Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon KMS Code Goes Up For Review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Radeon KMS Code Goes Up For Review

    Phoronix: Radeon KMS Code Goes Up For Review

    Less than a day after the TTM memory management code was pushed out for review, the ATI kernel mode-setting driver is now getting ready for entrance into the Linux kernel too. Jerome Glisse has now announced on the kernel mailing list (as well as the DRI development list) that the Radeon KMS code is ready for review. This code, which is dependent upon the just-proposed TTM memory manager, places the video mode-setting into the Linux kernel and trails the Intel KMS driver, which entered the Linux 2.6.29 kernel...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzMxOQ

  • #2
    I always thought my AMD card wouldn't work full featured before the end of 2010. And something is telling me it can even get worse. The problem is, what's the point of all this? Isn't world ending 23 december 2012?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
      I always thought my AMD card wouldn't work full featured before the end of 2010. And something is telling me it can even get worse. The problem is, what's the point of all this? Isn't world ending 23 december 2012?
      Bah, only lemmings believe such things!

      On a more serious note, I wonder what that "potential security flaw" is?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Darkfire Fox View Post
        Bah, only lemmings believe such things!

        On a more serious note, I wonder what that "potential security flaw" is?

        Maybe gain root access through an exploit in the driver

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Darkfire Fox View Post
          On a more serious note, I wonder what that "potential security flaw" is?
          The issue is described in the announcement which is linked from the Phoronix article. Basically it is accessing memory of other processes.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by chithanh View Post
            The issue is described in the announcement which is linked from the Phoronix article.
            D'oh!

            Comment


            • #7
              Haha, this driver will be marked "crap" (others use the word "staging"). Did the Intel driver ever belong to "crap"?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Haha, this driver will be marked "crap" (others use the word "staging").
                not quite: http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Introduc...x_Staging_Tree

                note that the old memory model did not do any guarantees at all. So its just about a new feature to be tested out.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Uhm, I'm referring to the fact that "crap" is used to describe the staging tree :P

                  See http://lwn.net/Articles/300890

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Just a quick question :

                    Will I get DRI2 with the 2.6.31 or will radeon still lack of something ?

                    I just want to make sure before celebrating :d

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X