Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing Out ATI Kernel Mode-Setting On Ubuntu

Phoronix: Testing Out ATI Kernel Mode-Setting On Ubuntu

Kernel mode-setting for Intel graphics hardware can already be found in the mainline Linux kernel and will be included by default in the release of Ubuntu 9.10 later this year. While Intel's kernel mode-setting support has been maturing in a steadfast manner, this support has not been moving along quite as fast for ATI and NVIDIA hardware. It is possible we will see ATI/AMD kernel mode-setting along with the necessary memory management support enter the Linux 2.6.31 kernel and potentially see this feature appear in Ubuntu 9.10 as an end-user option, but currently this support is still deemed under development. For those with ATI Radeon hardware looking to test out kernel mode-setting, there is now a Launchpad PPA and a LiveCD available for testing out these mode-setting capabilities atop Ubuntu.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There is also no kernel mode-setting at this time for the ATI Radeon R600/700 (HD 2000 series and later) hardware.
    So how is KMS support on those chips coming along? Can we expect to see some fruit in the over-next round of distros?

Comment

I did fall asleep during the first video, which cannot be good

Comment

Because of the bootmedia. I prefer booting from USB - hybrid or converted to syslinux (for beginners maybe using unetbootin) or network boot. 2 min is extreme... when you installed once from USB/network then you know that you only use a cd/dvd if you can not boot it in another way. Not sure if you could gain a few seconds using aufs, the new U kernels do not have got aufs or unionfs, but the live image is using unionfs-fuse. Compared to Kanotix is definitely lools slow Old pcs can try PLoP Boot Manager, thats needed for one via based s775 oem board - it did not work with s775 intel or nforce3 boards. 45s from USB or 100mbit network is no problem.

Comment

Michael:
          Could you provide an alternative for people that have no flash installed? Just upload it here for example:

Or tell us with a comment here that we are allowed to upload (read: to convert it from youtube to there, see http://tinyvid.tv/convert to there) it there.

Thanks

Comment

ATI + Fedora + KMS? Is it possible? I may try out that distro, if so.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Monkey_King View Post
              ATI + Fedora + KMS? Is it possible? I may try out that distro, if so.
              Fedora was the first distro to ever provide KMS (it was in F10 as experimental) and it's in F11 and it will definitely be in F12 (F12 will also likely be the first to have r6xx/r7xx kms support). So to sumup Fedora is the easiest way to test KMS

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                Michael:
                Could you provide an alternative for people that have no flash installed?
                Gnash works fine, and it's free software.

Comment

Originally posted by remm View Post
                  Gnash works fine, and it's free software.
                  Don't start again. We had that already. bugmenot will not use Flash ever.

People who don't want a Flash plugin installed and are on Firefox might want to try the "DownloadHelper" add-on for Firefox. It should be able to fetch the *.mp4 file of the video.

Comment

I just try to stay with fedora without enabling 3rd repositories (so also no mp3 support) as long as possible ^^.

And it works, but it would be nice if i got permission by michael to put this on http://tinyvid.tv

Flash is simply not necessary in my opinion for videos. But yes, no discussion, that's not the topic here, you are right, RealNC.

Comment

Working...
                    X