Testing radeon KMS on Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tormod View Post
    On Jaunty, the VBE POST on resume quirk is configured in /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/20-video-quirk-pm-*

Check /var/log/pm-suspend to see which quirks are in use.

On Karmic these quirks should be automatically disabled when KMS is in use (by /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98smart-kernel-video).
    after disabling VBE there, I could finally start an Xserver with radeon on my jaunty setup.
    At least for EXA/2D - 3D is still dog slow. Might it be that GDM starts its own Xserver which get in conflict?
    Does your liveCD use GDM?

Comment

For Jaunty, to disable all the suspend video quirks, download http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-main...-video;hb=HEAD and correct the typo in it, make it executable and copy it to /etc/pm-utils/sleep.d:
      Code:
      sed -i 's/add_parameter/add_parameters/' 98smart-kernel-video
      chmod 755 98smart-kernel-video
      sudo cp 98smart-kernel-video /etc/pm/sleep.d/
      Remember to delete /etc/pm/sleep.d/98smart-kernel-video again when upgrading to Karmic.

Unfortunately, suspend and hibernation is still broken my Jaunty system.

EDIT: You can also find a backport for Jaunty of the Karmic pm-utils in the PPA.
      Last edited by tormod; 09 June 2009, 02:19 AM. Reason: pm-utils in PPA

Comment

My experience

I tried the CD image, on a Thinkpad T60 with a Radeon X1400 Mobile and an SXGA+ screen (probably the same machine as mentioned in the article).

Except for the boot experience not being very pretty (nor very fast, from a USB stick), it works rather well. Especially:

* VT switching works fine
        * DRI2 works all right, can move around glxgears in a wobbly window without corruption
        * Changing resolution up and down works, even without crashing compiz, which is a first for me.

That said, the main downside is that it's considerably slower than the current architecture, for both 2D and 3D operations it seemed to me.

Comment

I can confirm that both suspend and hibernation is broken, but I am not sure if it is KMS or another kernel problem.
          For me this the first time suspend works out of the box though

Earlier I had to use s2ram and some hacks for it to make it work.

Comment

There is now a new kernel in the radeon-kms PPA, based on 2.6.30 final. It is included in the new live CD version 0.14kms. Unfortunately, suspend is still broken on my gear, even though the new kernel includes the fix "radeon: fix suspend/resume on PCIE card".

EDIT: My own suspend problem is a karmic one and not a kms one: A mainline 2.6.30 kernel suspends fine, the stock karmic kernel does not.
            Last edited by tormod; 21 June 2009, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DF5JT View Post
              [1] Is there chance for the near future to get
              * GL_ARB_multitexture
              * GL_EXT_framebuffer_object
              * GL_ARB_shader_objects
              * GL_ARB_shading_language_100
              * GL_ARB_fragment_shader
              working with my FireGL card? I *really* would like to make use of GPU accelerated flash videos.
              I think GL_ARB_multitexture has existed for a while. GL_EXT_framebuffer_object probably comes eventually, taken its time since it apparently needs a kernel memory manager to be doable sensibly. Unsure about the rest. (Just an educated guess: at latest in Gallium; seems to me a driver that supports OpenGL 2.0 should be plenty more than sufficient for them all and Gallium should provide that)

Comment

The above page also links to a Karmic-based live CD image (URL might change) which has all bits installed and simply boots up to the wonderful world of KMS...
                I tried this on an nforce2 motherboard with an x1950pro AGP card - unfortunately it doesn't boot:

[drm:radeon_driver_load_kms] *ERROR* Failed to initalize radeon. Disabling IOCTL

Comment

Originally posted by runrun View Post
                  I tried this on an nforce2 motherboard with an x1950pro AGP card - unfortunately it doesn't boot:

[drm:radeon_driver_load_kms] *ERROR* Failed to initalize radeon. Disabling IOCTL
                  Did you run the latest 0.14kms CD? And did you read comment #2 in this thread?

Comment

There is now a new kernel in the radeon-kms PPA, based on 2.6.30 final. It is included in the new live CD version 0.14kms. Unfortunately, suspend is still broken on my gear, even though the new kernel includes the fix "radeon: fix suspend/resume on PCIE card".
                    Thanks a lot for sharing the news about the new kernel. Suspend works like a charm now on my box.

L.E.: hibernate does not work though. When I try to hibernate it does not turn off the PC, instead I have to push the power off button on the case and on the next boot it hangs
                    Last edited by samentu; 20 June 2009, 08:31 AM.

Comment

I tried to boot the live CD from a USB memory stick (copied using the isotostick shell script) and it failed with some complaint about squashfs version mismatch. Anyone else using it?

Comment

Working...
                      X