fence" cases we'll need to deal with more now that core graphics support is moving into the kernel just like all the other hardware.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X